Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ignac jakovac
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the manual (page 13 - Ship Damage), damaged destroyer can still RAS and ram subs. I'm assuming here RAS applies to both Fuel and Weapons.

In FAQ by the designer however, it is stated following:

After a ‘Tactical' repair the weapon system is available and can be used to fire as many salvoes as were onboard the destroyer at the time that the damage was incurred. So, if at the time the damage occurred the destroyer had 2 salvoes onboard, the destroyer could return to sea after a ‘Tactical’ repair and fire those 2 salvoes but would not be able to rearm until the ‘Engineering’ repair has been carried out.

Does FAQ refers to not being able to rearm in ice-station - or perhaps rearm to full capacity of 3 - until Engineering is repaired?

or

Or is the manual correct by allowing full RAS or perhaps fuel-only RAS?

Thanks
ig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, is that a damaged ship could only use RAS to replenish fuel - it would have to visit an ice station to carry out repairs. The docks have better tool kits and warehouses of spare parts perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Benford
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the question Ig. Mark has it right and the rulebook and Q&A are in agreement.

The key lies in the definition of the Engineering Repair: "Ship Damage (page 13, 3rd paragraph) … an engineering repair restores maximum fuel capacity, salvo capacity and move distance." (i.e. 100 units, 3 salvoes & 18 squares). So, until this repair has been carried out a destroyer is limited to a maximum fuel load of 80 units, the weapon load onboard when the ship was damaged and a move of 6 squares* (*can of course be reduced further by the weather).

A RAS, or a visit to an ice-station, before an engineering repair has been completed could achieve refuelling to a maximum of 80 units (the fuel tanks are still damaged) but no weapons (the ability to increase the salvoes carried is unavailable: i.e. ’salvo capacity’). Once the engineering repair has been carried out a destroyer can refuel and rearm as normal.

Hope this helps. Andy

[Edits: better phrasing!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.