Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Nelson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gigamons is a game by Johann Roussel and Karim Aouidad, published by Blue Orange Games. It is for 2-4 players. In this game, players will be trying to master the Gigamons. To do this they'll have to collect enough Elemons to be able to summon one to their side. They'll have to be careful though as their opponents can steal their newly acquired Gigamon from them. The player that can summon 3 Gigamons first will be declared the winner.

To begin, all of the Elemon tiles should be shuffled together face down. A 3 x 3 square is then created from a random selection of tiles. The remaining tiles are placed in a face down stack to the side of the main play area. The 7 Gigamons and 3 Rock tokens are placed where all players can reach them. Each player is given a reference card that explains what each Elemon does and which Gigamon it summons. The first player is chosen and play now begins.

The game is played through a series of turns. On a player's turn they will flip over 2 tiles. If the tiles are different, they are flipped back over. If a Polymon is one of the 2 tiles flipped over, this counts as a match. If the 2 tiles match, the player takes the 2 Elemon and places them in front of themself. The Elemon's power is then triggered. There are 7 different types of Elemons, each with a different power.

Polymon: Acts as a wild Elemon and will form a match with any other Elemon. However it does not activate the other Elemon's power that it matched with.

Floramon: Allows the player to take a tile from the top of the draw pile and adds it to their other Elemons in front of themself.

Aeromon: Allows the player to swap an Elemon tile in front of themself with another tile in front of another player of their choice.

Pyromon: Allows the player to choose an Elemon tile in front of another player and remove it from the game.

Hydromon: Allows the player to peek at four of the face down tiles in the 3 x 3 grid.

Geomon: Lets the player place a rock tile on one of the face down Elemon tiles in the 3 x 3 grid. This rock tile makes it so that no other player may pick up the tile below the rock until the player who placed it takes their next turn.

Electromon: Gives the player an extra turn.

As soon as a player collects 3 Elemons of the same type, they are then able to trade them in to summon the Gigamon associated with it, placing it in front of themself. If an opponent has the Gigamon in front of them, the player is able to steal it and place it with any of their other summoned Gigamons.

Once the player has either made a match and used the Elemon's power or had to flip both tiles back over because they didn't match, play then passes to the next player in turn order. This continues back and forth until one of 2 things happens. If a player summons all 3 Gigamons to their side, they win. If the stack of Elemon tiles is emptied, the game ends and the player with the most Gigamons is the winner.

COMPONENTS
This game has some of the most adorable and cute looking pieces that I've ever seen. The tiles are all thick and sturdy cardboard as are the large standups and rock tokens. The tiles have all the different Elemons that make up the 3 x 3 grid. The standups represent all the different Gigamons that you'll be trying to summon. The rock tokens are used to block others from flipping a certain tile. The artwork on all these is really fun and cute. I love the look and feel of the game, so does my daughter. She loves the cute character styles. Of course she had her favorite Gigamons that she just had to have. She got a little upset with me when I got them before she did. There's also some great reference cards that help you remember what each Elemon does and which Gigamon it summons when you collect 3 of them. I really think this is one of the most adorable games. About the only problem that I had with this game's components would be the box. It's a rather odd shaped box that doesn't exactly fit the best on the shelf. Of course, that's only a small gripe and is something that I can deal with easily. Overall the game is really cute.
9 out of 10

RULEBOOK
The rulebook is really nice looking. It's very colorful and easy to read through. It's got plenty of great pictures and examples. I really like how nice the book is. It only takes a couple of minutes to read through as the game isn't very difficult. I really like the look and feel of the book and think that it covers everything really well. Overall it's really well designed.
9 out of 10

GAMEPLAY
This game is just SO adorable. It made me think of Pokemon when I saw it, except cuter. My daughter and I are not big fans of memory style games. I was hoping that since this game involved special powers, that it might change our minds. Boy, was I right! This is so much fun. Even I enjoyed it. It's fun collecting the different Elemon and using their powers as you try to get enough to summon a Gigamon. My daughter absolutely loved playing the game. However, she didn't like the stealing aspect of certain Elemons. She let me know that stealing was wrong. Wow, I guess even us adults can learn from a kid. I'll say that the whole memory aspect of the game felt a lot less boring and inconsequential to me as it does in other Memory style games. I'd say that if you hate Memory games, then this one might actually change your mind. It works great with younger players like my daughter and yet it was actually fun enough that I enjoyed playing it. It doesn't take long to play either, only about 10 minutes or so. My daughter repeatedly asked to play it again. I will say that some times you can get a runaway leader if they make certain matches as some of the Elemon are a bit more powerful than others. I only had that happen like 1 time but it is something that you should be aware of. This is a great game to play with your kids. The cuteness of the game will attract the younger players and keep them entertained. I highly recommend this one as a great family game. My daughter loved the Gigamon so much that after we got through playing, she started playing with the Gigamon by themselves, telling stories. Looks like I got the added benefit of this encouraging creating thinking as well as improving her memory skills. It's a really great game.
9 out of 10

OVERALL
Gigamons is a cute memory style game with special powers. It's really quick and simple to play. Most games last around 10 minutes or so. The components are really good quality and very durable. The artwork is super adorable and cute. My daughter absolutely loves the Gigamons. She even starting telling stories with the standups after we finished playing. This game helps improve memory skills and in my case, helped my duaghter's creative thinking as well. It's a great game that younger players will be drawn to thanks to the cute artwork. It's a wonderful family style game that both younger players and adults can both enjoy. I'm not a fan of memory style games but I love this one. I highly recommend this game and think it's one that families with younger players should definitely own. My daughter and I both approve of this one. It's Giga-FUN!
9 out of 10

For more information about this and other great games, please check out Blue Orange Games at their site.

http://www.blueorangegames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.