6 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » General

Subject: Questions concerning the upgrade off your Bannerman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Gadoury
msg tools
The Banner Saga: Warbands

I just got the Kikstarter version of Banner Saga Warband and I Have some question abouts the banner ranking and the upgrade of your bannerman.

In the rules, it say "After each event is resolved, each role may choose to spend renown to purchase an upgrade for their bannerman. These rewards must be purchased in order. Once a role purchases an upgrade they immediately receive the benefit from that upgrade. If this upgrade is for the gold ability the bannerman’s banner rank increases to a gold banner.Upgrades are purchased in the following order:
1. Willpower 2. Gold Ability
"

If I understand correctly, once you paid the 2 renown for the willpower upgrade, your next upgrade is the gold ability. So when do you get the silver ability??? Do you always get it for free??? Do you have to be at the silver banner rank??? They dont mention anything close to an answer except on the Thane sheet in the "deeds of valor section" in witch he can upgrade his willpower, then his silver ability, then his gold ability (witch make more sens).

Also, the way I understand the rules, its the warmaster's banner rank that determine the banner rank of your bannerman during combat(but not your follower). Since the gold ability upgrade put your bannerman's banner directy to gold, the banner rank on the warmaster seems a bit useless. You just have to all upgrade to gold.

If im right, thoses rules feels strange to me... there is 2 completly different ways to upgrade your ability and they dont seems to fit together verry well.

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my first language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure on upgrading, but in regards to the Warmaster's banner, I believe those tiers are just thematic and don't play a part in gameplay or bannerman/follower level at all. (just increased group willpower, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
On page 11, on the bannerman card, item #3 is the banner rank. The icon on each card shows the bannerman symbol surrounded by a silver ring. I interpret that to mean that each bannerman starts each skirmish at silver, unless they have been upgraded to gold. This would also explain why there is no renown cost on the silver ability.

The warband banner rank is different that the bannerman banner rank. The warband banner rank impacts group willpower, losses from war and deploying followers (as per the warmaster role board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Gadoury
msg tools

This is frustrating that something so important must be deduce rather than being clearly explained...
Im not sure you are right because if all bannerman are always silver rank, why the Thane have the possibility to upgrade to silver rank in the "Deeds of valor" section of his board?

Also, if all bannerman are slways silver, it makes half of the skirmishes incredibly easy... Unless you are playing badly on purpose, you just can't lose any member of the party versu either a scouts, a encounter or an ambush skirmishes. Only the swarm and the elite can lead to some "death" in your party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting at silver is correct. I did some digging and found this:

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1425/rulebook

I share the opinion of some others that the Thane role was overlooked when changes were made for Bannerman to start at Silver ranking and that it was an oversight. Still waiting on full confirmation of that, though.

I do agree that it feels pretty sloppy to not have this explained clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For anyone that missed the FAQ thread, the official ruling has been given here:

http://megacongames.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1985/banner...

The banner rank icon on the thane card is incorrect. All bannermen start at silver rank, except the thane, which starts at bronze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.