Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Are Rebels OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cordel Finton
msg tools
Played about 16 games with a buddy. We found a pretty solid strategy where the rebels win most of the time. If they just stack their base, get ion cannons and up their spaceships, the empire can't win past the first few turns. The base gets so stacked and the Death Star gets destroyed every time. There's no hope for the empire.
We usually end around turn 7 or 8. Are we playing wrong? Is this Rebels strategy broken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're doing that, the Imperial player should be moving all over the galaxy and conquering every good production spot. It's tough for a Rebel player to build up much of anything, since the Imperials are conquering every spot they can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend usually finds a production type and denies it to me throughout the game. Generally, she either chooses corvettes or structures.

By having her starting fleets subjugate those worlds dropping a good sized space or land garrison there and following up with loyalty shifts, some type of vital unit gets into very short supply.

As far as Death Stars getting blown up, the Rebel player is either having really good luck, or the Imperial isn't providing adequate fighter support. If you are not rolling 5 black dice when defending your Death Star, you are not protecting it. Sure, there will be times that eh Death Star gets blown up, but that shouldn't be the norm.

If the Rebels are amassing a huge fighter force, you should be interdicting it before it gets anywhere near your Death Star. There should be a destroyer fleet somewhere nearby to get between them and the Death Star. If not, you are probably spreading your forces too thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of the Death Star is to bypass ground defenses after you have won the space battle and just toast the planet from orbit. Once the battle has been resolved in both theatres, Empire can have a leader activate later in the same turn to fire the superlaser once acquired.

While the Rebels have some good characters for missions, their space fleet is rather poor. They can be outnumbered easily by Imperial production and they have an invincible unit. As the Empire, start amassing production and just roll across the galaxy like a large, heavy carpet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
The purpose of the Death Star is to bypass ground defenses after you have won the space battle and just toast the planet from orbit. Once the battle has been resolved in both theatres, Empire can have a leader activate later in the same turn to fire the superlaser once acquired.

While the Rebels have some good characters for missions, their space fleet is rather poor. They can be outnumbered easily by Imperial production and they have an invincible unit. As the Empire, start amassing production and just roll across the galaxy like a large, heavy carpet.

This is one of the reason you don't want to send the death star to a location that is too off to one corner of the galaxy.
Also if you know this is a regular strategy make sure that you move your other fleets to the small corners early in the game, to check and hopefully destroy what the rebels have there. You have 3 turns before the rebels have and Mon Cal Cruisers, thats a lot of movements that you can go and most likely win on a discovered base.

Plus, the empire has a basic card that exists solely to counter the strategy of stockpiling units in the base. Just draw probe cards if they have 8 or more units.
Also as someone posted above, don't let them have loyalty on so many planets, make sure they can't produce speeders and as little ships as possible.

I find it easier to win as the empire, although I really believe the game is completely balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Trying to outproduce the empire?

Yeah... good luck with that.

Turtling only works if you're able to also deny production to the empire. or hide your base long enough that by the time they find you they can't beat your forces. Which requires a combination of luck and a bad empire player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeri Rotthier
Belgium
Hemiksem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also,

If you can keep your base hidden AND you have loyalty in your base system, you can put out a maximum of 4 units per turn on that system.
If by bolstering your forces you can actually put out that many per turn.
Rules state 2 per loyal system per turn. The HIDDEN base counts as a system.

If the empire is smart, you won't have the troops to fill it up that much, and will be jumping your base asap with a small force.
Leaving your base revealed and giving you 2 unit deployment options only.

If you move your base, your units don't follow automatically, you need a mission for that.

I see a number of very easy ways to counter that bolstering theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
TheGibson wrote:
Also,

If you can keep your base hidden AND you have loyalty in your base system, you can put out a maximum of 4 units per turn on that system.
If by bolstering your forces you can actually put out that many per turn.
Rules state 2 per loyal system per turn. The HIDDEN base counts as a system.

If the empire is smart, you won't have the troops to fill it up that much, and will be jumping your base asap with a small force.
Leaving your base revealed and giving you 2 unit deployment options only.

If you move your base, your units don't follow automatically, you need a mission for that.

I see a number of very easy ways to counter that bolstering theory.

that is the advantage of picking a populous system for the rebel base. The disadvantage is that if the empire gains loyalty in the system they reveal the base. So it gives them more ways to discover your base.

And the whole focusing on ground thing can indeed be a problem as ground forces are far less mobile and much more difficult to relocate to a moved base as opposed to fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
xColonelxTurtle wrote:
Played about 16 games with a buddy. We found a pretty solid strategy where the rebels win most of the time. If they just stack their base, get ion cannons and up their spaceships, the empire can't win past the first few turns. The base gets so stacked and the Death Star gets destroyed every time. There's no hope for the empire.
We usually end around turn 7 or 8. Are we playing wrong? Is this Rebels strategy broken?

Why don't you bring a death star and just blast the whole planet away?
If you "know" that the rebel player just turtles in, you can concentrate on building a second death star as soon as possible, position them strategically and then rush the probe cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played a lot so I might be missing something in the rules, but...

If you're stacking ships and ion cannons... how do you stop the ground troops? As soon as they win the ground battle, they win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vip_chicken wrote:

If you're stacking ships and ion cannons... how do you stop the ground troops? As soon as they win the ground battle, they win the game.

No, they don't. Ground troops REVEAL the base. But to win the game, the Empire needs to control that system completely.

This is a very common misconception. No idea why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
vip_chicken wrote:

No, they don't. Ground troops REVEAL the base. But to win the game, the Empire needs to control that system completely.

This is a very common misconception. No idea why.

The comment probably is about the ground combat. If one Stormtrooper engages buildings only, if that trooper survives one round then all buildings are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
xColonelxTurtle wrote:

I've played the Rebels five times and I've had my ass kicked all five times! If you ask me the Empire is way over powered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.