Subject: New FFG Info - Talents and Talismans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sérgio Alves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some news from FFG:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/23/talents...

This time focused on the character professions and talents, with lots of new cards spoiled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really digging the art in this game so far:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy ... I'm in dire need of more time ... this looks so awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Alves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hype increases each time one of this articles cones out cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I love the fact that even futzing around with your level zero cards costs experience! That's really going to make these character decks feel like a single person through the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Oh man, I love the fact that even futzing around with your level zero cards costs experience! That's really going to make these character decks feel like a single person through the campaign.

I feel the exact opposite. To me it feels like an arbitrary restriction to deck building (especially when you want to try out those shiny new cards in the latest Mythos/Deluxe pack mid-campaign). I'll give it go at first, but I feel I will ignore this rule very quickly. But I'm a player who's more interested in the mechanics of the game vs the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soullos wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

I feel the exact opposite. To me it feels like an arbitrary restriction to deck building (especially when you want to try out those shiny new cards in the latest Mythos/Deluxe pack mid-campaign). I'll give it go at first, but I feel I will ignore this rule very quickly. But I'm a player who's more interested in the mechanics of the game vs the story.

But those are the mechanics? It's not just from a story aspect, but mechanically it makes your decisions more meaningful. It's like a Legacy game, in a way--your choices are going to echo down the line.

If you can just swap your deck around easily like LotR, you're going to end up with that same situation--the game becomes all about building your deck over and over to beat the scenario rather than actually about playing.

The way Arkham is set up, indicates that it'll be all about the actual PLAY, and balanced around your actions in game, rather than around whether or not you built a top-tier deck with fore-knowledge of that particular scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Akmal
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
The replayability is gonna be insane with 5 classes to choose from. Wake me up when september ends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
soullos wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

But those are the mechanics? It's not just from a story aspect, but mechanically it makes your decisions more meaningful. It's like a Legacy game, in a way--your choices are going to echo down the line.

If you can just swap your deck around easily like LotR, you're going to end up with that same situation--the game becomes all about building your deck over and over to beat the scenario rather than actually about playing.

The way Arkham is set up, indicates that it'll be all about the actual PLAY, and balanced around your actions in game, or around whether or not you built a top-tier deck with fore-knowledge of that particular scenario.

There's also the matter that the scenarios are designed with the knowledge that you're starting with a zero-level character.

If you throw in high-level cards from the get go, it will make the game significantly easier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

That and the theme are the only reason I am interested in this game. I owned a box load of The LOTR LCG and ended up selling it all because I realized that I just do not enjoy deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
soullos wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

The way Arkham is set up, indicates that it'll be all about the actual PLAY, and balanced around your actions in game, rather than around whether or not you built a top-tier deck with fore-knowledge of that particular scenario.

Maybe I should've clarified. My biggest beef with this rule is that it limits deck building mid-campaign if I buy a new Mythos pack or Deluxe box that includes some nice 0-level cards that would be perfect for my current deck. I'm not going to restart the campaign to try out the new cards. That's a waste of my time. If I would build an entirely new deck, sure I'll start over, otherwise I will tweak the deck with the new cards mid-campaign and continue to enjoy the game, XP be damned. Sometimes a card doesn't work, sometimes you want to experiment, or you got some shiny new cards. I don't like the idea of being locked into a deck once I get the ball rolling. I will tweak and modify the deck to my heart's content. If it's legal to put into your deck at the start of the campaign, I don't have any qualms continuing that trend mid-campaign. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
InkSplat wrote:
soullos wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

The way Arkham is set up, indicates that it'll be all about the actual PLAY, and balanced around your actions in game, or around whether or not you built a top-tier deck with fore-knowledge of that particular scenario.

There's also the matter that the scenarios are designed with the knowledge that you're starting with a zero-level character.

If you throw in high-level cards from the get go, it will make the game significantly easier...

He's only suggesting ignoring the "exp for level 0 card swaps" rule, not any level of card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have the full rules. It might be that you pay experience to add level zero cards to your deck, but you can exchange level zero cards for free? Is the the 30 card limit only on creation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own, it is a co-operative game anyway. I find the xp swapping is part of the strategy of the game in it's own right. It'll make each choice when building your deck that much more important (do I really need this flashlight? Or should I bring along that bulletproof vest instead?)

I imagine it as you're on an ongoing investigation. You can only bring so much with you, and in between scenarios you only have time to swap out so many things. Heck, even buying a new mythos pack with new level 0 cards I'll gladly use xp for. Hey, we've just found a new location with all these things in it, what do we have time to grab and learn to use properly (makes sense in an xp sort of way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another consideration is we don't really know about how many XP we can expect to be earning after each scenario. It's very possible that we'll be getting enough that spending the odd 1 every now and again to switch in a new 0 cost card won't feel too much like a waste. The designers are also gamers and they are well aware we're going to want to try out new cards as soon as we get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
viresium wrote:
We don't have the full rules. It might be that you pay experience to add level zero cards to your deck, but you can exchange level zero cards for free? Is the the 30 card limit only on creation?

Having more cards is generally seen as a disadvantage, so that wouldn't make much sense. Besides, all the other deckbuilding rules on the Investigator sheet hold true for leveling up (otherwise, the level restrictions wouldn't make any sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gustave154 wrote:
The replayability is gonna be insane with 5 classes to choose from. Wake me up when september ends

This game is going to be insane no matter what. I mean, it's Arkham Horror, how much more insane could you get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
viresium wrote:

Having more cards is generally seen as a disadvantage, so that wouldn't make much sense. Besides, all the other deckbuilding rules on the Investigator sheet hold true for leveling up (otherwise, the level restrictions wouldn't make any sense).

You're probably right, my larger point though was that without seeing the full rules it's hard to judge whether one rule in particular doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:
InkSplat wrote:
soullos wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

He's only suggesting ignoring the "exp for level 0 card swaps" rule, not any level of card.

I see... Well, it still leads to a deck more powerful than it "should" be, as you've got more XP than you should have to spend on the higher level cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viresium wrote:

Nope, we know the answer to these questions.

The customizable deck size is a requirement, no more, no less.
If you want to add a new card you have to remove an old one.
Level zero cards cost one xp to add to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing a card costs a minimum of 1 xp basically. I don't think it will make a huge difference to ignore that for basic cards, so long as you aren't changing your entire deck every game, I might consider it just to try interesting new cards without starting again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's to say the Mythos Packs will even have level zero cards? If they tie in that much to the Deluxe sets, wouldn't it make sense to have leveled up versions of cards from the main set in the packs? Probably a question that won't be completely answered until they officially announce and start previewing the cycle packs. Granted, I don't know if that will affect how worthwhile the packs are alone, but it makes sense design-wise and I also have no issues with spending an XP to swap out a card anyway, as it makes it more meaningful.

I also fully intend to go through the campaigns with multiple investigators/decks; if I could build another, completely different feeling deck at the end of a cycle with the same investigator, then that sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think getting a new pack and getting too many identical art cards with higher xp costs wouldnt be that exciting. I hope to see more new cards which cost XP. I would hope for at least some 0 cost cards in the packs though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Matthew - we don't know the distribution model yet; it's all speculation. Perhaps a campaign will be released all together, as one set. In that case, there won't be any "new, shiny" level-zero cards surprising you mid-campaign. If you want to swap one L0 for another, you're changing course to pick up a card you had previously dismissed, and are consequently "punished" by having to spend an XP.

Ignoring the costs to switch out cards erases the tension of making those hard choices, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We do know that a campaign won't be released all as one set. The previews for the Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion specifically state that it's the beginning of a campaign that will be continued in the Mythos packs that follow it.

That said, it's entirely possible that all the 0-level cards will be in the core and deluxe sets. If you have to pay a minimum of 1 xp to swap out a card mid-campaign, they might as well just include cards that are level 1+ in the Mythos packs, since level 1 and level 0 will be functionally the same at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.