Subject: Non-Painting Options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: This may have been covered somewhere other than a MoM2E forum, if so please point me in right direction.

I have zero artistic talent when it comes to painting, however I would like to do something with my characters. Would something like a white spray basecoat with some quickshade dip be an improvement or would I just be wasting my time? I was also thinking of a different color for investigators and monsters but certainly not black as I think you'd lose a lot of detail. Perhaps a shade of green? I don't even know if they have a green spray basecoat....

I have no experience with this and would be my first attempt so any advice before I take the plunge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White basecoat spray with one colour wash is actually quite estethic, like a chess set with for example ivory pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I do think my minis look better after I base coat them flat white. It brings out the detail more. I don't know about a wash/dip but it might add some shadows never tried it though as I always paint first.
Just remember, you will need to clear coat as the primer will wear off pretty fast without protection.

Actually, since this is set in the 20's, I wonder if you could give all the minis a grey scale look? You know kind of old black & white B movie look. That could be kind of cool. A medium grey, whit light grey dry brushing of highlights and then a darker grey wash... It's an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to worry about painting and don't mind the mini's being a single color, get krylon or rustoleum primer and paint in one. Make sure it's the kind used for plastic. You could spray the characters in 1 color and the monsters in another. Don't forget to wash them first or it won't matter what you put on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Well, I do think my minis look better after I base coat them flat white. It brings out the detail more. I don't know about a wash/dip but it might add some shadows never tried it though as I always paint first.
Just remember, you will need to clear coat as the primer will wear off pretty fast without protection.

Actually, since this is set in the 20's, I wonder if you could give all the minis a grey scale look? You know kind of old black & white B movie look. That could be kind of cool. A medium grey, whit light grey dry brushing of highlights and then a darker grey wash... It's an idea.

Oh, I like that. I may just give that a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:

Totally agree. Check out these monochromatic zombicide figures: http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2014/08/zombici.... I think the MoM figures would look great like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jwalker1140 wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Totally agree. Check out these monochromatic zombicide figures: http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2014/08/zombici.... I think the MoM figures would look great like this.

Oh, wow...those monochromatic figures look awesome! I like the black and white movie theme, that was a great idea. There even was a green zombie batch also (although a little brighter than I'd use for Lovecraft).

Starting with a nice light grey look sounds good and I could add some darker touches in if I were feeling adventurous later. Can you paint over the primer/paint combo krylon or rustoleum spray (and it stick) after it dries or even longer delay? I assume you don't need to clearcoat the combo spray.

Will definitely wash them first to get off the mold release stuff and trim the extra plastic flash and seams.

Thank you!!thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Thowe are impressive but she has a high level of skill, anything she paints will come out gorgeous. I hope yours come out as well as you expeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting minis is way easier than it looks, I say dive in and try your hand at fully painting them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Painting minis is way easier than it looks, I say dive in and try your hand at fully painting them!

This thread has me thinking maybe give it a shot...we'll see.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/448494/last-night-earth-zom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schu Bo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

I started practicing with some of the extra cultists I had from the first edition. It is pretty fun. Definitely want to paint them all. Getting all the colours I need will be the problem haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper sells two Learn to Paint Kits. First gets you through monsters, second through the humans. You can get them at a better discount at FRPGames (though will pay shipping) or MSRP direct from Reaper ($35 for free shipping). Because of Halloween, Reaper will have a promotional event, in which they will add free stuff to your order (order twice!).

FRPGames:
http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=89774
http://frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=117920

Reaper:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/learn%20to%20paint%20k...

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-LtP-Kit-Techniques/dp/B01H...

Last year's Reaper goodies:
http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2015/10/reaper-miniatures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not get mistaken. The monochomatic painted zombies had to be a lot of work. Look carefully at the number of shades. I suppose as an inexperienced painter you would have better results with normal colours.

However, if you want to give it a try, buy a decent brushes (small, tiny a even more tiny). View couple of videos from Sorastro. He has great tutorials for beginners for painting Imperial assault. The approach is universal. If you follow 1/8 of his advices, you will be surprised what you can achieve.

Beware of sprays though. I tried base coating with a spray and the result are three clogged stormtroopers. I am walking around them not sure what to do. Base coating with a brush is a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.