4 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Smash Up factions website rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luther Tan
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I have made a Smash Up factions website for a school project which will eventually cover the various factions, strategies, tips and combos (still a work in progress). I would like to transition this website from school project into fully functioning website which supports the continuous growth of this amazing game.

Please let me know what you guys think and share the website.

http://smashupfaction.com/

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Sallee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
arcbeetle wrote:
Hey guys, I have made a Smash Up factions website for a school project which will eventually cover the various factions, strategies, tips and combos (still a work in progress). I would like to transition this website from school project into fully functioning website which supports the continuous growth of this amazing game.

Please let me know what you guys think and share the website.

http://smashupfaction.com/

Thanks guys.

Looking good! You are doing a very good job so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Sallee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Something to make sure of is that you have your factions' names completely correct. For instance, instead of Mythic Greeks, you put Greek Gods. Just something to be aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaii Jack
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I think the initial visual layout is very good. I believe if you want your fully developed site to stand out you need to change your focus. The flavor here is very much geek/fan-boy and there is already a lot on the internet regarding SmashUp with that flavor. I suspect an empty niche could be filled if you went more for stats and experience/science in your faction discussions than opinions and eyeball estimates. I'll give a specific example with your Mythic Greeks discussion:

"Psssst, did you know that Wizards and Greek Gods work really well? The Wizards which have many action (think spell cards) cards complements the minions from the Greek Gods faction whereby they gain a significant attack boost from the usage of action cards."

This simply isn't true and it looks like the kind of opinion that people generate when they look at the cards in a faction rather than play with them. Before you commit to your judgements on a faction you should play it at least 30 times (seriously) to balance out the statistical variations that come from shuffling, base deck shuffling, faction combos, and opponents you face.
Wizards have as many Action cards as most every other faction, ten. If you want to compare the effect of the number of Action cards paired with Mythic Greeks then run tests with Princesses (14 Actions), Wizards etc (10), and Robots (2 Actions). What I think you really meant to emphasize was how Wizards are good at drawing and playing extra Actions. This seems like a real benefit when you read all that Action oriented text on Mythic Greek minions but in reality there are only two cards that gain advantage from playing extra Actions on a turn, and for one of these the reward only lasts until end of turn.

I would write a thumbnail sketch of Mythic Greeks more like this:
"Many Greek minions are aided by playing Action cards but Greeks only have 2 cards that benefit from playing repeat Actions on a turn, and one of those only benefits till the end of turn. Greeks power up slowly over time with +1 counters from Actions so Greeks benefit most from a spread-it-out, play-it-slow strategy so more Spartans will be in play to benefit from Actions. There is some quick-strike capability as Odysseus plus Favor of Zeus can produce the equivalent of +11 power and more on a single turn."

So I am suggesting that playing Greeks with a slow-it-down faction like Dragons is more beneficial than your advice which seems to be play it as a fast attack faction. I play-tested this idea. I picked Robots - Mythic Horses for an opponent since they are one of the most explosive attack combos I have seen and played Wizards - Mythic Greeks in attack mode as you seem to be advocating. The Greeks were easily crushed. Next I tried Greeks with Ninjas and a more patient strategy and the Greeks eked out a win. One test doesn't prove it but it does suggest to me that your advice did not come from actual play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.