Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Physical Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Zeppenfeld
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hello comrades,

I have been thinking about picking this up for a while. My girlfriend and I are looking to spend the better part of the day in a pub playing games tomorrow. How much physical space would this take up for two people? Would that space double if we each controlled 2 characters instead of 1?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need about 24 inches by 24 inches for the locations and about 6 by 8 for each character. Roughly. In my experience. Two characters will mean you will probably fan out your "hands" so you can see them all. Which takes more space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The box itself will take up space, and the rulebook is big and floppy.

I'd recommend the app. The free version has two characters, and you can pass the tablet back and forth. If you know how to play the game and can leave the dead tree rulebook home (it's also easier to search the online rulebook than flip through the dead tree pages), you can also prepare the setup ahead of time, so you only bring one or two scenarios to the pub. Get some not-so-snug card sleeves and use them to store the locations, character cards and decks, etc. (you can shove several cards into some cards sleeves). Instead of a discard pile, discard the card face-up in the draw deck but be careful when shuffling. The location decks won't have discards, so you can put its deck under the location card. Put the location deck in front of the player or use pawns, rather than the character cards. Etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you will need to (easily) workaround putting cards and taking cards out of the box (which you left at home) as you play. If you defeat a monster or fail to acquire something, you will banish it (put the card into the box). When you close a location, you will put the cards back into the box. You can just dump 'em all in a pile and put them into the box later. Or you'll encounter a random monster, so will need to get the monsters from the box and shuffle. You can find a workaround, like encounter a monster that you already banished.

Also, don't throw the dice around the table like your grandma when she plays Monopoly and knocks over your houses. These pubs are dark and you don't want to lose your dice, although the PACG dice are bland and boring and you should get some cool swirly glow in the dark dice for your SO because you're awesome like that, at least three matching sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
craftycantaloupe wrote:
My girlfriend and I are looking to spend the better part of the day in a pub playing games tomorrow. How much physical space would this take up for two people? Would that space double if we each controlled 2 characters instead of 1?

My wife and I play with 1 character each. Our normal play space is 30"x30", and it is neither spacious nor super-crowded.

You can simulate it yourself with a normal deck of cards. The rulebook is available online, or you can watch a runthrough video (like Rahdo's). Just put cards where the scenario, location cards, location decks, blessings deck, blessings discard, and player draw and discard piles go. Add some dice, and you'll see how it fits.

You will need occasional access to the box while you play, as Sam and Max pointed out. Plus you'll need to haul that large and heavy beast to and from the pub. The 30x30 play space above is not counting the extra space required by the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Gryphon
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use a couple of these for the locations
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/tabletop-card-holder-4-tray-st...
ends up taking up less space on the table and easier to pick up and move if something happens.

Get a two of them, using 6 slots for the locations and 2 of them for the blessing deck and discard.

Something like this --

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
Actually you can save a bit of space by not taking the box with you.

Before going, just pull 5-10 random monsters from the box, and maybe 5 or so randomly selected other card types, (Maybe more in the case of blessings in case you lose to the villian) etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.