Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: playing a Reaction card after a Festival card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Miller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
We had a situation come up last night. The Festival card "Bacchanalia" was played. For this primus, only slaves can be committed. Another player wanted to play their "Expeto Populi" reaction card. This is played at the start of the Arena phase. It requires the host to invite one of your gladiators with a boast token.

We decided that since only one Festival card can be played that we wouldn't allow any reactions to be played on a Festival. It was our first game using the Festival cards.

Now I'm thinking we should have allowed the Reaction card to be played even though it really seemed to mess with the intent of the Festival card.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm going with a literal interpretation.

Bacchanalia allows only slaves.
Expeto Populi requires the Host to invite a Gladiator with a Boast.
Since a Gladiator cannot attend a Bacchanalia, they cannot accept, ergo the Player loses 1 Influence.

So all the cards are allowed to be played, and all are fulfilled. However, this is probably not the outcome the player of the Expeto Populi was hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second your interpretation Mark, but if we wanna talk about literal interpretation the Expeto Populi guy could have said his gladiator was a slave too. :-)

In the game mechanics however gladiators and slaves have different purposes and can't be assimilated to their historical references. No matter what then, logics prevails, as in the case of Primus + Teokoles mentioned in the other thread.

I think the object of the Expeto card is to force a boasted gladiator into a fight he can more easily lose than win. If you let him fight against slaves it sorta ruins everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I guess they are all slaves, and the characters called Slaves should be called Servants.

But under game definitions, the logic holds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.