Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Song
United States
Glenside
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to hear from Radho, SUSD, Dice Tower (maybe Sam's thoughts), Game Boy Geek, Board Game Brawl, Grey Elephant. JUST SOMEONE ON YOUTUBE!

I already watched the Chief's and Marco's video. But I just need more perspective. I am just not sure if this game is one where I should put high on my buy list or hold off.

BTW I still welcome your opinions on the game, but my main complaint is for more youtube reviews on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
I would like to hear from Radho, SUSD, Dice Tower (maybe Sam's thoughts), Game Boy Geek, Board Game Brawl, Grey Elephant. JUST SOMEONE ON YOUTUBE!

I already watched the Chief's and Marco's video. But I just need more perspective. I am just not sure if this game is one where I should put high on my buy list or hold off.

BTW I still welcome your opinions on the game, but my main complaint is for more youtube reviews on this game.

I know for at least some of the bigger ones you have to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps because it's a re-do (update) of an older game? And perhaps because it's not a typical Euro? ...more of a war-game? Further, in Richard's case, he prefers games that work well for two and MN:E is rated 3-5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Song
United States
Glenside
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, but has still played games that still says on the box "player count 2-?" even if it isn't recommmended.

I know Radho doesn't like conflict games, but I thought he would like this one and still review it because you could avoid conflict.

From what Radho says over and over, he doesn't take any money from these companies and does the reviews for free. However, he has said that if he doesn't like a game, he will notify the company and tell them what he liked and disliked and ask if it is still okay to post the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wondered about this too. I'd love to hear what SUSD thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Why not email these reviewers, and turn your "complaint" into a "suggestion?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Song
United States
Glenside
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
How do I do that? I would love to send this suggestion to the reviewers.

One thing that does let me down is that they get TONS of suggestions all the time and we won't be able to see a review for awhile. For instance, Tom Vasel (Dice Tower) finally did a review for Stronghold 2nd edition when it has been out for awhile now, even after it was nominated by them for the Dice Tower Awards 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
Yeah, but has still played games that still says on the box "player count 2-?" even if it isn't recommmended.

Mare Nostrum has a special scenario for two players in the Atlas expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco called it a Masterpiece. Not sure what else you need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Song
United States
Glenside
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
dunno about you, but I like to hear a lot of different options and then decide to buy a game.

So far I learned that this is more ameritrash-y than scythe, which is more euro-y. But even that doesn't tell me enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why just stick with video reviews? There are plenty of posted written reviews here on the discussion board. I find the more intelligent ones are just as good as some of the video ones--any idiot can aim a camera--and sometimes better. You can even select threads here for "Reviews" and see them all listed conveniently together.

goo For example, here's mine:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1600460/review-mare-nos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently 660 ratings giving it a score of 7.9.

What do you want to know? I have the game, I've played it a few times.

Do you have any friends who have it? Do you want to try before you buy?

For my quick review, I don't like the labels Ameritrash or Euro too much as they are becoming less relevant as it once was.

Gameplay is very slick, the rules don't get in the way of the strategy. Luck comes in what Hero/Wonder is drawn if you are playing with unrevealed H/W's. The dice in combat have a little luck although you can generally predict who will win a fight before the roll happens. Nothing is 100%, but you can dump enough troops in as attacker to pretty much guarantee victory. With the different victory conditions, you can adapt on the fly as opportunities come up. The part that is tricky is that sometimes you get a kingmaker who determines who gets to build first and the person who builds first can win the game. There are counters to this, but if you don't have that you can be at the mercy of other players.

For my group, it has been a big hit. Everyone likes the slick rules, but with many options for play. There isn't always a single optimal path to victory and negotiations play a major part of the game as you want to get allies to bash the leader without being perceived as the leader yourself and getting bashed. It's tricky to pull off when everyone is watching what each other is doing. You can't stop everyone, and you want to get yourself in a position to win while preventing others from doing so.
War can be effective to win, and the tactics aren't too complicated. Just as playing turtle and not drawing too much attention to yourself can be a valid plan. A critical point in winning often comes down to trading well so you have to perfect set of resources for building the things you need to win. Countering other during trade can be hard to pull off as you want to get yourself the resources you need as well.

Timing is also important in this game, when to trade a certain resource, when to attack, when to build a particular Hero/Wonder, when to point out what another player is doing. Where to attack or defend, how to spend your limited resources determines what actions you can do later, it all ties together to make an easy to learn but hard to master economic wargame. The balance of resource placement and map design are quite good and each Civ has different strengths and weaknesses that they must guard against and take advantage of.

My rating at this point is a 9/10. I am still learning a lot of the nuances of the game and after each one I am left thinking about different things I could have done to improve and how best to out maneuver my opponents. It's very fun and it plays quickly enough that we can finish in under 2 hours for 5 players. That's with a couple AP prone players in the game too. So, we can get 2 full games in an evening session.

I hope that helps you decide if you want it or not and I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about it.

Also, I haven't even dug into the expansion options so I think there is a plenty or replay here for your gaming $$$.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
The part that is tricky is that sometimes you get a kingmaker who determines who gets to build first and the person who builds first can win the game.

At least the german rules have a tiebreaker in this case: If someone is not the cultural leader and has to decide who builds first, pyramids win over 5th hero/wonder. If two other players win by both building the pyramids or both win by building the 5th hero/wonder, they both win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Hector131 wrote:
The part that is tricky is that sometimes you get a kingmaker who determines who gets to build first and the person who builds first can win the game.

At least the german rules have a tiebreaker in this case: If someone is not the cultural leader and has to decide who builds first, pyramids win over 5th hero/wonder. If two other players win by both building the pyramids or both win by building the 5th hero/wonder, they both win.

Same tiebreaker in the spanish rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iraklis Stratigis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like what you see in Chief's and Marco's videos...put this game high on your buy list. This game is awesome!!!
I don't care if "Sit down and run through a brawl of Game boy with a grey elephant in a dice tower" will not review this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Perhaps because it's a re-do (update) of an older game? And perhaps because it's not a typical Euro? ...more of a war-game? Further, in Richard's case, he prefers games that work well for two and MN:E is rated 3-5?

It's definitely not a war game. Games offering a similar feel that come to mind (after one play) are Kemet and Scythe. Scythe is heavier (and has a bigger footprint), Kemet is more of a race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question does remain, however, why exactly many major reviewers have not looked at this.

I suspect it's as simple as they weren't sent a free copy.

Which suggests that Academy Games did not see the need for a marketing push on this game... or that they were so caught up in Kickstarter fulfillment issues that they didn't have the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
The question does remain, however, why exactly many major reviewers have not looked at this.

I suspect it's as simple as they weren't sent a free copy.

Which suggests that Academy Games did not see the need for a marketing push on this game... or that they were so caught up in Kickstarter fulfillment issues that they didn't have the time.

It might be a question of game preferences and players. MN:E can be a lengthy game, so getting a few plays in might take time. Plus if the game is not that hot on reviewers list or there are not enough players interested to play with them a particular game then it takes longer.

A good example is Dice Tower review of Exodus: Edge of Extinction. Game is on Tom's top 100 games and yet it took them I belive over 6 months to review it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the "big name" reviewers haven't done a review because Academy Games didn't spend the money to buy a review from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
jimmysong wrote:

Often cited, but quite hard to prove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CalicoDave wrote:
It seems to me that the "big name" reviewers haven't done a review because Academy Games didn't spend the money to buy a review from them.

That's a rather substanceless assertion to throw about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my groups favorite games, once you can get past some of the rule issues.

I have wondered the same thing, why it hasn't had any reviews from the major players.

I have seen it as one of the background games on a Man vs Meeple review, but I don't remember what one it was on. Hopefully that means they will be doing a review of it at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jimmysong wrote:

No. Not at all. My friend designed a game. He reached out to inquire about reviews for a KS campaign. He was responded with prices.

I don't understand what's so hard to prove about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Song
United States
Glenside
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
igknight wrote:
One of my groups favorite games, once you can get past some of the rule issues.

I have wondered the same thing, why it hasn't had any reviews from the major players.

I have seen it as one of the background games on a Man vs Meeple review, but I don't remember what one it was on. Hopefully that means they will be doing a review of it at some point.

I finally found a major reviewer, not youtube, but this will do the job:

http://www.thesecretcabal.com/PodcastEpisodes/TabId/55/PostI...

Secret Cabal podcast that talks about the game.
TL;DL(isten) It's a great game, but one that rewards with repeat play, not play twice in a year.

After listening to them, I would love to play, but unfortunately my game group is mostly with my fiance and she is more of a light gamer.

But seriously, I wish more people still reviewed this from the major players. Kinda discouraged that people ask for money. Hopefully not Radho since he openly said he never asks for money. He's pretty much every Kickstarter go-to reviewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jimmysong wrote:

No. Not at all. My friend designed a game. He reached out to inquire about reviews for a KS campaign. He was responded with prices.

I don't understand what's so hard to prove about that.

Those prices are for Previews, not Reviews.
There is a difference. Previews are essentially preproduction advertising, while reviews are generally done with a final production copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.