Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and love AQ and AQ:BtG and I pledged for damn near everything in the Arcadia Quest: Inferno campaign before I went all in on Masmorra. AQ is one of my favorite games to play with my son and we were both super excited for the Inferno campaign and spent a TON on it. Then Masmorra came along...

The more I think about it, I think Masmorra will completely fire AQ. I've had more than one offer to purchase my entire Inferno pledge and I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger. That much money can get us 5-7 really good games and I really do think Masmorra will keep AQ collecting dust. It scratches the same minis-based fantasy dungeon crawl itch and sets up in a fraction of the time. Actualy, setup time is THE thing that keeps AQ off the table.

What do you all think? Did you get both? Do you think you'll play both? Do you think one will "fire" the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Replacing Arcadia Quest?
MAJBrown22 wrote:
What do you all think? Did you get both? Do you think you'll play both? Do you think one will "fire" the other?

I also have everything for AQ and pledge all in on Inferno. I also pledged a lot for Masmorra.

I think I will play both and they'll both have a place in rotation.

But only time will tell. Until I play Masmorra, I won't know for sure. Until then I won't be selling off anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I.. Don't see how they're similar outside the broadest strokes. Cute minis, rpg elements, beating up monsters while not cooperating.

That really seems like it. If you only need one game that matches up with those, maybe Masmorra will "fire" AQ, but this isn't a reskin or even the same genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played AQ and BtG with my son and after a while, the campaign got stale. We still enjoy playing with AQ but we sort of generate our own map. AQ:I, I think, does not offer many differences with AQ and BtG. Masmorra, on the other hand, offers the random dungeon and exploration experience, which we seek at this moment. After careful thinking, I decided to ask for refund for my AQ:I pledge to CMON and stay with Masmorra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
But only time will tell. Until I play Masmorra, I won't know for sure. Until then I won't be selling off anything!

Yes, time will tell for sure. The thing is though, I could buy every one of my 10 most wanted games for what I spent on Inferno, and that's awful tempting...

Paul G wrote:
I.. Don't see how they're similar outside the broadest strokes. Cute minis, rpg elements, beating up monsters while not cooperating.

That really seems like it. If you only need one game that matches up with those, maybe Masmorra will "fire" AQ, but this isn't a reskin or even the same genre.

Really? They have identical mechanisms, categories and family, take place in the same universe, share the same sculptor and have identical characters, and you don't find them similar? Even the font on the boxes are the same! "Cute minis, rpg elements, beating up monsters while not cooperating" describes both games to a T. I never said one was a re-skin of the other, I just think that they're similar enough that owning just one of them will scratch my itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rofl not even close. One is like a coloring book while the other is the LOTR trilogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I could buy every one of my 10 most wanted games for what I spent on Inferno

Unless money and storage are no object, I believe you have your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Rofl not even close. One is like a coloring book while the other is the LOTR trilogy.

I agree, and if you ignore the art and focus on the games, they really don't compare at all.

Actually, up until it was released at gencon, I thought that Massmora would get more of my table time than AQ.
So far, I'm pretty discouraged by the "word on the street" and opinion of the reviewers.
The general consensus appears to be "meh, it's ok, hopefully it will get better after we play it a few times".

If you like AQ as much as you say you do, I definitely would wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sent a copy of Masmorra, I am waiting for my pledge for it, but have played the base game. I own AQ and BtG but no KS exclusives from the 1st campaign, though I am waiting on Inferno like everyone as well.

I think thy compliment each other more than compete. I think I like owning both because of taste.

- Do you like controlling 1 or many? The 1 in Masmorra feels more personal for sure given the leveling and skills, but the many in AQ makes it feel far more tactical to me given positioning etc.

- Do you like direct or indirect conflict? Masmorra has tons of indirect conflict with take that cards and for some groups that is a killer because there is no direct way to payback a move. AQ has that back and forth "you killed my guy, now I kill ALL of your guys".

- Do you like choosing your actions or random assortments of dice deciding them? Honestly, there is tons of mitigation in Masmorra but there will still be turns you are left with 1 Magic or Elixir or Shield to bank for a Coin you don't really need or want. In AQ I decide who does what and when. Again, more strategic.

I will keep both games, and I may play more Masmorra, but AQ is definitely a deeper game and more involved so keeping both should not be that uncommon. That being said, aside from sharing a universe and some characters, I will say, I love both, but they feel sooo different. For anyone saying AQ and SDE shouldn't be compared, I disagreed with that statement.

The idea of these two being compared though, having and playing both is crazy. SDE has more in common with AQ than Masmorra does and many own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjpeach2004 wrote:
For anyone saying AQ and SDE shouldn't be compared, I disagreed with that statement. The idea of these two being compared though having and playing both is crazy.

Typo???

Confusing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
cjpeach2004 wrote:
For anyone saying AQ and SDE shouldn't be compared, I disagreed with that statement. The idea of these two being compared though having and playing both is crazy.

Typo???

Confusing...

Yes and no? I guess I am not so good with many words I listened to AQ and SDE be compared from start of production on AQ to this day and those two have FAR more in common than Masmorra and AQ do. I dislike comparisons between games that on the surface may LOOK like they have a ton in common, but upon play, I am sure you should/would feel differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjpeach2004 wrote:

I listened to AQ and SDE be compared from start of production on AQ to this day and those two have FAR more in common than Masmorra and AQ do.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

I'm almost positive all three have a place in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
cjpeach2004 wrote:

I listened to AQ and SDE be compared from start of production on AQ to this day and those two have FAR more in common than Masmorra and AQ do.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

I'm almost positive all three have a place in my collection.

This is kind of my thoughts as well. There is something so important to each that is different, giving them an entirely different feel really. AQ and SDE DO have tons in common, and many similarities but they feel VERY different. I would say this for Masmorra even moreso.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely different enough games to both get a place. The fact that some of the characters can be interchanged between the two is awesome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, they are different enough to co-exist. I have personally replaced AQ with Ninja All-Stars and have never looked back. I just think it does the arena combat I enjoyed about AQ much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Masmorra being the lighter gateway game to test if someone wants to play something deeper like AQ. HOWEVER, I get the whole "I could buy 10 games for how much I spent on AQ:I" issue. I doubt heavily the KS exclusive heroes will add that much to the game. Interesting, yes, new, yes, maybe thematically interesting, but very little gameplay is affected.

I'm interested to see the new cards in AQ:I, the mechanics of Pets and Dragons, and any other mechanical things that could be interesting. I'm curious about the Fall of Arcadia expansion too. No real news about what that will be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieX3 wrote:
As others have said, they are different enough to co-exist. I have personally replaced AQ with Ninja All-Stars and have never looked back. I just think it does the arena combat I enjoyed about AQ much better.

Really? I haven't been able to get it to table. Working through the rulebook and getting a sense of the clans has proven too much for anyone other than a fellow former Warhammer Fantasy player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
CharlieX3 wrote:

Really? I haven't been able to get it to table. Working through the rulebook and getting a sense of the clans has proven too much for anyone other than a fellow former Warhammer Fantasy player.

Agreed. I dumped that hot mess sooooo fast. yet AQ remains a favorite of anyone of the 20+ people I have played with, Ninja AllStars was dumped on by anyone I showed the game, moreso by those who played it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
I see Masmorra being the lighter gateway game to test if someone wants to play something deeper like AQ. HOWEVER, I get the whole "I could buy 10 games for how much I spent on AQ:I" issue. I doubt heavily the KS exclusive heroes will add that much to the game. Interesting, yes, new, yes, maybe thematically interesting, but very little gameplay is affected.

I'm interested to see the new cards in AQ:I, the mechanics of Pets and Dragons, and any other mechanical things that could be interesting. I'm curious about the Fall of Arcadia expansion too. No real news about what that will be like.

Funny enough, I have found AQ to be far easier to teach, though that could be because of the time I have spent with it? But the rules flow very well with AQ and maybe a little less with Masmorra. Both are still amazing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I have and love AQ and AQ:BtG and I pledged for damn near everything in the Arcadia Quest: Inferno campaign before I went all in on Masmorra. AQ is one of my favorite games to play with my son and we were both super excited for the Inferno campaign and spent a TON on it. Then Masmorra came along...

The more I think about it, I think Masmorra will completely fire AQ. I've had more than one offer to purchase my entire Inferno pledge and I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger. That much money can get us 5-7 really good games and I really do think Masmorra will keep AQ collecting dust. It scratches the same minis-based fantasy dungeon crawl itch and sets up in a fraction of the time. Actualy, setup time is THE thing that keeps AQ off the table.

Its not too late to email support@CMON.com and unlock your Inferno pledge and add another base pledge so you can still sell one and keep the other. As for Masmorra I've played it about 10 times. With the right group of people its a fun game in Standard mode. lots of gotcha moments but player turns can drag along as people try to figure the best combination of actions to use with there dice. As for Alliance mode I play mostly with the kids and even with making it harder it always seems too easy. The cards are just too powerful and come very frequently. We try to make it harder by putting the stairs to each level on the bottom of each pile instead of mixed in randomly in the bottom half of the floor tiles. Even doing this we have never even come close to losing a game and this is just with 3 players alliance mode.

I can tell you they are very different games. Not to say Masmorra is bad its just not great like Arcadia Quest. If you need a quick game with easy setup then grab Masmorra. If you need a night of pure fun and enjoyment then you just can't beat two or three games in a row of Arcadia quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Really? They have identical mechanisms, categories and family, take place in the same universe, share the same sculptor and have identical characters, and you don't find them similar? Even the font on the boxes are the same! "Cute minis, rpg elements, beating up monsters while not cooperating" describes both games to a T. I never said one was a re-skin of the other, I just think that they're similar enough that owning just one of them will scratch my itch.

The only similarity between the two is the chibi universe they share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

The only similarity between the two is the chibi universe they share.

And dice! I think you roll a lot of dice in both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Even the dice work totally differently! One is to resolve things and see what's happened, the other lets you make decision. Roll for the Galaxy and Risk both have dice, but are super different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played three games of Masmorra since picking it up Christmas Eve (lucky me!), it's really nothing like Arcadia Quest.

I love Arcadia Quest but Masmorra wI'll definitely see more table time. Setup time is almost non-existent, I don't need a regular group, and a 2P game takes 20-40 mins. Great fun all round.

(AQ is the better game IMHO, but it just doesn't get out much)

Edit: uhm for the necro poster below - AC was supposed to be AQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmb
Geoff wrote:
Having played three games of Masmorra since picking it up Christmas Eve (lucky me!), it's really nothing like Arcadia Quest.

I love Arcadia Quest but Masmorra wI'll definitely see more table time. Setup time is almost non-existent, I don't need a regular group, and a 2P game takes 20-40 mins. Great fun all round.

(AC is the better game IMHO, but it just doesn't get out much)

AC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.