6 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: More questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the last game, we re-read the rules and FAQ. This time, the game was much faster and more enjoyable. We still had a few questions.

1) Pillaging Hoard - "Destroy all action spaces adjacent to monsters." The monster was adjacent to an explorer token marking a dropped item. Does this count as an action space? The explorers can spend stamina to interact with this location, but it is not in the action space list.

2) Explorer "A" killed the Sarall. The Sarall's death action killed a Deep One. Does Explorer "A" get the essence for the Deep One. We played yes; there seem to be other card effects that kill monsters where the active explorer gets the essence, even though they are not actively involved in attacking the monster.

3) Force Alternator (and other cards): 3 stamina/Range 3 - Increase armor and will... Can you use this on the explorer that owns the item? (Use it on yourself, at range 0)?

4) I don't understand this at all (from the tips): "Splitting explorers into 2 groups is a viable and often-recommended strategy. The second group loses a round for movement, but explores and utilizes another map tile."
4.1 - What does "splitting" mean? Explorers cannot be in the same square and are often (almost always) not adjacent. What counts as splitting?
4.2 "The second group": So what is a group?
4.3 "loses a round for movement": Can't see anything in the rules that makes you lose a round of movement. If I did, that would give me a clue what the tip is talking about.
We often have explorers on two map tiles, but no-one lost any movement to make this happen. Separated over different map tiles seems to be as split as you can be, but I did not see the "loses a round for movement" thing.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm glad the game went smoother and more enjoyable, so let's get cracking on those questions shall we?

Quote:
1) Pillaging Hoard - "Destroy all action spaces adjacent to monsters." The monster was adjacent to an explorer token marking a dropped item. Does this count as an action space? The explorers can spend stamina to interact with this location, but it is not in the action space list.

Explorer markers doesn't count as an action space.

Quote:
2) Explorer "A" killed the Sarall. The Sarall's death action killed a Deep One. Does Explorer "A" get the essence for the Deep One. We played yes; there seem to be other card effects that kill monsters where the active explorer gets the essence, even though they are not actively involved in attacking the monster.

Yes explorer "A" gets the essence for any monster destroyed on its turn.
Manual Page 18 / Death: "If the monster was destroyed during an explorer’s turn, restore 1 essence to that explorer."
Also an interesting thing to keep in mind:
Manual Page 14 / Essence: "After your attack roll, or any other attack roll on your turn, you can lose essence to increase that roll (increase attack roll by 1 per 1 essence lost)."
You could in theory spend essence to increase Sarall's exploding attack in order to kill some monsters (traps and barrels anybody?).

Quote:
3) Force Alternator (and other cards): 3 stamina/Range 3 - Increase armor and will... Can you use this on the explorer that owns the item? (Use it on yourself, at range 0)?

Yes indeed.

Quote:
4) I don't understand this at all (from the tips): "Splitting explorers into 2 groups is a viable and often-recommended strategy. The second group loses a round for movement, but explores and utilizes another map tile."
4.1 - What does "splitting" mean? Explorers cannot be in the same square and are often (almost always) not adjacent. What counts as splitting?
4.2 "The second group": So what is a group?
4.3 "loses a round for movement": Can't see anything in the rules that makes you lose a round of movement. If I did, that would give me a clue what the tip is talking about.
We often have explorers on two map tiles, but no-one lost any movement to make this happen. Separated over different map tiles seems to be as split as you can be, but I did not see the "loses a round for movement" thing.

Ah yes, this tip can be confusing, unfortunately the explanation is too simple and doesn't involve any change of game mechanics.
Let me explain.

Let's say there are 4 lost poor souls that entered the Machina Arcana (explorers A, B, C, D).
You position A and B closer to the edge of current map tile, and C, D closer to the first spaces of interest of the current map tile.
A, and B play first and for their movement they reach the edge of map tile while C and D on their turn already start to scavenge around.
So you are "splitting" your explorers in groups by actively using more than one map tile. That group(s) on new map tiles will "lose the round on movement", but some strategies work nicely with this approach. The choice is yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.

I still do not understand the "lose the round of movement" deal. We have explorers on different map tiles all the time, without realizing this was your tip/trick. I hope we are doing it right, as no one has lost of round of movement. In your example, I cannot see either the A+B or the C+D team loses any movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There's a good chance that C and D could do some stuff (activate some action spaces) during their first round, while A and B will just move towards the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Are you just saying that in order to split up and move on top two different tiles, you may spend a lot of time just moving some of the explorers, instead of doing something more interesting?

Thanks for all the answers. It makes us much more confident playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Exactly that. Apologize if it was not clear from the beginning, will revise that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.