Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With four already arrived and an expected four more to show up later we went ahead and started. Tim brought his copy of An Den Ufern Des Nils, or By the Banks of the Nile, and we set it up. The game is about planting, growing and harvesting crops along the Nile river while battling floods from one side (the river side, natch) and the desert on the other.

I started the game out strong by virtue of being the first to have a turn. I quickly harvested some of my crops and sold them to market. I kept up the strong production and by the time the market was ready to sell I gained a lot of points. This gave me the lead and also the not-so-coveted leader tag.

The second time the market sold saw my lead shortened by Jeff and Tim. Dave had still to make any points but he was set up for some major points fairly soon. At this point the river was ebbing and more arable land was becoming available. We were also experiencing some setbacks from the encroaching desert and an unfortunate spoilage of Dave’s crops already in the market. Dave was decimated by this turn of events. I had been aiming to bring the desert onto either Jeff or Tim but the events forced damage to Dave. I thought he was for sure out of the game.

As the game progressed we played leapfrog between the three of us while Dave whittled away at his deficit. Towards the end Dave actually managed to catch the rest of us and it was every man for himself.

It was becoming evident that we were on the last few rounds. Dave had an opportunity to gain some points but if he didn’t play it right the game would end and Tim would be the victor. He had to remove the seeds he had on the boat to prevent the obelisk from advancing and forcing the end of the game. It was also up to me to remove the seeds I had on the boat, which I did, to prevent Tim’s victory.

It looked like we had delayed the end of the game only to cede victory to Jeff instead of Tim. Jeff had the crops grown already that could clinch the victory. On Tim’s turn he caused a desert to overcome one of Jeff’s grown crops preventing him from creating a market sell with a majority of crops. It was a very bad tile draw for Jeff.

On Jeff’s next turn he drew a tile that caused a bid for a three free actions. I used every crop in my hand to win the auction, but also sealing my fate if my plan didn’t come to fruition. With the free turn I was able to harvest some crops and grow some other ones. This allowed me to harvest some more crops on my actual turn and sell the crops at market with me having a majority. This gave me the victory.

I felt that I played well this game and that allowed me to take advantage of Jeff’s misfortune. Actually everyone played well as evidenced by two other players almost winning the game before I could. Dave was storming back and if the game had continued it would have been him with the next opportunity to win. I enjoyed the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.