Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than a bit of play with Dominion, this is my first deckbuilder as I'm more of a wargamer.

IS deckthinning simply using an action to place cards back into the Empire Deck? Other than your capital, is there any restriction on what cards you put there?

Any tips on deck thinning techniques and strategy appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only return a card to the empire deck with one of your two actions. You cannot do it with both.

A bit of thinning helps, but from experience you do not want to over-thin, especially as Carthage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the cards that you want to send to the empire deck have a cart on them while you hold on to the ship + colonist icons. But if you thin too much, you have no means of moving to attack or settle a space that you successfully raided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've put a location back in your empire deck you need to resettle it in order to get it back in your discard pile, right? Or because the village or city is on it already can you just use an action to retrieve it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can spend an action to redraft it, but it goes into your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I'm glad I asked. Is that spelled out in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSleep wrote:
Wow! I'm glad I asked. Is that spelled out in the rules?

Yes, in 5.4.1.

"The player may draft controlled Location cards that were sent to the Empire Deck, even if out of supply."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Deck thinning DISCARDING
Have played a handful of f2f games. Both sides have done this once they take the lead in "VP" and have some silver, will discard their entire hand over and over. Paying a few silver. It seems to me maybe an increase in the cost per card discarded would slow this down some.

Just a random thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We seem to be playing this differently to most people. Rome thins VERY heavily to get the legions operating at maximum efficiency, Carthage thins because it gets ahead early so it wants as many early scoring rounds as possible before the roman legions go into overdrive. Obviously all terms are relative and any specific action is a decision but as a for instance Rome generally sticks Tynaris into its reserve as a form of thinning but ensuring that it can get it out fast to either prevent Carthaginian raiding or to attack Thermae.
Played about 8 games so far and thinning is a critical factor in all, although getting it wrong is a game loser - I erred by forgetting to retrieve Tyndaris (as Rome), Carthage pulled off a raid and settle against me and I had huge problems because I'd stuck Messana and Catana in the empire deck so to attempt a re-take required actions to draft them and hten to cycle them through......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.