Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amazing game! I've run Call of Cthulhu campaigns for years - starting Achtung! Cthulhu soon -, and this game is a great complement and highly thematic. Despite the large number of cards and tokens, was able to get up and running within an hour for my first solo playthrough with one character. Very good setup booklet, and mostly clear rules.

Some questions that arose during first gameplay, hope you can help!

Cultists have Reckoning effect, but some Elder Gods don't have any Reckoning effect listed on the cultist portion of the card. I take this means there is no Reckoning effect solved in that case?

What exactly does the card text "solve this rumor" mean? For example, Fractured Reality allows me to "solve this rumor" when I draw a Other World Encounter and able to close a gate. If I have one Success, do I just discard the card along with the rumor token?

The way I understand Artifact Pallid Mask feels hugely overpowered. It gives the player the ability to treat any space with monsters as if there are no monsters, so when I play solo I can just ignore the monsters entirely?

Playing solo with just one investigator seems very underpowered compared to playing with two. One and two investigators have the same number of monster and gate spawns. Although there are no more clues with two investigators, you get two sets of actions per round to combat monsters and close gates, with no penalties AFAICT vs playing with one investigator. Or am I missing something?

I reached zero on the track pretty quickly, and lost when Azathoth devoured the earth - and I'm sure the universe along with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
Cultists have Reckoning effect, but some Elder Gods don't have any Reckoning effect listed on the cultist portion of the card. I take this means there is no Reckoning effect solved in that case?

correct

Quote:
What exactly does the card text "solve this rumor" mean? For example, Fractured Reality allows me to "solve this rumor" when I draw a Other World Encounter and able to close a gate. If I have one Success, do I just discard the card along with the rumor token?

correct

Quote:
The way I understand Artifact Pallid Mask feels hugely overpowered. It gives the player the ability to treat any space with monsters as if there are no monsters, so when I play solo I can just ignore the monsters entirely?

Well, not their reckoning effects. And spaces count as having monsters during your actions, so you can't rest or gain assets on a space with monsters.

Quote:
Playing solo with just one investigator seems very underpowered compared to playing with two. One and two investigators have the same number of monster and gate spawns. Although there are no more clues with two investigators, you get two sets of actions per round to combat monsters and close gates, with no penalties AFAICT vs playing with one investigator. Or am I missing something?

No, playing with one investigator is extremely hard. The revised reference cards give you an extra clue when clues spawn with only one investigator. But it's still much harder with one than two.

Quote:
I reached zero on the track pretty quickly, and lost when Azathoth devoured the earth - and I'm sure the universe along with it

That's normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:

Correct.

Jaffeli wrote:

Solve this rumor basically means return the card to the box and stop worrying about any ongoing effects it has.

Jaffeli wrote:

You understand the card correctly. It's not really overpowered, for two reasons; 1) there are plenty of threats other than monsters, and 2) sometimes, you'll have to deal with a monster anyway (like a mystery monster or something required by a rumor or encounter). That said, artifacts can be very good.

Jaffeli wrote:

You're not wrong here either. Playing solo with 2 investigators is in most ways superior to solo with 1 investigator. If you feel like you can handle it, many people would recommend 4 investigators, as that is commonly seen as the sweet spot for difficulty in EH. I personally think two is a good balance of fun and challenge, and not very taxing in terms of upkeep.

Jaffeli wrote:

Welcome to the world of Eldritch Horror!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the helpful and clear answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.