Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Official Automa Tutorial? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sadly, I mostly play Scythe solo, something I knew when I pledged $100 for the collector's edition. I've read the Automa rules a few times, and I have tried playing the game multiple times, always questioning movement rules and needing to refer to the rulebook. For some reason I always get hung up on the phrase "other than the one selected in step 1." There's just something about the wording.

Anyway, I've watched a few playthoughs and have found one to be thorough, but so poorly dictated/produced it is unwatchable and others with many rules mistakes, leading me to seek answers on BGG. I'd love to see an official video created by the architect of Automa solo play. A guy can dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a fabulous thread here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1635185/automa-examples...

It's not exactly a tutorial - more of a quiz, using very well-designed examples to illustrate many of the common mistakes and misconceptions people have when they play solo. Each example includes a solution and explanation. By the time you've tested yourself on all of them and understand the correct answer, you will be ready to play with confidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A reply like yours is this reason I love this site. I'll check it out. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out this thread for a list of commonly made mistakes when playing the Automa.

Common Automa Mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory Adama wrote:
Sadly, I mostly play Scythe solo, something I knew when I pledged $100 for the collector's edition. I've read the Automa rules a few times, and I have tried playing the game multiple times, always questioning movement rules and needing to refer to the rulebook. For some reason I always get hung up on the phrase "other than the one selected in step 1." There's just something about the wording.

Anyway, I've watched a few playthoughs and have found one to be thorough, but so poorly dictated/produced it is unwatchable and others with many rules mistakes, leading me to seek answers on BGG. I'd love to see an official video created by the architect of Automa solo play. A guy can dream.

I'm the main architect for the Automa, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure that I would suck at making videos.

The two links provided by Dave and the Rev are awesome and if you have any doubts or questions about the rules, then post them and I'll do my best to clear them up. This can include posting photos of situations where you not sure what the Automa will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.