$20.00
$60.00
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I've been doing a lot of research on BGG's top 300 games trying to find some good euro games for my next purchase. I wanted to get some thoughts from everyone on some potential next games that might be a good fit for me. In particular a few games that I currently own and really enjoy are:

Terra Mystica
Things I like:
- I like the various factions and how different they feel (different starting resources, building costs, starting abilities and stronghold abilities)
- I like the engine you build during the game. As you build more buildings you get more income each turn.
- I like the cool abilities you can unlock by constructing buildings. For example the Strong ability, or being able to take a Favor Tile after getting a Temple.
Things I don't like as much:
- low player interaction, everyone mostly just does their own thing.
- players cant stop or slow down the runaway leader.

Voyages of Marco Polo
Things I like:
- The different starting factions and abilities
- The dice mechanic of taking actions
- player interaction is good as you can take a spot you know your opponent might want.
Things I dont like as much:
- Seems like finishing contracts is the dominant strategy for winning. Traveling costs too much and often times is too hard to get a good payout on.

Some games that I've been considering include:
- La Granja: Seems like you can create your own unique farm, multiple paths to victory, and good interaction (as players can team up against the runaway leader in the market)
- Mombasa: Seems pretty interesting with the market simulation and multiple victory paths. I'm curious how others have liked this?
- Trajan: Looks like it has a cool mancala mechanism and multiple paths to victory. Player interactions seems super low though and I feel there aren't really any cool powers you can acquire in the game but rather just do things to directly get victory points
- Grand Austria Hotel
- Manhattan Project: Energy Empire

I would love to hear anyones thoughts on the above games and/or any recommendation people might have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, just for edification, contracts seem better because they are a simpler strategy to grasp. Traveling requires more layers of resource conversion at times. But the board layout and certain characters can definitely dominate in the right situations with heavy travel. Keep playing and you'll see it.

Grand Austria Hotel has been my most played game this year. But it's best with two and can play three. It shouldn't be played with four at all. Too much downtime. Mombasa is better with more than two because of the area control. Not bad at two, but this is for comparisons sake depending on how you will play. Trajan, like many Felds works great at all counts and is a sweet sweet puzzle. La Granja is A very Feldian game by different designers. Best thing about it is multi use cards. If you like that gameplay mechanism, this should be a contender. I'm Luke warm on some of the game but dice drafting is fun in almost any game and this may be my favorite implementation of multi use cards. Haven't played Manhattan Project EE. But I own thoriginal and its considerably lighter than any of the others you've written about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you'll like Keyflower. You can gain cool powers but you have to bid on tiles to add to your village, plus you get to mooch off powers in village of your opponents. Fairly high player interaction, building, bidding, etc.

La Granja and Trajan are excellent games - in my top 10 of all time - but their a bit farther away from what you're looking for because of no/low player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Keyflower is a great choice. It very interactive, but it does not give me the "acquiring/starting with cool powers" vibe that much (most tiles can be used by all players, which is a large part of the interactivity, but there are some summer boat tiles that give a little personal ability to their owners). Nevertheless, you should definitely consider it.

La Granja is another great pick, and the helpers provide a nice "special power" vibe. The interaction is good, but not quite as intriguing as that in Keyflower. I highly recommend it!

Mombasa is spectacular, but I definitely do not get much of the cool powers sensation from it. It is there in the form of the company bonus abilities (and to a far lesser extent the deck building aspect) but not very strong. The interaction is good I would say.

Another option to consider is ZhanGuo. About 1/3 of the game consists of using cards to acquire bonus abilities, and the player boards themselves have a B-side that provides asymmetric starting abilities. The interaction is good as you must carefully play high or low cards based on the card play of your opponents in order to achieve the bonuses you have set up. There is also competition for majorities in a couple of different areas (unification markers to earn bonuses and governors to earn points). It is a bit heavier than La Granja or Keyflower, which might be a downside for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe
City of Iron (2nd ed.)
Carson City
The Golden Ages

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you don't mind a 3-player game, Three Kingdoms Redux meets all your criteria and then some.

It's slightly obscure, but on the same level as War of the Ring in game design quality. More people should check this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Trickerion: Legends of Illusion and suspect it would scratch the itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give a serious look at the soon-to-be-released reprint of The Great Zimbabwe. I think it ticks all of your boxes and does so very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like Eclipse might be the game for you...

Variable Starting Powers
Gain further Customization through the technology tiles
Lots of Player Interaction
Still has a euro feel to it

you might also like
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar but you need Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies to get the starting player powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

Came to recommend this - important to have the expansion to get special powers. The game is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.