Popular Tags: [View All]
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a complete Go beginner. I understand the rules, though the endgame has seemed like a mysterious and troublesome area to understand. And it seems like I'm not the only one that considers it a very vexing part. That's good. I have felt discouraged at the idea of the endgame.

And due to the posts I've read, I think I will definitely start off on a 9x9 board, and not feel bashful about "playing it out", to help really drive home certain aspects of life and death that I am hazy on.

So thanks a lot to many of you for giving an intimidated novice the "courage" necessary to pursue what seems like a very deep and beautiful game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Awesome,

You might even be able to find a local go club near you: http://usgo.org/cgi-bin/chapters.cgi?state=MN#listing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:
I am a complete Go beginner. I understand the rules, though the endgame has seemed like a mysterious and troublesome area to understand. And it seems like I'm not the only one that considers it a very vexing part. That's good. I have felt discouraged at the idea of the endgame.

And due to the posts I've read, I think I will definitely start off on a 9x9 board, and not feel bashful about "playing it out", to help really drive home certain aspects of life and death that I am hazy on.

So thanks a lot to many of you for giving an intimidated novice the "courage" necessary to pursue what seems like a very deep and beautiful game!

SIgn in to the KGS server (www.gokgs.com) and join the BoardGameGeek room under social and we'll help you with any questions you have too. It's a friendly bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:

Good call, although I will say that as SOON as you feel a little okay with the concepts, jump up to a larger board. The mechanics don't change, but the strategies do; and what works on a smaller board will mess you up on the full board.

But it's not like it stops being Go on a 9x9. 9x9 is a good time. Woo hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:

SIgn in to the KGS server (www.gokgs.com) and join the BoardGameGeek room under social and we'll help you with any questions you have too. It's a friendly bunch.

I'll have to do that sometime. I lately find myself not having a lot of PC time for home, but I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.