$5.00
$15.00
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(This post has been edited after finding a second error after the original post.)

The final location for year four has a note that "When this Location is revealed, all heroes discard an Ally" which is fine, but the Year Four manual makes no effort to point out this change.

The manual for Year Five, Step 1 states: When [Ministry of Magic] is revealed, all Heroes will have to discard an Ally immediately. There is no penalty if you do not have an Ally in hand. However, the Ministry of Magic card itself reads: When this Location is revealed, all Heroes discard a Spell.

So we have two problems here. First is that there appears to be rule change in year four not covered in it's the manual but a rule change that is covered in the year five manual. Second, the rule change discussed in the year five manual is not consistent with the wording on the relevant card. Which is correct for year five, do they discard an ally or spell?

My personal interpretation is that the paragraph in rule five is a misprint and was intended to be included in the year four manual. If this were the case, the manual and the card would agree with each other. Locations in year six and seven also have effects printed on them, so I think the idea was to illustrate to the players in year four that location cards are no longer "plain" and now have rules printed on them as well. Similarly, the effects somewhat make sense relative the book plots. (Losing an Ally in the Graveyard represents Cedric's death. Losing a spell in the Ministry represents the superior experience of the Death Eaters over the students. I don't quite get the thematic impact of the year six effect, but the year seven effect seems appropriate.)

Nonetheless, it would be nice if we could get official confirmation as to what the error here actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
Have you contacted USAopoly yet? They have a place on their website for rules clarifications.
http://usaopoly.com/game-care-customer-service-inquiry

I would go with the usual "golden rule" of gaming. If a card or ability contradicts the rules, the card takes precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.