Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Fleet» Forums » General

Subject: Which of the ending conditions is more common in your gaming group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panu Trivej
msg tools
In your gaming group, which of the ending conditions is more common? Between depleting the sea with all the crates and running out of the license to auction.

Just a personal preference, our groups would like the game to end with the absence of an available fish rather than a license. (It somehow feels more thematic.) I am thinking of reducing the number of crates. (Perhaps using only 20 per player.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't kept track of numbers, but I feel like running out of licenses happens a lot more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Licenses is more common. However, if you play with Pacific Oyster in the deck, running out of crates becomes much more likely as they catch two fish per round and hold more crates than other boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say we're close to 50-50. Licenses is much more common when you start playing, but after a while those hand cards become more precious and don't get frittered away on auctions.

It does depend strongly (and I never fail to be impressed HOW strongly) on how the license deck is stacked, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Most of the time we have run out of fish crates sooner. Once in a great while it's been licencses - but usually fish for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Macfarland

Arnold
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here: we run out of crates more often. My crew likes to get a lot of boats in the water fishing.

I should think that it depends on strategy: if you're competitor is getting more boats in the water and more fish, you would do well to accelerate the licences in order to end the game before they can take advantage of their boats. But I can't say I have enough wherewithal to execute this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fish seem more common in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say fish as well, especially if you use the Salty Captain which allows you to catch 2 fish instead of 1. I also can't remember the license off the top of my head, but one allows you to add boats as extra storage to existing boats which doubles their capacity. Love this game, but struggle getting it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group it's much more likely we run out of crates first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always been running out of crates in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group has only played about 4 times and each time the game has been triggered by running out of license cards. However, the last time we played we ran out of fish after the auction market had run dry, so that was a pretty balanced game

The only thing, we've only played base game Fleet without any of the expansions. Just looking at some of the cards, Salmon in particular, I could see how they could accelerate fish production quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomercyrider wrote:
My gaming group has only played about 4 times and each time the game has been triggered by running out of license cards. However, the last time we played we ran out of fish after the auction market had run dry, so that was a pretty balanced game

The only thing, we've only played base game Fleet without any of the expansions. Just looking at some of the cards, Salmon in particular, I could see how they could accelerate fish production quite a bit.

Good point - many of the "expansion" cards accelerate fish depletion - "Salty Captain", even "First Mate" (you are encouraged to fill your boats), "Crab Meeples" (again, encouraging you to fill boats quickly) "Salmon" and "Pacific Oyster" also eat up crates quickly - even certain trophies in play encourage players to fill boats (or at least get them in the water).

So yes, expansions will likely tilt end game in favor of running out of crates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.