Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

I was getting ready to order some Precision ASL dice from Battle School Dice when I ran across this:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE
Canada Post has changed its shipping services. All online orders now ship at YOUR OWN RISK without postal insurance (and without tracking). Insurance coverage and tracking are available. Please email for a shipping quote. Also, please ensure that your SHIPPING ADDRESS IS CURRENT when placing an order.

I know that the Canadian Post Office is a bit dubious (I have had issues in the past) but does this mean I have a 50/50 shot of getting the dice I have paid for? If I get the Tommy Dice (their intro dice) it is only $20 USD but I don't really want to piss $20 bucks away and not get the dice.

If I was more confident I would get what I paid for (through no fault of Battle School) I would buy the Waffen-SS set but that set is upwards to $80 USD and I could put that to better use than losing something though the Canadian post.

I would appreciate any input about this and I would really appreciate anyone who has had something shipped to the US from Battle School. Thank you ahead of time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigi, Canada Post ships and delivers stuff just fine. It's apt to lose something no more often than the USPS or any other first rate postal service. Moreover, they only need to deliver as far as the border and then the USPS takes over.

Prices have gone up a lot from just a few years ago. The USPS first and then Canada Post followed suit. Shipment insurance with Canada Post used to be quite reasonable. Recently it has gone up by a whole lot. That's what your shipper is saying, they don't want to eat the cost of insurance anymore.

Likewise, your shipper no longer wants to pay the higher cost of a service that includes tracking. Canada Post has a special US-only service for small packets that is much cheaper but lacks the bells and whistles of the higher priced services.

All of this is neither here nor there. I find it silly that companies keep using these scare tactics. You are never going to lose your money. You are entitled to receive what you pay for. It is the seller's job to ensure that you get it; not your job to ensure that you receive it. If you paid via a credit card, VISA for example, will reimburse you if you didn't get your product. The same is true with PayPal.

Insurance is a service provided by shipping companies for the shipper. He has to reship if you don't get your product. Indeed, as a recipient you can't even apply to collect on insurance as you're not the original shipper who contracted with the shipping company.

At the end of the day you'll be paying for the whole shipping cost. I don't understand why companies don't just silently include all the shipping costs and then just declare that to the buyer. Are there "scotch tape" or "envelope" fees? I don't understand why they bother with all this "at your own risk" stuff.

[Edit] I wouldn't pay for the insurance if it's an option. If I don't get my item, Visa or PayPal will reimburse me. It'll be the shipper's loss for not buying insurance on his shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Pewtress
Canada
Guelph
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the disclaimer, it appears tracking & insurance are available, presumably for a surcharge...

...perhaps contact the vendor?

Clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Rally Well!
badge
My Toyota War
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an explanation of their policies, but I have purchased from Battle School, and everything arrived at my home in Ohio just fine. Just email them and they will lay out all the costs and options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered a lot of dice through the years from battle school and have always been very happy.

With some orders they even add free dice - cannot complain about that

I will continue to use 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're really worried about it, Noble Knight sells Battle School dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ritterkrieg also has them:

http://ritterkrieg.com/dice-tower-home/battledice-from-battl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered twice and both times it all went well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the replies!

I didn't want to contact the seller yet to make sure others had used them; if I received this many replies then the amount of happy customers must be higher.

The reason for my apprehension is when I was doing a number of wargame auctions last year I had several items ship to Canada. One disappeared and another took almost 3 months to arrive at a location outside of Toronto. This (and the disclaimer) gave me a bit of pause.

Again, thanks for the info and I will be placing my order this evening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Insurance is a service provided by shipping companies for the shipper. He has to reship if you don't get your product. Indeed, as a recipient you can't even apply to collect on insurance as you're not the original shipper who contracted with the shipping company.

This isn't always true. I received game that had been water-damaged during shipping a few years back. The game was insured. I contacted the seller and he didn't take action--making excuses for weeks on making the claim.

As the recipient I contacted the post office and explained the situation. They told me to make a claim and I had my money refunded to me directly within days.

It was with great satisfaction that I was able to inform the no-action seller that I no longer needed his assistance as I'd received a full refund from the post office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.