Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello world BGG !

I've been a silent spectator of the community for quite a while now, and recently decided to step in, rather than just read.
It comes with a few questions though

While I'm not new to BGG, I usually browse the same area of the vast forums over and over again; Recently I started to poke my nose into the creators area as I became one meself, and I'm not quite sure about the rules of these sections, as well as the visible trends vs. said rules.

- The WIP section seem to be crowded by contests submissions, while others, contest-unrelated thread seems to slowly drown : is it either because the community is more excited by the contests, or because other projects simply fail to generate interest ?

I tend to not be at ease to show actual WIP art/designs when it hasn't reached some kind of completion -- meaning, I tend not to show much of an idea until I'm sure it goes somewhere solid.
This mean I'm now pretty far in my design completion, and I'd be willing to expose a kind of exploration/developement process rather than a WIP from scratch. Is WIP the good place to post such content, or would it be against the purpose of the forum ? If so, where should I post ?

- A more general question, in case a thread has a lot of replies, is it better to update the original post in case of an update, or reply at the end of the thread with said update ? I've seen both behavior, and personnaly I like when the whole topic is contained within the first post, rather than rattling through dozen of pages looking for the next relevant post -- though that might be related to the whole 'just here to look' thing ^^

Have a nice day, and see you around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

IMHO, WIP threads for contests will be updated more often and thus stay active for awhile. This combined with the interests from the contest will provide more content. So a contest does generate more interest via a few methods.

I'd say WIP is for anything not final version ready to publish. So if you are still protyping, or playtesting, give WIP a go.

You could do both: update the 1st post and add a post stating what the update is. IIRC, people subscribed to a thread won't get an update from an edit. Some contests want the 1st post to be up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hah ! Thanks a lot for the insight

Regarding the not-ready to publish, it's kindda borderline here. What's left to be done is mostly playtesting because you never do enough playtests, and art.
I'm trying to offload too complex/time sinking rules from the main version and turn them into possible extension, while having the graphic design of the card still supporting them flawlessly. So yeah I guess it has its place in WIP ^^

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.