$35.00
David Wallace
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My friends and I were looking for a game with a campaign that had 5 players with some amount of strategy and depth. So we picked up the TtoEE. One of our group members has all of the other games in this system, but because of the lack of an official campaign they never really landed for us. We had a great time playing this game but I'm not sure its a "great game."

This game does the characters exceptionally well. The abilities all felt unique and varied. They also felt fairly balanced (the warrior was a little over statted for how good some of their powers were). Also because each hero had their own skillset the "quaterbacking" most coop games have was diminished simply because it was incredibly hard to remember the minutia of each character.

The system in which the monsters attack was great. For an incredibly simple AI for each monster, many of the monsters felt thematic and produced minor puzzles of how best to dispatch them. Their is a LOT of agency in where they move, but also limitations (i.e. monster needs to be adjacent, but up to the active player which of the 6 squares around him the monster moves too). This alone can either make the game much harder if you move the monster to a more beneficial location or a more dangerous one.

The item deck needed FAR less 100 gold piece cards, but for a persistent treasure deck it did it's job fairly well. While maybe 50% of the treasures were used effectively consistently, there were many many treasures we simply kept just to sell for one of the more cleverly designed systems, but HUGELY flawed systems in the game. The tokens that allow you to (reroll, +1 dmg, recharge, and heal) were satisfying to buy and use, but we felt could have used more play testing for balance. The RECHARGE token simply broke the game for us, being able to use this on ratshadow, or the warrior with extra actions made any major monster or threat in the game ineffective. It would either be majorly wounded or dead in one turn. This led to the back half of the game not having the intensity it needed.

The campaign itself was ..... fine. I could think of a LOT of ways to make the game feel like it was getting more intense. However, this game just didn't ramp up in difficulty or complexity at the same rate the heroes gained items / knowledge. By the 6th scenario onward it was far too easy to guarantee kills on dangerous enemies and the difficulty coming solely from managing the encounter cards or two people controlling the same monster type. The final 4 -5 scenarios were only ever hard when we simply took too long to find the objective. Completing the objectives / killing the enemy was almost trivial.

One house rule I would do when playing this game is cull the monster deck far more frequently then the game suggests. Finding firebats, troglodytes, or really any of the 1 hp monsters in the back half of the campaign felt not only wrong in difficulty, wrong thematically. When replacing cards to add in the "empowered" versions of the cultists I would take out in addition to the normal cultists one group of easy level monsters as well.

We had a great time playing this game. However, this game could have been great with some rules changes and some more intriguing campaign scenarios. There was one (not specific due to spoilers) scenario where they had a clever idea, but they needed more twists and unpredictability in each scenario for this game to really be something amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Seems like you had a similar experience to me, although I was soloing with two characters. I agree with your appraisal of the game balance, and the biggest issue is the recharge tokens and subsequent lack of difficulty scaling in terms of enemies.

The bosses with their low AC are also too easy, and using the Ranger with Favoured Enemy ability and the OP umberhulk claws makes them nothing. There are instances where you can lose treasure items but I managed to keep the claws for three or four scenarios before that happened, only for the card to re-enter the deck and be found again soon after! I would defo not have this particular card in the treasure deck again.

The empowered cultists and elementals being added to the monster deck is nice but it can't keep up with the heroes power levels as they progress.

Luckily given the nature of the system it's easy to correct the balance in any number of ways, but it's a pity you have to play through the campaign first to find that out. Good idea you have removing one of the 1HP monster types, but for the sake of enemy variety I'd be inclined to find another way.

Slowing the gold acquisition rate, increasing monster appearance number, adjusting the way recharge tokens are acquired and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Di Mauro
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,I'm just starting a campaign to this game,so reading what u wrote,basically could I remove some coin bag cards?or let draw only one treasure card per A FULL TURN OF GAME (considering it like all players have played their turn..i could introduce a token to remember who was the last one to get a tresure so we could turn correctly to received rewards)?so to don't exceed with a lot of coins to spent in levelling and tokens?Thinking also to consider a bonus +1HP monster fighting an heroe's group of level 2?in every case I think that 2 surge token are even too much..I think will play with one..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Katbizkitz wrote:
Seems like you had a similar experience to me, although I was soloing with two characters. I agree with your appraisal of the game balance, and the biggest issue is the recharge tokens and subsequent lack of difficulty scaling in terms of enemies.

I don't have the game yet, but you can solo the game with only 2 chars? If yes, any char or specific ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:

I don't have the game yet, but you can solo the game with only 2 chars? If yes, any char or specific ones?

Any two characters. Of course some characters might be more suitable for it, but I wouldn't know as I personally have played the ToEE campaign only with the two man party of the rogue and the fighter. I lost only one scenario, though a couple scenarios came very close.

When I feel like starting again, I am going to choose two different heroes to make the game feel more fresh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy way to ramp up the difficulty is simply to add more monsters. In the other games every tile always produces a monster, so adding one more monster or having a default minimum of one per tile might be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.