Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Title: Master Assassin (or Master Assasstin, for the pun)

Designer: Dave Myers

Overview: Master Assasstin is a card drafting and dice rolling game where players take on the role of assassins drafting the right weapons and items to fulfill contracts. Contracts are worth variable amounts of Prestige depending on which weapon you use. Each weapon is a different sized die (d4 - d20) and operates differently than the others. The more you succeed with a weapon, the more you can +/- to its value in future rolls. The first assassin to reach 15 prestige is promoted to Master Assassin.

# of Players: 2-5 players

Suggested Play Time: 20 minutes

List of Components:
5 Player Cards (biz size)
36 Contract Cards (micro size)
6 Item Cards (micro size)
6 dice (one of each d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20)
1 First Player marker (Lego Cowl)

Rules:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ol_jIRt3WiCCc1Ty3Wvd6xhU...

Cards:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7airt99efo12hby/Master%20Assasstin...

EDIT: suggested play time
EDIT: link to cards and rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Master Assass(t)in 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - Idea Phase
Subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mAnIk Farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Subbed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Alpha Prototype

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool idea. Is the theme going to be modern like james bond with different types of guns/sniper rifles ect or more like ninjas from the past with throwing stars, poisoned blades ect.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As of now, and it is early still, I'm going with more of medieval themed assassins. Reason being that it's what I'm more familiar with. The weapons of choice are dagger, short sword, katana, blow darts, throwing knives, and bow/arrows. The mechanics are tied closely since the dice are upgraded in "families" of weapons. That is, using the dagger successfully also upgrades your short sword abilities. Blow darts and throwing knives are linked. The katana and the bow/arrows each stand alone.

A modern skin might make these categories of weapons more intuitive, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
As of now, and it is early still, I'm going with more of medieval themed assassins. Reason being that it's what I'm more familiar with. The weapons of choice are dagger, short sword, katana, blow darts, throwing knives, and bow/arrows. The mechanics are tied closely since the dice are upgraded in "families" of weapons. That is, using the dagger successfully also upgrades your short sword abilities. Blow darts and throwing knives are linked. The katana and the bow/arrows each stand alone.

A modern skin might make these categories of weapons more intuitive, though...

Sounds interesting. Subscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Can't wait to hear more.
I always prefer play the thief/assassin/ninja type in any kind of game.

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will stealth be part of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth will not be an explicit part of the game, but one of the items that modify rolls will probably be linked to stealth. The idea is that the contracts each have a number range that represents the distance from the target that you need to be. The smaller dice are close-combat weapons, which make it easier to fulfill contracts with low ranges. Conversely, the Bow/arrow is the d20, which allows from much larger numbers, but it is not as reliable up close or with narrower range requirements.

The Items in the game modify rolls to help you fulfill contracts that might be harder with one type of weapon. I'm not sure what these might be exactly. I have not yet named the items yet. Right now the item abilities are the following:
up to +4 on your roll
down to -4 on your roll
1 re-roll
take two weapons (dice), roll both, take one result
Fulfill 2 Contracts with one roll
Take the first player marker

Maybe they're not items; maybe they're something else less concrete, more fluid - like traits or abilities. I'm still playing around with how these abilities fit with the theme. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see.

Looking forward to the components to get a better feel for the game play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played about a dozen trials with my playtest group last week. I'm getting a rules document ready this weekend. I will post it as soon as it's done for anyone willing to read through. Components will be close behind.

Warning: the game does require a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and a d20 each in a different color. If you want to the color scheme to match the rules and cards, the d4 is red, d6 is green, d8 is yellow, d10 is black, d12 is blue, and d20 is white. I realize this might be prohibitive for some people to playtest the game. For those testers that have a different colored dice set: if you print in grey scale, you should be able to color the cards after printing to match your dice color scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fair Warning noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The First draft of the rules are up! I had some technical difficulties. All feedback welcome! Components coming soon...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ol_jIRt3WiCCc1Ty3Wvd6xhU...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Master Assass(t)in 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - Component Ready
Component Ready!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1uO0xSfjXL_NzhPX2UzVU9feDg...

All feedback welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Master Assass(t)in 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - Idea Phase - Rules Added!
I can't help thinking of the assassin guild in Discworld and their crazy tasks in order to be elevated in the guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld and also the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion/Skyrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sweet! Two of my three favorite sources for assassins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell in love with this concept Dave. I'll be playing this this weekend, already printed it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Jblaske, for the graphic design overhaul!

Here is the link to the new (prettier) version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7airt99efo12hby/Master%20Assasstin...

You have to check it out!!

Beautiful work, Justin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave for the fun idea!

We played a couple games with 3 players tonight, and I wanted to bring some feedback to you.

Rules/Setup

It wasn't clear what to do with the items, if they were shuffled in with the contracts or what. We figured it out though, at least I think we did. We had all 6 sitting out face up each round.

We also had 4 random weapons, and 4 contracts available each round (adding 3 new ones, and leaving one out that didn't get taken the round before.)

Extra Weapon Item

We weren't sure when you got to take the second weapon, but we just let that player take 4 cards for the round instead of 3. I suppose they could have also taken the extra weapon as part of choosing that item card. I'd love to know what your intent was there.

Contracts

Some contracts had star values for things that weren't possible. Like 15+ giving 3 stars for Red/Green the highest you could roll with red/green is 4/6 and a dding 4 to that only got you up to 10, so it seemed like the card should have just been 0 stars for red/green. It was mildly confusing, because it seemed like there should be a way to get the value up that high if it provided points.

Overall

All three of us really enjoyed it, loved the decision making progress of "do i want that item more, or that weapon.. or do I really need that contract? Well he has a weapon already so I don't have to worry as much there but..." So very well done on that!

The dice rolls were very satisfying and also disappointing (in a good way) so well done there also!

I'll definitely play this more as I am able to. Good work Dave!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing, Justin!

Clarifications:

Rules/Setup
I added a sentence in the Setup Section of the rules about placing all 6 Item Cards face up where all players can reach them. So, your intuition on that one was right. Apologies for the omission.

4 Weapons and 4 Contracts per round is right for a 3-player game. I tried having 6 contracts out for all player counts. It gave more options, but I'm not sure if not scaling for different player counts is a good idea or not. Your thoughts or trials on the matter would be appreciated.

Extra Weapon Item
The way I have been playing it is that you take the extra weapon when you take the item. So far that hasn't been abusive. If you notice that it could become abused, then I would have that player choose the weapon on their next turn (or any subsequent turn).

Contracts
With the Item boost (+4) and +/-1 bonus for each fulfilled contract in that category, it is possible to get to some of those higher contract requirements. Your example of the 15+ is harder, for sure, but I think 3 stars is better than 0 stars, in case a player does want to reach for it.

Thanks again for your comments and support.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no files in the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching that!

I added the links to the first post.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.