Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone tried playing a 9-player game including Planta and/or Descendants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, as I am FINALLY after years of owning this and its first expansion, going to get to play a 7-9 player game. I'm very excited... I was brushing up on rules when I saw they didn't recommend using these two races, and I understand why they wouldn't be recommended.

Does anyone have any first hand experience that proves this recommendation to be true or vice versa? We're going to do a draft for races prior to the event and I need to figure out how it's going to work eliminating two of the races..

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Vézina
Canada
N-D-île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What expansions are you using? Are all players experienced?

And above all, do you have have a good 9 hours to play this game?

but most of all, the question is: am I jealous you can pull this off?

yes, yes, I am.

I have never played a 9 player game, but alliances/positioning will play a bigger factor then the race.

In my opinion, Planta will have to form a full alliance very early on, preferably with an aggressive race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, the races I named in the subject. Planta and Descendants.

Using base game and Rise of the Ancients.

In North America (not sure if its a worldwide thing) we have a charity called Extra Life where you play games for 24 hours and raise money while doing so. We're playing on this event, which takes place Nov. 5. So yes, we'll have time

All players are experienced, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL totally thought your flag was a country other than Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a game like this the other week - we split it up over three days. And it took over 10 hours, but half the players were new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play with Planta and/or Descendants? Did they feel overpowered in such a large game?

I'm honestly confident we'll be able to finish (using simultaneous play variant) in 4-6 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Planta is they can cut people off in an unfun way. You're starting from tier 3, not 2. There are only 6 tier 1 spots and 9 players. Furthermore, there is a bigger stack of explorable tiles meaning Planta's advantage is more powerful. I do not recommend them. We have not played them in our large games.

Draco is a tad different. Better able to filter, they have better chances of getting to tier I than others, but if they don't they can be heavily screwed. Plus a smaller percentage of ancients will be possibly under their control (divide ancients by nine players instead of six). They are far weaker than normal.

If you have the anomalies I'd highly suggest using them and make sure your hex stacks are limited to the right numbers. I.e. Randomly draw five tier I tiles from all possible tier I tiles (withholding any that are agreed upon) then add in the anomaly to make your exploration stack exactly 6. This means early explorers are still able to discard the anomaly, but eventually someone could play it or you leave a hole in the board if no one wants to or has access to that spot. Then do this for tier 2 and 3 as well.

Why do I recommend this? It gives another centerish hex to covet, fight over, and connect people. Important in a nine player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
tranenturm wrote:
If you have the anomalies I'd highly suggest using them and make sure your hex stacks are limited to the right numbers. I.e. Randomly draw five tier I tiles from all possible tier I tiles (withholding any that are agreed upon) then add in the anomaly to make your exploration stack exactly 6. This means early explorers are still able to discard the anomaly, but eventually someone could play it or you leave a whole in the board if no one wants to or has access to that spot. Then do this for tier 2 and 3 as well.

Is this the standard rule for choosing the hexes? I couldn't find this method in the rules, though.
We always play with all tier 1 and 2 hexes available in the respective stacks. Do we play wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amenophobis wrote:
tranenturm wrote:
If you have the anomalies I'd highly suggest using them and make sure your hex stacks are limited to the right numbers. I.e. Randomly draw five tier I tiles from all possible tier I tiles (withholding any that are agreed upon) then add in the anomaly to make your exploration stack exactly 6. This means early explorers are still able to discard the anomaly, but eventually someone could play it or you leave a whole in the board if no one wants to or has access to that spot. Then do this for tier 2 and 3 as well.

Is this the standard rule for choosing the hexes? I couldn't find this method in the rules, though.
We always play with all tier 1 and 2 hexes available in the respective stacks. Do we play wrong?

No it's not standard. You play correctly. The above method gently forces the anomalies to get played vs standard play where it's not guaranteed to draw all three. And even if one is drawn, a player may discard it making it essentially gone for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party but having played a lot of 9 player Eclipse, I wanted to point out that if you're playing fast and furious with people that are looking for fun and aren't super serious board gamers, you're probably ok with the "restricted" races. But the biggest risk of the two is Planta because of the potential to screw over their neighbors faster as noted. It was kind of an issue one time when we played but at least with our group it wasn't so bad. Probably won't do it again.

An alternative to the Anomaly "deep" portal hex is to just throw an ancient homeworld out in "zone IV" and say it can be connected to by any other portal. Does a similar thing as the Anomaly hex but can be done without expansion. There's also a file out there somewhere on the Geek for a zone IV connection to other stuff - we did that and it was a bit overpowered when only one player had a portal that could reach it.

Biggest thing I would emphasize is a clear path for all players to get to where the techs are (we put off on a separate table) and enforce that the game is moving along briskly with the two pawns. Faster is better than playing optimally if you don't want to be there for six-seven hours.

If you can manage it, we've had great success using a camera mount to project the technologies up on a wall so all players can see them from their seats. Speeds things up tremendously.

It's fun and chaotic and worth doing - but it's a different animal from the more thoughtful 4-6 player Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.