Subject: Storm Hollow at Essen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance to see/try/buy the game in Essen this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Not convinced that this will ever see the light of day...highly unlikely in Essen since we haven't heard any concrete updates as KSers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
Not convinced that this will ever see the light of day...highly unlikely in Essen since we haven't heard any concrete updates as KSers.

Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

Wow. :(

This project has been completed in baby steps for years now. I have full confidence it will be produced. However they stated that they are only making enough copies for Kickstarter backers in one of the updates. Not sure this will be sold to the general public
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
poifpoif wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

Wow.

This project has been completed in baby steps for years now. I have full confidence it will be produced. However they stated that they are only making enough copies for Kickstarter backers in one of the updates. Not sure this will be sold to the general public

It is over 3 years late from its original delivery date. I backed it with the intention of playing with my 2 older kids, who would have been in the sweet spot in age for the game had it been delivered within a year of that original date. Now they're past that age....

I'm hoping it will still get produced and I'll have an opportunity to play with my youngest (who isn't quite old enough yet), but there's so little information, minimal status, etc., that I really doubt it'll happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
poifpoif wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

Wow.

It is over 3 years late from its original delivery date. I backed it with the intention of playing with my 2 older kids, who would have been in the sweet spot in age for the game had it been delivered within a year of that original date. Now they're past that age....

I'm hoping it will still get produced and I'll have an opportunity to play with my youngest (who isn't quite old enough yet), but there's so little information, minimal status, etc., that I really doubt it'll happen.

If you are wanting a game to play with the young ones have you thought about No Thank You, Evil! or even Mouse Guard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
scubadawg1 wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
poifpoif wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

Wow.

If you are wanting a game to play with the young ones have you thought about No Thank You, Evil! or even Mouse Guard?

I've got other games that meet that same age range (in fact, I volunteer at 2 different junior high game clubs), but I really liked what I saw with this game for MY kids....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

My understanding is they will not be able to mass produce the Kickstarter version of the game, but that they do intend to make a retail version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'll try to address all the things I've read here

1) The game is completely 100% done. All the design, layout, final final proofing of all the files, everything. I literally have hundreds and hundreds of final card files and 6 full (beautiful) books on my computer, they are fully ready to go and have been for a while. It's literally at the print stage, so it is 100% happening. I don't know what the hangup is, but Game Salute should be posting an update *very* soon, hopefully with details of the exact status of that process.

2) I know people think their kids have "aged out" of the game, but we did so much of our playtesting with adults and teenagers, so I would implore folks to at least give it a look before they write it off as "too young". Just because a younger kid *can* play the game doesn't mean it's a kid's game. We built the game with the idea that kids, tweens, teens, and adults could play alongside each other, or any of those age ranges, and find something to enjoy. Julian and I both have graduate degrees in education and we really worked on scaffolding the game where there is a lot of accessibility for younger gamers or casual gamers on the surface level, but a lot of depth for older or more experienced gamers to dive into. Our big campaign, Pieces of a Broken World, was first played by a group of teenage boys who thought it was *great*, and loved finding ways to min/max their character powers and artifact combos between adventures and using their abilities to the fullest extent. We've also played the campaign with young kids who find the funnest part f it to be jumping into the story and using the items in their adventuring kits in creative ways, and don't care much about their artifact abilities at all and pick their powers based on how cool they look, like having the Frosty the Snowman ally or being able to summon a Phoenix spark. These are both viable ways to play the game and the difficulty scales. I know this won't be obvious until people have a chance to see it, but I feel like our biggest challenge is combating the idea that the game is "a game for kids". We've played it at many conventions with groups of adults only to great success. So, there's my impassioned plea for the day

3) We are definitely going to do everything we can to bring the game to retail. What isn't likely to go to retail is the giant Treasury, which contains everything made for the Kickstarter, simply because its just too expensive to produce and has been one of the biggest challenges in the printing process I believe. We are really really proud of all the content we've created, and are trying to find ways to break that down into a viable retail product that maintains the integrity of the system and contains all the things you need to play (its very components heavy, a lesson we've learned from)

4) The game won't be at Essen. Sorry

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Angie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are awesome Angie. Thanks for the reply here. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RewLikesGames wrote:
You are awesome Angie. Thanks for the reply here. thumbsup

Aww, thanks! You're awesome too!

Thanks everyone for hanging in there with us! I'm SO EXCITED for you all to get to see this thing we've worked for so hard and so long on. Seriously! Even if you don't like it or it isn't the game for you or <insert comment here>, I'll appreciate anyone who takes the time to check out this thing we made and let us know what they think (hopefully in a constructive and kind way!)

-Angie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yasemin ...
Australia
Unspecified
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Angie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. What about 2017 then? Still no chance to get the game in Essen? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Ok. What about 2017 then? Still no chance to get the game in Essen? blush

I just checked with the brand manager at Game Salute, and she confirmed that Storm Hollow will be with them at Essen, but in very limited quantities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is great news! Any booth location info available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Wow. This is great news! Any booth location info available?

Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb

Dann, do you have any info on booth location for Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.