Subject: Questions about cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal
"During another player's turn, if they attack, discard this card to give them -10 Damage."
Spirit of a Hero
"During another player's turn, if they attack, discard this card to gain +4 cards to your hand."

These cards do not say 'may', does this mean that if a player has one of these cards in hand, they must do this at the first opportunity?

Born of Flame
"If you buy a card this turn, draw 1 Campaign card."
Call to Arms
"Draw 1 Campaign card."

Does 'draw' mean that you have to take a random Campaign card, or can you take one of the revealed Campaign cards (what happens if the deck is depleted)?

Varcolac
"Flip top Blue Invader. If it is 20 HP or less, defeat it. Otherwise, place below Blue Invader deck."
Does this trigger reveal effects of the Blue Invader flipped?
If it does, why not use the wording "Reveal the top Blue Invader. If it is 20 HP or less, defeat it; if not, place below Blue Invader deck."?
Maybe consider increasing the amount of room for text if a card needs greater clarification?

Other huge hassle:
Gain/Draw

The rules say:
"Gain - Gaining a card adds that card to the top of your discard pile, unless otherwise specified."

The FAQ says:
"When a card says "gain", where do I gain from?
"Gain" means gain from the top of the deck into your hand, unless the card says otherwise. For example, the Sorceress Defender states "Gain 2 cards from your discard pile to the top of your deck," so you would gain those cards from your discard pile."

Black Sword
"Choose another player. Gain 1 card from their discard pile."
Per the FAQ, this card doesn't say otherwise, so the "gained" card goes into the hand of the player that played Black Sword, correct?

Cursed Fury
"Inflict +10 Damage during this turn. Gain 1 Terror card."

Cursed Fury (and Growing Darkness, and Gladiator Elite, and Iron Guardian, and Stone Titan, and Werebear, and Hellhound, and Wyvern, and Balar, and Skull Lord, and Fire Dragon) seems to be using the "rules" version of the word, not the purportedly overriding version in the FAQ.

A significant number of questions could have been avoided by clear and consistent use of terms like "gain".
Is there a particular reason why "draw" isn't always used for drawing from the top card of a player's deck and "gain" isn't only used for adding a card from the supply to a player's discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Betrayal
"During another player's turn, if they attack, discard this card to give them -10 Damage."

If due to this card a player does not have enough attack to defeat anything, what happens?

If, due to this card, a player does not have enough attack to defeat the invader they wanted to, but enough to defeat a different invader, do they have to defeat an invader? Can they choose just to miss on the attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason the cards do not say "may" is because you do not need to put the card in play if it is in your hand. You may chose to allow the other player to attack without revealing the card.

"Draw" means you can chose a revealed campaign card or draw from the top of the deck. I'm sorry about this confusion, the card should have been more clear.

The rule book specifies where your "gain" goes, to your discard pile.

The FAQ specifies where do you gain from. The wording is confusing, I admit. I will update the FAQ shortly. Thanks a lot for point this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question for the FAQ! The players turn is over if the Betrayal card is played. The player has chosen their target and have been stopped. Their turn is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.