7 Posts

A.D.A.P.T.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buying is compulsory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rich
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules as written make it seem like you can't pass at all, which means that if you can't wipe the gene stream because there's a body someone else can acquire, you can't attack (because you haven't acquired a way of attacking yet), you can't adapt anything in your PGP, and there is something in the gene stream that you can buy, you have to buy it. Is that right?

If that is the case it seems like it removes a lot of the player's agency if they can't save up for something they want and are instead forced to buy something. Especially if the thing they are forced to buy is a body part that would replace one they already have that might suit their purposes better. Is there some part of the rules I'm missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich,

You are correct that you can't pass. You must perform SOME action every turn - The game is designed to always more forward.

The occasion that one is forced to BUY and nothing else is very very rare, (99% of the time you can at least attack - with your level 1 or better body) as this can only occur when you are still a Guppy or they are Jumping. Every other time attacking (at least) is an option - And attacking is a bonus hit or miss (damage or +XP). PLUS when you can't do ANY of it, you get a free "buy" through forced adaptation.

I hope that helps.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Whyte
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played our first game tonight (still are!) but you can get stuck where you have a lvl 0 guppy and are force to buy and fill your PGP without any other options. Then hit 20xp and forced to go through adapt but can't as everything is higher level than you can adapt to...

This is a valid situation you can end up in so we do need clarification on what to do as have a very peeved player tonight :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly - that's what happened to us too. One player got stuck as a guppy and couldn't save up points to buy a better body because every time their turn came around they were forced to buy something they didn't want just because they could afford it. Because they couldn't save up, they couldn't buy what they wanted when it DID come around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delayed response, was on vacation.

Thanks for the question gents, lemme address it as you literally can't get stuck as a guppy.

Being forced to buy every turn is nearly impossibly rare.

Remember: you only need to perform ANY 1 of the 5 options. Don't buy, "Wipe the Gene Stream" instead. Wipe, wipe, wipe is the way to get fast exp and manipulate the Gene Stream early in the game.

Remember: if you hit 20exp you get a free level 1 or 2 Body from ANYWHERE in the deck (via cycling the gene stream till you find an eligible one). You truly literally can't get stuck. I wish I could be there with you to better explain in person seeing your situation, but I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Whyte
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But I thought you can't wipe the stream if there was an upgrade part that could be used by another player? So the stuck player couldn't wipe the stream if there was a level 3 body they could upgrade to? And with 6 players it gets worse as you can upgrade 2 levels above where you are. Or am I readying that wrong???

Looking forward to the clarification John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Can do! : )

Only an upgrade BODY, not an upgrade PART, prevents wiping. Parts never effect it.

Guppies are Level 0. So +2 is Level 2, not 3.

With 6 players the Gene Stream is so crazy long it makes it harder to Wipe, yes, but it also provides a ton more options each player turn; you have twice the buy options over a 2 player game. With all expansions in, it also keeps the exact Body to Part ratio in the deck, so the stream is roughly as likely to be wipe-able, save for its length.

Thoughts?

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.