Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Stephens
Australia
Ringwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm from Australia, and there's currently no news of the game coming to Australia any time soon (or any place outside the US/Canada, for that matter).

I'm wondering if it's worth getting it from the US or not. The only downside I can see is that if there's a bit of a localisation thing going, but the only thing that I could see being a real deal breaker is if it actually mentions "Sorcerer's Stone", as opposed to the Philosopher's Stone that we're more familiar with, and are a bit narky towards the "dumbing down" (legit this was feedback from J.K. editor) for American audiences.

If anyone can confirm or deny this aspect exists in the game, would greatly appreciate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinBoy24 wrote:
Ok, so I'm from Australia, and there's currently no news of the game coming to Australia any time soon (or any place outside the US/Canada, for that matter).

I'm wondering if it's worth getting it from the US or not. The only downside I can see is that if there's a bit of a localisation thing going, but the only thing that I could see being a real deal breaker is if it actually mentions "Sorcerer's Stone", as opposed to the Philosopher's Stone that we're more familiar with, and are a bit narky towards the "dumbing down" (legit this was feedback from J.K. editor) for American audiences.

If anyone can confirm or deny this aspect exists in the game, would greatly appreciate it :)

Well anyone who played D&D in the US knew what a Philosopher Stone was but the general public did not so She made up the term Sorcerer's Stone. I really wish she had not. A boy dressed in robes flying on a broom easily would have coveyed it was a preteen book about a magic using boy.

I guess she was worried that parents would not buy it because it was going to be a book about Ethics and Philosophy and be too boring for their kids to read. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's insulting. That editor should have been fired if he really said that. Different cultures often end up with different names for similar things and the same word can have different connotations. Has nothing to do with intelligence.

For instance, in the Netherlands the book is titled Harry Potter and the Stone of the Wise... Wow, they must be really dumb huh?

Here's a list of what the book is called in a number of different countries, look at all these stupid people!

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_titles_of_Harry_Po...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinBoy24 wrote:

If anyone can confirm or deny this aspect exists in the game, would greatly appreciate it :)

Well, I just opened game 1. It does have Sorcerer's stone or a Philosopher stone mentioned anywhere on the cards. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Wow, that's insulting. That editor should have been fired if he really said that. Different cultures often end up with different names for similar things and the same word can have different connotations. Has nothing to do with intelligence.

For instance, in the Netherlands the book is titled Harry Potter and the Stone of the Wise... Wow, they must be really dumb huh?

Here's a list of what the book is called in a number of different countries, look at all these stupid people!

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_titles_of_Harry_Po...

It really just speaks more to the education and self-esteem of the editor than anything else.
Not worth getting upset over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is by no means an official answer, but the game appears to be based off of the IP of the movie and not the books. So any questions you have along this line would be answered by looking on your DVD shelf, not your bookshelf. I've not yet seen them sneak anything into the game that is exclusive to the books. (i.e. SPEW hasn't come up) Having said that, I can confirm a previous reply that (minor spoiler) there is no card in the game that represents or mentions the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's stone. So if that is really the straw you are going to choose to break your camel's back, you are safe to buy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stephens
Australia
Ringwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't intend for this thread to be derailed into the stupid politics of localisation differences. FWIW, J.K has said on multiple occasions that one of her greatest regrets is not sticking to her guns about keeping the book as is.

It only ever happened to the first book, before she was rich and successful and had everyone in the industry eating from her hand, but yeah I believe that the editor from Scholastic (is that the publisher of the books in the US?) was pretty much like "American kids won't know what these things are, they need to be changed if the book is ever going to be published in America."

The changes are mostly minor, like when they went to the zoo, in the UK version Dudley is given a "knickerbocker" treat, which tbh as an Australian, I have always had no idea what that was, and I think it got changed to a banana split or a sundae or something, and other minor changes like jelly to jell-o and the like.

But that's interesting that the scenario that represents the first movie has nothing to do with the PS/SS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played game 1 and 2 with my wife and son but I honestly didn't even notice that it wasn't there. It wasn't till I read this thread that I thought about it.

I can understand though, especially if it has all those different names. Also, it mages sense for the beginning games, to not have anything to powerful.

The game is pretty good as is and I don't think it is lacking anything from them leaving it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.