United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alien Escaping Veterans!

I just snagged a copy of the Ultimate Edition because I always wanted it and NOW IT IS MINE. I read through the rules which state to play the Galilei map for your first game without special roles and items and stuff.

So I turned to Galilei and my brain went BZORKKKzzz!!! It's HUGE.

So for experienced players that have taught this game to friends or enemies in the past, what do you recommend as a good starting map and setup for group of 4-6 players? I'm thinking a smaller map might let us fail a lot faster. The group I'm planning to play with are a mixture of lighter and experienced gamers, so I might try out the Items in the first game, but not the roles. Good plan/Bad plan?

Also, are there some helpful note-taking rules that might aid new players? Should you write down your location on the map-grid as well to be safe? How do you note other player's motions? Any other tips/tricks?

Help me make my first game an outrageous success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Rinaldi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you sure about the manual? I don't have the ultimate edition, but the rules PDFs published at eftaios.com (both the old one and the ultimate edition one) describe the alien and human sectors as the sectors where the respective-role players start (page 4, under GAME TURNS).

Sorry for not having any suggestion for your play, I'm still waiting for my first game after years : (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Woods
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it."
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual mentions starting locations when describing the various hexes. The play books also have a handy chart at the top that explains everything as a key as well for items and hexes. The back has explanation of the roles if those are played as well. Each map should have a name, number of suggested players, and description in the manual I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Newbie here.

First thing is as a human, expect to lose. The goal when first learning the game is to try to stay alive as long as possible. And if you happen to make it to an escape pod, that is a win. But the aliens travel twice as fast as you do.

As far as I can tell, as a human you need to maximize the value when you get a liar card, as you will have no choice when you must tell the truth about where you are. So the lie must be plausible, or it will easily be seen as a lie. So you need to pretend to be an alien and see what lie would be the most convincing, not what lie if accepted would help you the most.

The humans must try to split up, only one can escape for each pod, plus if you are together, it just makes the search area smaller. This means you need to try to identify who is a human and who is an alien, but basically, you run away from anyone else.

As an alien you can work together with another alien if you can figure out that is what they are by approaching the target from different spots. Together you are almost certain to be able to trap first one human and then another. You do not want to be mistaken for a human when another unknown entity is close to you in the advanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
neuzd wrote:
Sorry for not having any suggestion for your play, I'm still waiting for my first game after years : (

No problem, I erased that line in my question, because I got TWO responses about it unrelated to my real question. SMH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
While not that experienced at the game, I have by now played it 3 times total with different groups each time (4 players once, 8 players twice), using the Galilei map. I too had the worry it may take too long for the game to end, but each time the game ended close to turn 20. Also, given it was 'new' each time, we played without roles or items.

However, I think the game is simple enough that you could play with the items first time around, especially since all of the symbology is explained in each book. The only concern is that it may make the turns in the first game a bit longer than expected as everyone is trying to read what items they got and how and when to use it.

Note taking wise, people differed in my groups - some were happy to keep most of the information in their head, whilst the most common note taking was marking initials and then dotted lines for movement. One thing I think you should look out for is regarding recording one's own moves, each of our games we had one or two players (including me one time!) who thought it was a different turn to everyone else (e.g. 12th or 13th?) because they'd marked fewer turns, despite everyone being sure we hadn't skipped anyone. So I'd suggest making clear that everyone should clearly announce their turn and record it.

In addition, anything that'd help players pay attention to other's turns/get into the game would be good, maybe some good atmospheric music? There's a thread on this, but I've got compiled a youtube playlist of some instrumentals that are more atmospheric and less musical. EDIT: Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwCsqJ8YBq-2QDDd90Xf...

Anyway, good luck with your first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I learned from my first play with 6 players. The Galilei map, as suspected, is too large for a first game. Even though it offers a good amount of space for players to learn and adapt, it is also unforgiving and somewhat confusing. It took us about 90 minutes to play, which was about 40 minutes too lengthy. The items were not confusing for a first play. We played without roles though which I think was a good idea.

We had a really interesting situation where two players drew enough green cards that they were able to lie effectively the entire game. It caused an amazing end-game scenario where they unknowingly headed to the same escape pod, and one player revealed themselves there one turn before the other. It was great! It seemed like a logical end-point, so we didn't continue on. If we had, add another 20 minutes. One player escaped earlier and had nothing to do for 20 minutes.

So, I won't use that map next learning session. I wish there was a good alternative, but I'll try out the others. And another tip I learned: always have players state whether they drew a card or not for Silence. We kept saying "CARD SILENCE" because if you didn't everyone would ask "did you draw a card?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
TheCrippledWerewolf wrote:
And another tip I learned: always have players state whether they drew a card or not for Silence. We kept saying "CARD SILENCE" because if you didn't everyone would ask "did you draw a card?"

Just to point out, technically you're meant to say 'Silent Sector' if you don't draw a card and 'Silence in all Sectors' if you do. It really doesn't matter at all, so it's really whatever works for your group, and 'card silence' is a nicely succinct way of distinguishing them.

Hope you continue on to have many great experiences with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.