25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Adventure Board Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Talisman and games of that ilk. Do they still get made? Or has everything moved to the Descent/Imperial Assault style of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound is probably what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Talisman, in fact, was still in print itself up until earlier this month.
Runebound 3rd Edition is another great example (as mentioned.)
I'm also rather partial to Venture Forth, although it's more of a Euro-y adventure game, so it may not be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game very much has a Runebound-in-space feel if you're into sci-fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Euro side of the spectrum, Legends of Andor is a great adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic realm..

Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Runebound 3rd ed. I am a Talisman fan as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
Talisman and games of that ilk. Do they still get made?

Quantum_Jack wrote:
Magic realm..

That's very new, isn't it? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Maybe not quite what your looking for, but Robinson crusoe, Above & Below, eldritch horror, Mansion of Madness 2ed. & Time Stories all have an adventure feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was just interested in the discussion, rather than a specific recommendation

NOt that i'm not interested in a good new boardgame (although the prices in my local FLGS seem to have skyrocketed - particularly for FFG games).

I have Firefly, it's fun but the space required is hugely prohibitive for me.

I've heard a lot of buzz about Robinson Crusoe and I'd be interested in playing it but I don't think I've ever seen it one sale. Thematically it seems a little 'bland' (nothing wrong with that, except no lasers, dinosaurs, robots, fireballs, wizards or candyfloss).

Talisman is a fine game which I haven't played in years, mostly because it takes years to complete a game!

I played 1e Runebound, but it was a bit bland IMO. The movement mechanism was really good though.

I just don't see much like this nowadays. I've wanted to give Relic a try but couldn't bring myself to purchase because it's too similar to Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Runebound 1st edition was the best of the three editions, imo. I don't understand why it should take ages to complete a game of Talisman. We played 2 or 3 games of 2nd edition talisman with most of the expansions (left out the alternate endings) in an afternoon. (Four players, no restarts if a player has reached second tier.)

Also, a very nice, lightweight and long out of print adventure game is Dinosaurs of the Lost World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman can drag if nobody's really pushing for the end and setting the pace of the game. It's essentially a race game, and it's not always obvious how aggressively you should advance if you aren't very familiar with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Competitive A Touch of Evil or Fortune and Glory share an adventure game quality due to their race against other players aspect. You have to find better gear for your heroes so you can overcome the villain in a showdown for ATOE or hit the Fortune target in FANG.

Defenders of the Last stand added some adventure game aspects to the Defenders of the Realm (Pandemic) formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound 2nd Edition (harder to find, a bit expensive, but a great adventure game with lots of story)
Runebound 3rd Edition (not as much story as 2nd, more mechanics but still light, still very long despite the heavy re-working)
Mage Knight (very heavy euro, not much story)
Prophecy (overlooked adventure game, goes in and out of print)
Venture Forth (light euro adventure, again, not much story)
The Witcher Board Game (light, Talisman-esque randomness, but great amounts of story and cool bits)
Merchants & Marauders (pirate game with a strong adventure feel, quests, characters, story, etc.)
A Touch of Evil (bad, stay away, clunky, poorly written rules, effects and cards that clash, very random, way too long for what it is)
Arkham/Eldritch Horror (add some horror into your adventure, lose the fantasy)
Shadows of Malice (not a very good looking game, a bit light on story, but checks all the adventure boxes)
Return of the Heroes (another overlooked game, more pick-up and deliver than grand storylines, may be out of print?)

Runebound 2nd Ed. is still my personal favorite, despite its own flaws.

In general, not many adventure games are made these days, most of them are several years old. Runebound was probably only updated because FFG wants to continue to build the Terrinoth property. Other than that, there have been a few other oddities released like Adventure Land, a very lightweight euro with a loose "adventure" theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:
Competitive A Touch of Evil or Fortune and Glory share an adventure game quality due to their race against other players aspect. You have to find better gear for your heroes so you can overcome the villain in a showdown for ATOE or hit the Fortune target in FANG.

Defenders of the Last stand added some adventure game aspects to the Defenders of the Realm (Pandemic) formula.
Would love to play Last Stand, but it's very expensive.

Same with Fortune and Glory - plus I hate roll a die to move mechanics. Flying Frog are a weird lot; they come up with good ideas and then rely on a really lame foundation.

And those damn awful cd's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
ghost whistler wrote:
Thematically it seems a little 'bland' (nothing wrong with that, except no lasers, dinosaurs, robots, fireballs, wizards or candyfloss).

If you find a game with every single one of those elements, BUY THAT GAME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I forgot to mention Posthuman. I'd say that one definitely qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Agents of SMERSH. It's a story-telling adventure game with a 1970's spy theme. Not very deep or strategic, but oodles of fun nonetheless. If you dig stories in your adventure games, also take a look at Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, serious question here, what makes Talisman an adventure game but IA and D2E not? I've not played Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
So, serious question here, what makes Talisman an adventure game but IA and D2E not? I've not played Talisman.

I think an "adventure game" is generally typified by roaming around some kind of map (abstract or otherwise), and dealing with encounter/event cards that are resolved completely indepentently of one another, and without the use of a tactical combat map. That's what I've noticed from how the term is applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IrekIsmaren wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Thematically it seems a little 'bland' (nothing wrong with that, except no lasers, dinosaurs, robots, fireballs, wizards or candyfloss).

If you find a game with every single one of those elements, BUY THAT GAME.
Well, there's Smash Up...

For Robinson Crusoe, there's quite a few bonus scenarios available, IIRC, there's also one featuring dinosaurs. The game engine is really flexible, so you can create all kinds of different scenarios for it.
You may want to check out the forthcoming First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet for a Sci-Fi version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
What about games which add in a 'choose your own adventure' twist to it?

Tales of the Arabian Nights

The 7th Continent

Legends Untold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
davidbrit2 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

I think an "adventure game" is generally typified by roaming around some kind of map (abstract or otherwise), and dealing with encounter/event cards that are resolved completely indepentently of one another, and without the use of a tactical combat map. That's what I've noticed from how the term is applied.

I agree with this definition, particularly the absence of a tactical map. Descent and its ilk are fine games in their own right, but the gameplay is primarily tactical in nature. The story exists only to explain the reason for the combat (or other tactical goal.) It's scenario-driven. This type of game is what I would more commonly call a "dungeon crawler."

An adventure game, of the type the OP is talking about, is less about tactics, and more about strategy (if anything - some adventure games can be quite aimless indeed.) There is a goal, of course, which players may or may not be driving steadily towards, depending on the details of the game we're talking about. There is no "story" per se, except perhaps an introduction to set up the goal. The tale of the game is told in the series of events that transpire between start and finish. A lot of adventure games can be accurately described as "multiplayer solitaire," too.

Talisman, for example, is highly random. The goal is to be the first to reach the Crown of Command and defeat the other players (it's basically a fantasy version of King of the Hill,) but it's also very easy to get lost in the adventure of getting there and forget about the goal itself. How much the players are really trying to complete this goal can have a significant impact on how long the game takes to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is actually a very good point regarding the tactical map.

I think the amount of hack n slash may have an impact on the definition also?

Certainly I would regard non combat challenges as help building the Adventure experience. For example you draw a card it shows you a picture and narrative:

A water filled tunnel stretches before you - a broken guide roped lies in the water will you:

Swim through the tunnel (Risk reward, success will take time and leave you tired, failure will cause damage)

Try and grab the rope and wade along (success will take time but leave you less tired, failure takes time and causes damage)

Try and Mend the rope and pull yourself through (success lets you pass quickly, failure wastes time).

Now lets say the tunnel can flood to a really deep level if you linger too long in that area.

Finally lets say having a knowledge of Geology gives you a bonus in negotiating that tunnel because you are in a cave.

To me this is something which fits the Adventure category rather than the Dungeon Crawler category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OP, yes, they still get made:

Runebound (Third Edition)
Prophecy
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous – Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Mummy's Mask – Base Set
Relic (was discontinued just 2 weeks ago)
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) (was discontinued just 2 weeks ago)
Eldritch Horror
Arkham Horror
T.I.M.E Stories
Legends of Andor
Merchant of Venus (second edition) (the "regular" is definitely an adventure game)
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.