BattleCON: Trials of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Stand-alone or expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is because I'm dumb, or lazy (or most probable, both). But I can't seem to figure out if Trials is an expansion that adds elements to for example War, so that I as a newcomer to the battlecon series would need to back at $100 (BATTLECON STARTER), or if I can test the waters with a $40 pledge.

Advice appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dodenstass wrote:
Maybe it is because I'm dumb, or lazy (or most probable, both). But I can't seem to figure out if Trials is an expansion that adds elements to for example War, so that I as a newcomer to the battlecon series would need to back at $100 (BATTLECON STARTER), or if I can test the waters with a $40 pledge.

Advice appreciated

So far, each BattleCON release (War, Devastation, Fate, now Trials) has been completely self-contained. So short answer: You're good to go with Trials.

Longer answer: In fact, cross-set compatibility could become a (small-ish) issue, since they've introduced the Force Gauge system (with War Remastered, it's becoming standard), changed the starting positions (from 2 and 6 to 3 and 5), with Trials, they've changed one of the standard bases (Dash -> Dodge) and they might introduce a new keyword "Shift" with Trials. None of these is bad enough to make characters incompatible with one another, though (except, maybe, Eustace from the Fate set, who should really be played with Force Gauge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
dodenstass wrote:

Advice appreciated

So far, each BattleCON release (War, Devastation, Fate, now Trials) has been completely self-contained. So short answer: You're good to go with Trials.

Longer answer: In fact, cross-set compatibility could become a (small-ish) issue, since they've introduced the Force Gauge system (with War Remastered, it's becoming standard), changed the starting positions (from 2 and 6 to 3 and 5), with Trials, they've changed one of the standard bases (Dash -> Dodge) and they might introduce a new keyword "Shift" with Trials. None of these is bad enough to make characters incompatible with one another, though (except, maybe, Eustace from the Fate set, who should really be played with Force Gauge).

Thanks for the fast and thorough answer! If that is the case, I'll definitely settle for Trials only at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dodenstass wrote:
DomHiob wrote:
dodenstass wrote:

Advice appreciated

Thanks for the fast and thorough answer! If that is the case, I'll definitely settle for Trials only at the moment.

You're welcome! Also: Welcome to BattleCON! It's one wonderful game system. Also, just to be sure: Characters certainly are compatible across sets. I just wanted to point out that you will find minor additions in the newer rules-sets. All of them are implemented as variants, however, so the base game always remains the same. Except, as noted, Eustace, and for Trials the new base, which will probably change up gameplay more than anything else.

Edit: oh, also, if you really just want to put your toes in the water, you can always get the free print and play from the KS page and try it out. That way, you can try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.