Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
When moving Cargo or Crew to an enemy ship, do i have to pass unopposed or opposed Sensor test against the enemy Shields?

Th example below in the rules shows an unopposed test, so that would probably be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unopposed.

Here's an easy way to tell which type of systems test you need to do:

Unopposed: When the specific value to test against is given before the test begins. (IOW: Only the active player rolls a die to determine his test rating).
Opposed: When the specific value to test against is not given before the test begins. (IOW: Both players roll a die to determine their attacking/defending test ratings).

So in the case of transporting crew to an enemy ship, the rules on page 21 are clear that you must succeed at a Sensors test against a specific value.
That value is considered specific because it's pre-defined as being equal to the enemy ship's Shields rating. This test is done in accordance with the instructions on page 8.

And per page 8, note that the defender does NOT roll a die! Thusly the defender can not modify his Shields rating! Because the defender cannot modify his defensive rating (with a die roll, and can't play a card as its not his turn), is why it's unopposed.

You'll also note that per page 8, the defender can play a card to modify your Sensors rating. But this is not the same as I describe above where he can't play a card to modify his [defensive] rating.

Again, this is an unopposed test because the game pre-specifies the value you are testing against. If it was an OPPOSED test on the other hand, then the game would NOT specify the value. It would only specify the systems and then both opponents would have to play cards and roll dice to determine each of the test values, per the instructions on page 9.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, i disagree that you can recognize the Transport as unopposed the way you explain it. In a combat you test Weapons against Shields. Here you test Sensors against Shields. Combat is however opposed, this one is unopposed. And it is recognizable solely due to the example below the paragraph.
The rule book is vague in terms of wording, and horribly sorted in terms of structure. It is just bad, but when you really read it there and back few times you can find your answers (sometimes you need a solid amount of intuition). Thank you anyway

PS: i love how they they specified the Tractor beam mechanic in FAQ and not in the rule book. And yes, if there is a second edition, i strongly believe the rule book will be left intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

yeeshkul wrote:
In a combat you test Weapons against Shields. Here you test Sensors against Shields.

The big difference is that in combat, the opponent's Shields rating is not a pre-specified number. Whereas here, the opponent's shields rating IS a pre-specified number. That's the significant difference between an opposed and an unopposed system test. I try to explain with more reasoning below).

And it is recognizable as an unopposed test - not by the example you cite - but because page 21 also tells you that you must succeed at a Sensor Test. "So what?", you ask. If we look at page 7, we learn that a Sensor Test is a System Test, which the procedures for accomplishing are laid out on page 8.
(Important Note: When defining a "System Test" on page 8, it says: "Every test will have a Test Level that you must meet or beat in order to exceed."

Well, that's exactly what we have with the Transporter Action, isn't it? The Transporter rules on page 21 already provide the test level (= opponent's Shields rating). IOW, they tell us to perform a Sensors test while also providing the test level to beat. Page 7 tells us that a Sensor Test is a System test and also that every System Test will have a [given] test level to meet or beat. Thusly given these definitions, we know that this is a System Test and need to follow the instructions on page 8.

If instead the test level (for us to meet or beat) was not provided, then the rules on page 7 can't apply, can they? Thusly the only type of System Test that the rules present for when the test level is NOT provided, is the Unopposed System Test as discussed on page 9. In this case, page 9 is clear that both opponents follow the procedure illustrated there, to include rolling a die. So since both players have to roll a die in order to determine their systems ratings, the test level can't possibly be specified beforehand. And hence, the "System Test" rules on page 7 aren't applicable.

I hope this clarifies things a little more. But given my writing style when I'm pressed for time (answering BGG questions isn't my only gig ), maybe it only confuses things more! In that case, I hope someone else will jump in to clarify what I'm trying to say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.