BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New deck builder with conflict. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I already own Star Realms and all the expansions. I have been looking into Nightfall. Are there any other deck builders that have direct player conflict? Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands in the Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrants of the Underdark and BATTALIA: The Creation are both deck builders which also have a board where you can combat other players area-control-style. And Battalia currently has the expansion on KS as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Nightfall.

not only is it direct conflict, it has an interesting 'chaining' for playing cards that adds on interesting decision point on building your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Guantanamo wrote:
I really like Nightfall.

not only is it direct conflict, it has an interesting 'chaining' for playing cards that adds on interesting decision point on building your deck.

Is there enough in the base box without getting expansions to give it legs for a while?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
I really like Nightfall.

Is there enough in the base box without getting expansions to give it legs for a while?

For a little while. Considering it is OOP though if you like it you'll want to get what expansions you can while you can. Plus the expansions add in some of the more interesting mechanisms to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
fh13 wrote:
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
I really like Nightfall.

For a little while. Considering it is OOP though if you like it you'll want to get what expansions you can while you can. Plus the expansions add in some of the more interesting mechanisms to the game.

I could get the base set and Martial Law for $38.99 and that includes shipping. Would those be enough for a while?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Fenderbass124 wrote:
fh13 wrote:
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
I really like Nightfall.

I could get the base set and Martial Law for $38.99 and that includes shipping. Would those be enough for a while?

To be honest I don't recall the card counts off hand. Looking at the basic rule book though the base set has 24 draft cards (used to set up the game). Of those you have 8 that are used as common cards for everyone and each player gets 2 for their own use. So even w/ 4 players you are only using 2/3rds of the available cards per game. Martial Law adds more cards into the mix (again w/ the 8 and 2 count). What I don't think it does though, IIRC, is add any new mechanisms. I think it is the other sets that add in things like moons, avatars and different wound effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
gavin923 wrote:

Another good one that gives you a fun game in the base set but then optional expansions when you want to try something a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
emagius wrote:

Found a used copy for $20. Not sure if it's the third edition or not however the pics show it has the player mats and screens so if it isn't it at least look they got the upgrade pack. I might bite on this as the game looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age has scenarios with and without direct conflict, but the ones with direct conflict really shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Nightfall is the most in your face deck building game I've played. If you're worried about variety, you can get the game and most of the expansions (except for Eastern Skies, which is hard to find) for super cheap at Hill's Wholesale Gaming: http://wholesalegaming.com/boardgame/

You need to pay postage, but you'll still probably come out ahead.

There is an iOS app that you could try to see if you like it first.

Beyond Nightfall, Rune Age is quite good, as mentioned above. I would definitely recommend the expansion with it though, as it really needs the extra cards to fully shine. Arctic Scavengers was pretty good, but isn't nearly the level of conflict as Nightfall or Rune Age (where you're actually attacking each other).

If you're looking for games that use deckbuilding as a mechanic for conflict driven games, you could check out the aforementioned Hands in the Sea, or the games the system was based on: A Few Acres of Snow and Mythotopia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:

Do it!

Really fun deckbuilder. The chaining mechanic keeps everyone involved on every turn. And killing someone with a werewolf is just inherently more satisfying than buying your fifth province.

Those two sets will give you plenty of cards as well as two types of wound effects. Nightfall: The Coldest War will give you a third type, even more cards, plus a new set of starter cards that you can switch in or mix-and-match.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Tyrants of the Underdark and BATTALIA: The Creation are both deck builders which also have a board where you can combat other players area-control-style. And Battalia currently has the expansion on KS as well.

+1 Tyrants of he Underdark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Nightfall's designer is very supportive of the game.

David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb

is active here on BGG and keeps a comprehensive FAQ and card compendium:

http://nf.s3rvant.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Krieski
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I have to agree with Nightfall as well, most direct conflict of any DBG I have ever played, nothing like sending a hoard of minions to punch someone in the face. With even just a couple of the big box expansions that will give you immense variety, we still pull draft cards we have never played with before. I got lucky and my FLGS happened to have a clearance sale on the core game and several sets for 15 bucks each, best purchase I have ever made. Although make sure your group doesnt get easily mad at each other, this game can cause some hard feelings at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Fenderbass124 wrote:
emagius wrote:

Found a used copy for $20. Not sure if it's the third edition or not however the pics show it has the player mats and screens so if it isn't it at least look they got the upgrade pack. I might bite on this as the game looks fun.

If it says "Third edition" on the pink box right below "Bag of Chips", then it is Third Edition. If it says nothing below "Bag of Chips" then it is 2nd edition (which is still well worth playing with the upgrade pack included)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I might go with Nightfall base game and Martial Law to start. I don't want the game to get too complex with new mechanics only because right now I'd only be playing with my 11 year old nephew really. Are there any other expansions that don't add a whole lot of new stuff or complexity to the game besides Martial Law?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
Fenderbass124 wrote:
emagius wrote:

If it says "Third edition" on the pink box right below "Bag of Chips", then it is Third Edition. If it says nothing below "Bag of Chips" then it is 2nd edition (which is still well worth playing with the upgrade pack included)

I read second edition even with the upgrade pack is still kind of unbalanced. For $20 used you think it's still worth the purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Old gold: Scarab Lords. Very underrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball Highlights: 2045
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Crown (Second edition), for two players.
And For the Crown Variant: All the King's Men, an expansion which allows for two teams of two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.