Subject: Ideas for IA Companion app rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Assuming this thing actually happens, I feel like there's a lot of potential beyond just cloning Road to Legend. With the help of an app I think it's possible change the underlying structure of a campaign rather than just creating new missions and automating the empire.

Procedurally generated maps - it's possible to randomize maps with existing tiles. This would be cool and crucial if you want to make...

Challenge campaign - this could make IA into a more XCom like experience. The goal is to assault a very hard mission with heavy defenses, and take on side missions to help you do it. Instead of dealing out 2 sides and a main mission, you'll have all the missions you can take on arrayed in front of you and it'll be the players' choice which they want to take on. Still you'll have a finite number of missions you can complete before needing to assault the big bad, but each smaller mission gains your characters xp, credits, items from crates can be carried over, and intel that can reveal things about the final mission that will help: like spawn points, parts of a map layout, and identity of closed groups or final boss villains. It would also be cool to include permadeath for characters and carryover penalties for wounded heroes (have to sit out a mission if you get wounded.) This would keep rebel players thinking about the health and makeup of their entire team &a the need to level up more than one hero to keep the squad effective.

Anyway, feels like there's a lot of potential thinking outside the box with such a great & deep game system like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would not hold my breath for the App. Rumor has it EA holds all the rights to digital Star Wars content, meaning FFG has to sort this first before they can release anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Assuming this thing actually happens"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Also, something like a challenge campaign would actually be more likely to be approved since it wouldn't be new narrative content, which would need review and approval by Disney. The app itself should be well within the bounds of their license as long as it's an appendage of the board game like the SW dice app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23427503#23427503

Deano2099 wrote:
The problem with a "full" AI is that to make effective decisions it needs full knowledge of the game state, which means whichever side the players are on, you need to enter every move and action into the app. And then the app tells you every move the other side makes.

Does that sound familiar? It sounds like IA the video game to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
You don't need that tho. The idea would be to use algorithms (or whatever the magic math is called) to delineate level of mission challenge: easy missions put you up against like 15 deployment points worth of enemies with 2 threat per turn, medium is 30 points & 3 threat, hard = 40 points & 4 threat (or whatever balances well). Within the missions themselves you can just do the RTL style inputs.

The idea is to use the app to track the meta game of the campaign (items, xp, missions completed, doomsday timer, etc. like the global map in Xcom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And how the game controls all the Imperial moves and attacks in an efficient manner?

Or are you suggesting that Imperial figures act as mere dummies put in the Rebels' way to make their journey slightly more colourful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So you haven't looked into Road to Legend I'm guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The app doesn't track the locations of figures at every moment. It shows you the locations that enemies spawn, what types of enemies spawn and sets parameters for how those groups behave. For instance, the app tells you that a group of stormtroopers will advance toward the nearest hero and fire. But next time it could tell you the group of stormtroopers hangs back near the objective and collects focuses or something before going aggro again on the next turn. The players act these motions out on the board.

It's not AI, it's more like automating a deck of cards. It's definitely "dumber" than a video game but the fun is that it conceals what enemies show up and how they behave from the players. It's more about fielding an array of changing obstacles for the players to work together to overcome rather than fully automating an opponent. Full co-op miniature games like Myth have systems like this. IA is very light on strategic movement. It's more a game of probability and action management. Perfect for a system like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"IA is very light on strategic movement"

Quite on the contrary, where and when to move is a key aspect of any competent Imperial strategy.

As i feared, what you are suggesting is using Imperial figures as dummies to be put in the Rebels way. That might be enjoyable to some, but it definitely has very little to do with IA as we know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
What I am proposing has already been proposed and developed for Descent and people very much enjoy it soooooo yeah not sure what we're arguing about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm arguing is that Descent and IA are quite different games. So, what it might work for one might not work at all for the other.

What you are proposing would be a completely new game mode that would have very little to do with the campaign and skirmish modes of the original IA game.

IMHO, such a big departure from the original game would not be welcome by many IA players. Though, of course, I might be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
From what I've been told, automating the imperial side is the whole idea of the app. Actually, it's already been done by RedJak. Also, isn't IA pretty much just a rebrand of Descent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
And yeah I'm aware that it's a very different game mode, but that's the point. So that there's more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shplay wrote:
Also, isn't IA pretty much just a rebrand of Descent?

Not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shplay wrote:
And yeah I'm aware that it's a very different game mode, but that's the point. So that there's more variety.

IA is already quite deep and diverse.

In any case, variety for the sake of variety is not always a good idea. You risk alienating your older users and not attracting new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
okay, great talking to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
What I'm arguing is that Descent and IA are quite different games. So, what it might work for one might not work at all for the other.

What you are proposing would be a completely new game mode that would have very little to do with the campaign and skirmish modes of the original IA game.

IMHO, such a big departure from the original game would not be welcome by many IA players. Though, of course, I might be wrong.

Yes, Imperial Assault made several notable departures from Descent 2E. They are different enough that you can certainly prefer the mechanisms of one over the other (setting aside which theme you may prefer). That notwithstanding, the overlap and similarities in the two games is remarkable.

As soon as Road to Legend was announced people clamored for a similar app in Imperial Assault. During the Gen-Con in-flight report, FFG acknowledged they had been asked "when is Road to Legend coming to IA" a lot. At no point has anyone seriously posited "why would they, they are completely different games?"

If you are arguing that an app would make significant changes to the core gameplay in both Descent and IA, and you are not sure you would enjoy the new app-supported gameplay in either game, fair enough. But, if your premise is that an app that has already proven to be very popular in Descent simply would not work in IA because they are so different, that seems like arguing just for the sake of arguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carolina_bryan wrote:
arguing just for the sake of arguing.

and thus the internet was born
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carolina_bryan wrote:
But, if your premise is that an app that has already proven to be very popular in Descent simply would not work in IA because they are so different, that seems like arguing just for the sake of arguing.

You simply need to re-read what I wrote and avoid misinterpretations. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Descent this past weekend specifically because of the app, and because my group wants something to play while we wait for the IA app. The app will move the game from "lets play something else and open the two unplayed expansions later" to "Imperial Assault tonight. And every night!" for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So obviously our Spanish friend wouldn't buy it but anyone else think a non linear randomized co op campaign with permadeath would be a cool feature to use on the app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivans Ivanovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really really hope that there will be an app (like Mansion of Madness or Road to Legend) that will allow to play existing SW:IA campaigns cooperatively without the overlord/imperial commander. It could track the imp force placement, could randomly pick the IA commander pack/traits and so on!

Alternatively, it could allow to play solo against npc controlled rebel heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
carolina_bryan wrote:
But, if your premise is that an app that has already proven to be very popular in Descent simply would not work in IA because they are so different, that seems like arguing just for the sake of arguing.

You simply need to re-read what I wrote and avoid misinterpretations. cool

No need to re-read, you are simply coming off whiney. Maybe you need to rethink your stance or how you are (or aren't) articulating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
harzal wrote:
"IA is very light on strategic movement"

Quite on the contrary, where and when to move is a key aspect of any competent Imperial strategy.

As i feared, what you are suggesting is using Imperial figures as dummies to be put in the Rebels way. That might be enjoyable to some, but it definitely has very little to do with IA as we know it.

The thing with RTL for Descent is you can game the app, and move the monsters within the restraints you're given to the most convenient positions for you. Or you can move them how an Overlord would move them.

(And in a campaign, Imperial figures are often used as dummies to be put in the Rebels' way anyway - in any mission where the Imperial player wins after a number of rounds that's exactly how they win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.