Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

thanks in advance for any tips.

We are running a convention in June 2017 and have plans to put a table or two in an area of the room/hall with a scheduled list of games that will be taught by one person or another over the Saturday and Sunday.

What games would you suggest for something like this?

The attendees will be a normal mix of veteran gamers, fresh faces and uninitiated new-comers. Expecting 80-100 people to come.

Our thoughts were to try out a more common list of gateways like Catan, Ticket to Ride, Code names, Stone Age, King of Tokyo, (maybe Power Grid) things like that.

Nothing is set in stone so I'm happy for ideas on how to run it, and not just a list of games you think should be added to the schedule.

Other thoughts I've had, which you might like to comment on:
- Should we stick to games with a higher player counts (minimum 4)?
- Should we specifically mention the length and difficulty of a game?

Have a nice day everyone

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, great idea on the gateway games. I'm not sure you could describe the difficulty in a way that non-gamers (what is a medium weight game... Marvel Legendary w/ all the expansions?).

I would plan for all types of games to be shown, that way if you need a larger count game, you'll have that ready.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would approach it differently.

I would nail down who will be running when. (Make sure they aren't going to bail on yoh)

Then get them to tell you thier favorite games. You want dependable people, but you alsk want people running games they are excited about running. It will be a better experience for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and to answer your questions. I think you should have a mix of games, player count and complexity to match the expected attendance. You don't want just gateway games if a majority of your expected attendance are people that have played games before or the converse.

Just have a schedule well in advance with z little write on in each game. Make sure you have extra time between games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.