Subject: How does the dragon kill the knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2-player game with my wife last night, I was the dragon and she was the knight. According to the rulebook, as the dragon, my victory condition was to either wake up & escape the cave or kill the knight. I see that some of my attacks make her lose grit or move her, but I didn't see any that actually did damage to her health. How do I fulfill this victory condition of killing the knight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dragon cannot kill the Knight, and has no victory conditions requiring it to do so. The only victory condition the Dragon has is to wake up, surface, and escape the Cave.

The Goblins win by killing the Knight (if there is a Knight player - they have alternate victory conditions if there is no Knight). They do this by attacking her until her health is reduced to 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook, pg 15:

KNIGHT VS. DRAGON
- The Dragon wins if he wakes up and escapes the cave, or if he kills the Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's weird; nowhere else does the rulebook indicate that the Dragon has to defeat the Knight. Let me try summoning Patrick to this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
One of the variants (goblin infestation?) without goblins adds ambushes that can injure the knight. It's unlikely, but if the knight dies to this then the dragon also wins since they are now unopposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goateh wrote:
One of the variants without goblins adds ambushes that can injure the knight. It's unlikely, but if the knight dies to this then the dragon also wins since they are now unopposed.

Not necessarily... the Dragon still needs to escape the Cave which can collapse on him before he has a chance to awaken and surface and escape. Also, if the Knight dies by Goblin ambushes, then this is not the Dragon killing the Knight. I spent some time checking over and over my Dragon's abilities to see how I could accomplish this goal and came up empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is poor, but the intent is to mean "if the Knight dies". There is no normal way for the Dragon to injure the Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This wording is there precisely to cover the situation described. If the Knight dies from Ambushes the Dragon just wins. If you want to play out the Dragon escaping anyway I'm not going to stop you.

The Dragon cannot hurt the Knight's Health though all he can do is lower Grit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
This wording is there precisely to cover the situation described. If the Knight dies from Ambushes the Dragon just wins.

The wording, "or if he kills the Knight", is wrong. The dragon cannot kill the knight, and that wording is not "or if the knight dies".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it looks like it is just incorrectly worded in the rules then. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.