Popular Tags: minis [+] [View All]
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the nice people who pointed me toward "dipping" in my earlier thread. There I was asking about 40K minis, and in the examples I've seen, people have done dipping down to 15mm minis. I haven't seen it used for smaller minis, such as 6mm / 1:300 / 1:365 -scale troops and vehicles.

Can anyone point me toward pictures or technique pages specifically for things at this size? Does dipping work on the teeny figs?

I'm planning on getting my epic minis in order, and if I can slap some basic color blocks on them and then go to town with satin wood finish, that'd be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, I do happen to "dip" in these 'scales' that you've mentioned for metal and even softer plastic materials. Another thing I like to do is replace "gun barrels" or other thin parts with something stiffer and more durable, such as steel 'pins' or hard plastic. You will have to affix these into place with either "epoxy" or "super glue", of which I prefer the 'gel' kind for the latter. At least 2 good coatings ought to do the trick and considering that a "base coating" with a 'primer' would then be omitted, this should help any paint adhere much better without losing too much of any details. Depending on the compositions for whatever, then I'll either "glue" a handle or stick a 'pin' into these to aid for it all too. It then allows you to "spin around" these to accelerate the process of removing excess coatings, and provides a means to have that held someplace without affecting this as well, during the drying time required. I hope that this assists you better for anything that you wish to try with the methods described.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do shading on small scale figures. I think they're too small for such subtlety. If you paint them in simple block style, I think they'll look fine from a distance. Also, I believe in painting small figures in slightly brighter colors than is really realistic. Because the figures are so small, I think that there's a need for the colors to be brighter than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't dip, but I use "Magic Wash" (Future floor wax, water, and black ink in a 5:5:2 ratio) on 10mm figures and it really helps bring out the details. I just use a #4 brush and cover the whole mini- the wash settles into the crevices the same way the dip does, and the Future in the mix provides a protective, if glossy, top coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.