Subject: How can I, as a Dragon, best avoid the Knight (and her bombs?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a Knight vs Dragon 2-player game (I was the Dragon). As we played, I felt like I had a very hard time staying away from the Knight. The Knight was able to obtain the Heroic Boots early on, giving her an additional +4 movement for 1 cube. I spent a lot of wings just trying to move to the opposite side of the board to avoid her but with her magic map and boots, she was usually able to come right up to me and lob another bomb down into my lair. I tried a few of my abilities against her such as "Scratch" to make her lose 5 Grit (which she was able to easily make back up again through her Sidequests), or "Slap" to move her 3 tiles away, but using these abilities would keep her within bomb-dropping distance causing me to lose another health.

My question then is, what strategy should I employ as a Dragon against a Knight? The bomb ability is quite powerful when, with her boots and map, she can quickly get to my position and lob another bomb... it only takes 5 bombs and I am dead. Is there a way for the Dragon to regain some health or actually hurt the Knight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to use Flame to expand the map faster than you would normally in a 4 player game (as fast expansion helps the Cave). By hitting tiles beyond dark tiles you can place the walls in a way that its hard to get to and you will get to place more dark tiles. Another flame will let you expand that edge even further. Once the map is large enough you can zip move back and forth in safety.

It is for sure a race though between your wakefulness and your health gauge. Without anyone else to foil the Knight she is going to be able to come for you every turn.

The book are pretty powerful. IF she gets it early it can be trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
My question then is, what strategy should I employ as a Dragon against a Knight? The bomb ability is quite powerful when, with her boots and map, she can quickly get to my position and lob another bomb... it only takes 5 bombs and I am dead. Is there a way for the Dragon to regain some health or actually hurt the Knight?

Were you following the Strength rules? The Knight still needs Strength >= Armor to use bomb to injure Dragon...the bomb simply requires the Knight to use an extra cube to attack the Dragon (1 for an Encounter, plus 1 for the bomb).

Also, the Dragon ignores walls, while the Knight doesn't (and has to use a cube to get through them). The Knight also can't move on Dark tiles (and has to use an Encounter to explore them), while the Dragon can. Use your turn to build some depth in Dark cubes. One Dragon strategy is using movement + a few Wings to move 4-6 tiles each turn to zig-zag across the map and hiding between Dark tiles.

The boots definitely help the Knight not have to use cubes for movement, but walls / Dark tiles / Flame Wall will slow the Knight down and help negate it.

If you put a wall and Dark tile between you and the Knight, the Knight needs at minimum 4 cubes to attack you...1 on Ancient Map to bypass wall, the free Encounter to explore 1st dark tile, 1 cue to increase Strength (assuming Dragon Armor is 2), 1 to use bomb (to allow attack on Dragon), and 1 to actually attack Dragon. Since Knight Strenght = Dragon Armor, they'd need to roll the Dragon die to see if the attack even hits (50-50 chance). If they didn't have the Boots, they'd need a 5th cube on Movement to let them have that second move. If the Dragon has 3 Armor, the Knight would have to have 3 Strength to even attack (so now we're at 6 cubes).

Swat can be useful, but when the Knight has boots, don't just Swat and sit there. Swat them away, then run the other direction. When placing treasures, place them across the map to where you'll be headed next turn. If the Knight heads after them, stay where you are (or head the opposite direction)...if she doesn't, you'll have a nice treasure waiting for you during your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good ideas! I will try them out next time. We actually thought that the bomb WAS the attack. Drop a bomb and boom... instant hit. That makes it very hard for the Dragon. However, we were also playing that the Knight had to use up an encounter to fight Goblins EVERY time she entered an ambush tile, even if it was previously revealed. So perhaps it was a wash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An ambush only triggers if the Knight reveals a dark tile and it has the ambush icon on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I found that out after we played so that's why I said it was probably a wash for her because while she was experiencing this disadvantage, she was experiencing the advantage of dropping bombs on me without upping her strength (I thought the bomb was the attack - instant hit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the game's got a bit of a learning curve to it. But after a few plays it got pretty easy to remember all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Slap work? Does the knight get slapped through walls? If not, with a twisty passage does he get knocked back around a corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
How does Slap work? Does the knight get slapped through walls? If not, with a twisty passage does he get knocked back around a corner?

The Knight is moved 3 tiles per normal restrictions (can't move through walls or onto Dark tiles). The wording is a bit incorrect, since the intent is to move her 3 spaces total (not to any tile 3 spaces away, regardless of path required). She can be affected even if there is a wall between her and the Dragon, and she can be moved around corners. Other player tokens block movement as well (she can't be Slapped onto/through a tile with the Goblins, for instance).
Additionally, per in-progress rules updates, she must stop if moved onto a tile with an Event Token (and spend an Encounter next turn to resolve it). Treasures, crystals, gems, and vaults do not block movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
She can be knocked around but not through walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.