Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gorechosen» Forums » General

Subject: A Little Unboxing (Picture Heavy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rushed down to the local store today to get my copy of Gorechosen. It'll be a while before I review it, but wanted to put up a few pictures to show off a few interesting things (sorry about my shonky camerawork).

As we all know, the game comes with an insert. It's pretty clever, with two of the card wells holding the four individual hero sprues safely, and four figure wells for once the heroes are assembled.

The large format character cards are shrinkwrapped with a card backing for extra protection.

The board is actually a mounted board (paper wrapped around board) rather than the tiles we have seen in other GW games, and it's double-sided.

The artwork is phenomenal, with some really fantastic stylised images inside the rules book.

The four characters printed inside the rules book (which do not come with miniatures) are the bloodstoker and bloodsecrator from the Age of Sigmar box (boo!), the slaughterpriest they gave away with White Dwarf, and the exalted deathbringer with impaling spear. I expect to see a hero pack at some point, making it possible to get the Age of Sigmar characters without actually buying Age of Sigmar. All eight Gorechosen characters are included in the forthcoming Silver Tower hero card pack (and on the app).

The assembly instructions are in full-colour, with highlight sections to show how the models fit together, making it easier for anyone new to this sort of thing.

Everything was shrinkwrapped individually, included rules and punchboards. Combined with the insert, that means nothing was damaged.

Cards are in three sizes, all non-standard: 7.5cm x 5.5cm, 9cm x 6.5cm, and 15cm x 11cm (approximately).

Box is the same size as Lost Patrol, and has a complexity rating on the reverse (1 of 3, same as Lost Patrol), making these two products feel like the start of a range of entry-level games that is going to continue expanding.

Anyway, pictures...








24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks for the picture...

tells us if you like the game...

Question:

there are 4 more character described in the book? without cards... right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelfencing wrote:
thanks for the picture...

tells us if you like the game...

Question:

there are 4 more character described in the book? without cards... right?


Will do. I tend to get my reviews out relatively quickly for GW products, but I am finishing off a review for Lost Patrol first.

This game is good fun, but I want to spend a bit more time with it before making any definitive statements! I will say it's hilarious (the fluff text and the whole concept), and it's pretty light with still some space for tactical thinking. Games can be brutally short (especially in two player).

As for the extra characters - yes. You get four characters in the box (with miniatures and cards), with rules for an additional four (printed in the book only).

The last picture in my OP shows the double page spread from the rulebook with the rules for the four additional characters. The miniatures are available in different ways: One of them came free with White Dwarf in September, and is also available as an individual clam pack. The other three are available through the Age of Sigmar box or as individual clam packs. I am hoping they release a hero pack for them at some point, as all of them work in Silver Tower as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the hero characters in the AoS box are supposed to be exclusive to that box and not made available elsewhere. It's one of the sales pitch points of the box set.


The box is a very good deal, and the game is quite good, btw.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
As far as I know, the hero characters in the AoS box are supposed to be exclusive to that box and not made available elsewhere. It's one of the sales pitch points of the box set.


The box is a very good deal, and the game is quite good, btw.


AoS is a really good deal, especially in the UK; and I've got a copy of the rules which I think look pretty good. I'm one of those people with no hate towards AoS at all. I'm just not interested in getting into another tabletop game right now. I tend to prefer skirmish level games. I may try it in the future.

However, I still predict the hero box set for Gorechosen. GW often call things exclusive (like the content in the last White Dwarf magazine), but they really only means exclusive for now.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
As far as I know, the hero characters in the AoS box are supposed to be exclusive to that box and not made available elsewhere. It's one of the sales pitch points of the box set.


The box is a very good deal, and the game is quite good, btw.


AoS is a really good deal, especially in the UK; and I've got a copy of the rules which I think look pretty good. I'm one of those people with no hate towards AoS at all. I'm just not interested in getting into another tabletop game right now. I tend to prefer skirmish level games. I may try it in the future.

However, I still predict the hero box set for Gorechosen. GW often call things exclusive (like the content in the last White Dwarf magazine), but they really only means exclusive for now.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.


I would totally buy another copy of the game if it had a new board and the other 4 Khorne heroes in it. But, I am sure such a release is less likely than them doing a hero box with appropriate game components for multiple games.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:


The box is a very good deal, and the game is quite good, btw.


Erg. Just realised there are five heroes in the Age of Sigmar set that work with Silver Tower (two of which work with Gorechosen too). I can get AoS for £60... It's starting to look tempting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!

The game is skirmish also.....


The new Nickstarter for the new Frost Grave book and barbarian plastic soldier box starts today too. Arrgh.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Ha!

The game is skirmish also.....


I know you can play smaller games, but at the moment I am limiting myself to skirmish games like Marvel Heroes and Anima Tactics - usually 3-4 models per side. No units.

I'm just not finding any time to paint at the moment, so I try to keep my projects smaller.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I view any game where a single model represents one man, as a skirmish game.


But that's mostly because of my giant Featherstone and Grant Seven Years Wars armies. (Where one model represents 10 or 20 men, and a single cannon is a battery of guns.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Honestly, I view any game where a single model represents one man, as a skirmish game.


But that's mostly because of my giant Featherstone and Grant Seven Years Wars armies. (Where one model represents 10 or 20 men, and a single cannon is a battery of guns.)


I see your point, but yeah; I tend to think if there are units and/or more than 10 models or so, it's beyond skirmish-level. The Batman game is skirmish-level, but I consider the bigger games of that as getting towards the top-end of the definition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Haskell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, I think of 3 categories of miniature games; Skirmish (Carnevale, Frostgrave, Anima Tactics, Norsgard). Squad Battles (Age of Sigmar, Gates of Antares, Darkage, Wrath of Kings). Mass Battle (WFB, KoW, 40K, F&S).

Back to Gorechosen, played a two player game and am surprised how well it works with just 2 (though can imagine it be much better with 4).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cherrystone wrote:
Agree, I think of 3 categories of miniature games; Skirmish (Carnevale, Frostgrave, Anima Tactics, Norsgard). Squad Battles (Age of Sigmar, Gates of Antares, Darkage, Wrath of Kings). Mass Battle (WFB, KoW, 40K, F&S).

Back to Gorechosen, played a two player game and am surprised how well it works with just 2 (though can imagine it be much better with 4).


It's certainly not a bad game with two. I've had a blast with it. But I think with more players you get more opportunities for taking advantage of the moment, and there's more movement as everybody shuffles for the best positions.

You need eyes in the back of your head, or you end up in situations where someone crouches down behind you next to a pit while someone else gives you a gentle shove.

It's just really good fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
how big are the hexes (parallel side to parallel side)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Spaceman wrote:
how big are the hexes (parallel side to parallel side)?


4cm across. A Gorechosen on a 40mm base fits perfectly inside.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks delicious! devil

I'm surprised the insert even has spaces for the sprues along with the assembled minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.