Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moving to quest card 3 of Dol Guldur, I don't need the three OBJECTIVE items anymore to meet the requirements for victory. Can I voluntarily drop the attachments now? They hurt me and keeping them seems like an unnecessary setback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noooooooooo..... the game wants you to suffer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. Can you reference the rules on where it states that you cannot discard an attachment? The core set rulebook is silent on the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't seem to be anything specifically stating whether or not you can do this out of free choice in the rules or FAQ.

However, on page 9 under attachments... it says if a card to which an attachment is attached leave play, the attachment is discarded.

Additionally, those 3 Dol Guldur objectives are Restricted if I remember right. Meaning if you had another Restricted attachment as well as one of these on a hero of yours, you could choose to play a 3rd Restricted attachment to force the objective out

But, in general, I think cards in CCG's or LCG's (regardless of type) remains in play unless destroyed or removed somehow via a card effect of some sort...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe you can voluntarily discard anything.
Case in point, in a 4p game last week, I wanted to have the Glorfindel Ally in the discard pile but I couldn't find a way to do so.

Typically in the game, you need some game text to do something beyond what the rules let you do.

Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No you cannot, as some attachments are a bane and not a boon to your character. The rules silence on them means there is no way to voluntarily do so. But if the card they are attached to leaves play (even to go back into hand) you can get rid of them then. And if in your hand, replay later without the attachment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Additionally, those 3 Dol Guldur objectives are Restricted if I remember right. Meaning if you had another Restricted attachment as well as one of these on a hero of yours, you could choose to play a 3rd Restricted attachment to force the objective out

Is that right? I can't find that in the rules. I thought that if you had two restricted attachments already you just can not attach a third, I wasn't aware of any voluntary discard in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anemone1777 wrote:
tonksey wrote:

Is that right? I can't find that in the rules. I thought that if you had two restricted attachments already you just can not attach a third, I wasn't aware of any voluntary discard in that case.

core rulebook, pg.24 wrote:
Some attachments have the restricted keyword. A character can never have more than two attachments with the restricted keyword attached. If a third restricted attachment is ever attached to a character, one of the restricted attachments must immediately be moved to its owner’s discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One person above mentioned his desire to optionally discard an ally from play also. I think the situation is similar.

For myself, I think that if the rules don't prohibit it, why couldn't you "dismiss"/discard an ally or attachment? It seems thematically appropriate to do so.

Maybe for nightmare mode you'd always choose for the hardest possible option when faced with uncertainty. For me, an easy mode kind of guy, the game is hard enough without punishing myself even more. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you want to do that go ahead. Could you sleep easily at night knowing that you 'bent' the rules a bit though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:
One person above mentioned his desire to optionally discard an ally from play also. I think the situation is similar.

For myself, I think that if the rules don't prohibit it, why couldn't you "dismiss"/discard an ally or attachment? It seems thematically appropriate to do so.

Maybe for nightmare mode you'd always choose for the hardest possible option when faced with uncertainty. For me, an easy mode kind of guy, the game is hard enough without punishing myself even more. Lol.

It's your game You're always welcome to play by whatever rules you'd like.

I sometimes take a third mulligan when I know my hand is shitty and I don't want to waste an hour playing it out.

As others have mentioned though, holding onto things you don't want is usually a negative (you've put two restricted things on someone and want a better one? Too bad. Game gave you a nasty attachment? too bad). The game doesn't specify the rules here because it's not an option they want to give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:

Hmm, that's reminiscent of the age old "argument from silence."

There are a lot of things the rulebook doesn't prohibit. For instance, nowhere in the rulebook does it forbid you from biting your finger off, then packing up the entire box and throwing it into your fireplace. That, too, would be thematically appropriate.

That said, make it a house rule, and discard your attachments. Unless you're going to play professionally, it's your game experience to tweak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:

As others have said, you can do whatever you want in a noncompetitive game, but the rules are the rules for a reason, particularly as there are cards later in the card pool where you could significantly abuse the ability to discard things on a whim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Points all taken, gentlemen. While I believe that you're probably right that you may not be allowed to drop an attachment , it seems unreasonable to me THEMATICALLY that a hero wouldn't drop the frikin' map and key and run like heck once he got out of the mines!

I'm not playing competitively. I'm playing for fun. So for me, this will do.

But I agree that you're probably all correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.