Hide
6 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Impressions after my practice game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bray
msg tools
In short, I love it! It's dripping with theme, the components are wonderful (loving the card backs especially for some reason) and it feels mechanically solid.

Look out though, it can be pretty merciless! After my first characters first turn they drew anew Evil Stirs card, placing a second Shoggoth and awakening an Old One. Both Shoggoths spawned one space away from their nearest open gate, and guess what, both summoning cards had the Shoggoth Movement symbol resulting in two more awakingings happening. Then as the summing deck was reshuffled, another Old One awoke on my second characters first turn as they placed a 4th cultist on a space.

So, fun game, beware the baleful gaze of Luckthulhu, God of the Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! And yeah, the art on the card backs is just so neat to look at, the whole package is great. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb
France
Bordeaux
-
flag msg tools
mb
Great game indeed, my favorite in the last few years. Simple, fast and always challenging!

That being said, you might have misread a rule: a Shoggoth goes through a portal if it has to move and is already on a portal (not in the turn when it reaches the portal but on the next move).

Should make your life slightly easier ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
twitten wrote:
That being said, you might have misread a rule: a Shoggoth goes through a portal if it has to move and is already on a portal (not in the turn when it reaches the portal but on the next move).

It sounded like the OP played it right. The Shoggoths each appeared one away from the portal, so with 2 summoning cards both advancing Shoggoths, they would both trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bray
msg tools
Yeah, due to their positions the first summoning card put them both onto their nearest portal, the second pushed them through. Still, had a great time and there's something fun about knowing that silly stuff like that can happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that they only move in the summoning phase, so if a shoggoth placement card from Evil Stirs is drawn in the player draw phase and shows a shoggoth symbol it won't move them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.