14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: How is the german version of Scythe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I found out about this great game a few days ago and found out about the preorders for Essen 2016. Theres also a german version for preorder. But I don't know if its a good choice to pick the german one up (localization, expansions etc.). Maybe someone could help me in this matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you specify what your criteria for a "good choice" are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How is the german version of Scythe?

Well, it's like the original version of Scythe, only that the english text on the cards, rules and box is replaced with German text.
What did you expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Quote:
How is the german version of Scythe?

Well, it's like the original version of Scythe, only that the english text on the cards, rules and box is replaced with German text.
What did you expect?

There are plenty of games that have a different look depending on the country of printing (Mysterium and Castles of Mad King Ludwig come to mind).

I don't think it is an unreasonable question if someone is new to the game (Hell he even shows up as a new user!!). To jump all over new people for asking a simple question is a little uncalled for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
To jump all over new people for asking a simple question is a little uncalled for.

Didn´t realize I was "jumping all over" him.
The question felt very unspecific, and I wasn´t sure what he was aiming at with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, sometimes localized versions of games feature different art or mechanisms. That is not the case with Scythe. It is exactly the same in every way as the original English retail version, except that it's in German.

The first expansion for Scythe, Invaders from Afar, will be released in English in November. Currently that is the only version, but we hope to make a German version in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Buch
Germany
Osburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes choosing the german version is also a bad choice, so I absolutely understand your question. For example Schwerkraft promised to publish Among the Stars expansions in German and never did so far. As a result one need to wait and wait and wait to get the full experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
I can't believe no one of you has ever encountered bad localization in novels, movies, videogames, etc.? That goes the same way for boardgames. Just to name a few problems:

- words are translated differently throughout the game (pretty bad for references (traits etc.))
- localized versions / addons of a game often release a year+ later (or never)
- its not that uncommon to end up with a localized base game, yet none of the following expansions are localized. so you end up with a mixed game
- sometimes you cant even shuffle localized base game + expansions together, because of differenz colored cards, translated wording on the cards back, etc.
- worse quality components compared to the original version
- missing game components
- and so on

@Jamey Stegmaier

thank you very much for that clarification. I probably have to get the english version then, thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirMaoh wrote:

- words are translated differently throughout the game (pretty bad for references (traits etc.))

You can have a look at the rulebook at Jamey's webpage. I think the rulebook you can download there is also the official translation.

SirMaoh wrote:

- localized versions / addons of a game often release a year+ later (or never)
- its not that uncommon to end up with a localized base game, yet none of the following expansions are localized. so you end up with a mixed game

Maybe, although the (first) expansion add no new cards, only to factions with nearly nothing to translate (only a few words for each ability).

SirMaoh wrote:

- sometimes you cant even shuffle localized base game + expansions together, because of differenz colored cards, translated wording on the cards back, etc.
- worse quality components compared to the original version
- missing game components
- and so on

This should be the same, I think it will be printed in the same factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirMaoh: Based on what you said here, you really could get the German version. It's the exact same thing--not just is it the same art and rules, but it's made at the same factory at the same time as the English version. There are no card in the expansion that you'd shuffle into German cards.

I want you to get what's right for you, but for the right reasons. In the case of Scythe, there is no reason that someone wouldn't get the localized version if that's their preferred language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
sorry for the late reply.

I really would like to get the german version but you said it yourself, the first expansion will only be released in english for now. a german one COULD follow later in 2017.

since theres no guarantee for that release i'll get the english core game to make sure I can use future content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SirMaoh wrote:
sorry for the late reply.

I really would like to get the german version but you said it yourself, the first expansion will only be released in english for now. a german one COULD follow later in 2017.

since theres no guarantee for that release i'll get the english core game to make sure I can use future content

I also think you should consider getting the German version.
As it stands, the pieces of the expansion that really have text on them should be minimal (basically only the 2 facion mats and the printed rules, although you can already get the German rules online and print them if you want to), and since the components are exactly alike otherwise, unless you want 100% consistency, there's no reason to get the English version.

Here's a link to the Expansion Info:
http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/scythe-invaders-from...

As a Kickstarter backer, I kind of had to take the English version to get a Collector's Edition with amazing components (and the game a few months earlier), otherwise I would have waited for the German version, since it is always nicer to play in your mother tongue (and there might be people I play with that don't speak English at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SirMaoh S.
msg tools
will the game and the expansion(s) be sold in retail then? I haven't seen Scythe anywhere yet.
If I would buy the german core game I would have to wait for the german expansion. Maybe it will be released a while later, maybe not. For the case it won't be released I probably won't get an english expansion either, because it will be sold out then (or I have to pay 100$+ for it on ebay).
As much as I like to get the german version, I don't want to be dissapointed by this. And to be honest, I don't like mixing content with different localizations either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Scythe's retail release was in early August. It quickly sold out, but more copies are arriving worldwide next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.