12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Saving Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Hello!

So in prototyping my first board game I'm trying to work out a way to save progress smartly and consistently between games (as the game is theoretically endless). I've considered dry/wet erase markers but they seem to smudge or wipe away too easily. Don't really want to use a PC and ideally I'd like the game art to be consistent to.

A thought I had was to make a custom made sheet with pockets that could open and close for the inventory, character, bank etc that'd my idea so far but any other thoughts would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinder Adventure Card series simply uses really well designed inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Geosphere wrote:

Just checked that out looks interesting! I'm trying to think more slimline for my game as smaller parts but definitely leaning towards inserts idea in some form.

Thanks for your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience with this outside RPGs. The most complex example I've seen is for games like SWIA which I think is a bit much - GM bag, player bags, hands of cards vs. built draw decks, filled out campaign log, etc. Approaches what u must do for an RPG.

I think this will depend on how much & what kind of info to track. E.g. on player side if just a bunch of stats, those could be sliders or dialers so store easily, with pockets for any accumulated cards. If there's campaign info, depends on if tracked with cards or what else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
crazybyzantine wrote:
I don't have much experience with this outside RPGs. The most complex example I've seen is for games like SWIA which I think is a bit much - GM bag, player bags, hands of cards vs. built draw decks, filled out campaign log, etc. Approaches what u must do for an RPG.

I think this will depend on how much & what kind of info to track. E.g. on player side if just a bunch of stats, those could be sliders or dialers so store easily, with pockets for any accumulated cards. If there's campaign info, depends on if tracked with cards or what else.

Yeah good suggestions I'll probably mix and match, I like the idea of sliders, the goal is to have the game deep and exciting while modular, portable and understandable with a tutorial to introduce key gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably aware of Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy, which rely heavily on stickers. If you don't like the idea of permanently marking cards, you can use card sleeves and slide something inside the sleeve.

There's always the old standby of RPG-style character sheets where the players just write everything down. If you want to start a new game, just print new character sheets.

Geosphere wrote:

IIRC it does require a little bit of writing to keep track of your level and the selectable bonus you picked when leveling up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Yes just read up on pandemic legacy actually but I'm thinking permanent not so great for this. Card sleeves are an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like a booklet, with sleeves? Something like a scrapbook.

You could insert cards into various equipment slots, and have the adventure's progression recorded in chapters, with card(s) received as consequence for the session's outcome.

Level / character progression could happen on a chapter to chapter basis, and you could "retire" a chapter into a summary journal a few sessions later.

Flipping through the pages would provide a convenient recap of what's happened... if you wanted to get really crazy, perhaps the DM could confiscate or alter the "past" to create non-linear story-telling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
razordaze wrote:

You could insert cards into various equipment slots, and have the adventure's progression recorded in chapters, with card(s) received as consequence for the session's outcome.

Level / character progression could happen on a chapter to chapter basis, and you could "retire" a chapter into a summary journal a few sessions later.

Flipping through the pages would provide a convenient recap of what's happened... if you wanted to get really crazy, perhaps the DM could confiscate or alter the "past" to create non-linear story-telling.

Wow that's very out of the box haha! That is an interesting thought, especially the past editing bit, wish I could do that with mine haha. Currently a mixture of the ideas plus the use of wet erase markers for longer use data. I'm so excited and Ive not done more than prototyping for about 3 weeks now haha. Planning to buy a laminator and try yo design the ideas.

Thanks for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
You're probably aware of Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy, which rely heavily on stickers. If you don't like the idea of permanently marking cards, you can use card sleeves and slide something inside the sleeve.

There's always the old standby of RPG-style character sheets where the players just write everything down. If you want to start a new game, just print new character sheets.

Geosphere wrote:

IIRC it does require a little bit of writing to keep track of your level and the selectable bonus you picked when leveling up.

Yep. You put your character card in a sleeve and just fill in boxes on the sleeve with a sharpie. It works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nytician wrote:
razordaze wrote:

Wow that's very out of the box haha! That is an interesting thought, especially the past editing bit, wish I could do that with mine haha. Currently a mixture of the ideas plus the use of wet erase markers for longer use data. I'm so excited and Ive not done more than prototyping for about 3 weeks now haha. Planning to buy a laminator and try yo design the ideas.

Thanks for all your help!

Love the book idea, that playing the game creates an ongoing story. That seems like powerful imagery, and also a cool way to store and transport the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
look up the upcoming game The 7th Continent. In that game they have hundreds of cards to save in the right order from session to session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.