32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Scythe & Weed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antony Kat
msg tools
I'm not keen on eurogames nor am I well versed in Scythe so take this critique for what it's worth but had an itch about this game I just had to scratch. What's all this euphoria about scythe's theme, it really does very little for me. (Yes, the art is beautiful.) These lavishly themed, euro games remind me of a scene from the movie "Go." One of the lead women go to a rave and sell aspirin, disguised as ecstasy, but tells everyone "Just make sure you smoke a lot of pot." The game play for the most part is Euro-Bayer aspirin & the artwork & some of the minis- the pot. I unfortunately do not get very high on this game because essentially it's a euro with for the most part rail roaded best moves with a little variation not quite rigid, Puerto Rico style moves. I love abstract games like chess but most euro games suffer from solitaire play with little to no interaction with others. At least in chess every move an opponent makes cannot in any way be ignored, if you want to win, and each move deeply effects your strategy and next move albeit there are quite programmed openings which evolve into free style mid game and on. Also there is an Ameritrash element to chess. I like that you have to checkmate, kill/capture, the king and not count e.g. stupid point accumulation- "so let's see I have 4 pawns and a rook & you have a bishop & knight. I win 9 to 6." Anyway I'm not duped/doped by the razzle dazzle seeming theme of Scythe. give me the ecstasy of War of the Ring any day over the plodding, wimpy Mechanized gameplay of scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe never advertised itself to be an Ameritrash slug-fest. If anything, I'd wager that your unenthusiastic experience was due to a case of mis-managed expectations and lack of research. It never claimed to be a war game or dice-chucking kill-fest. Rather, it's primarily a EURO engine builder, drawing heavy inspiration from games like Terra Mystica. If you even looked at a single gameplay or even description, you'd see that it's EURO to the core.

Not enjoying a game is one thing, but don't blame the game for "duping" you, as it's your fault for assuming that a game with chrome means mindless ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
So you didn't say whether you own the game, nor do you mention if you've even played the game. All you do is make general whimsical comments about it, analogies to a B rate movie at best from the 90's that nobody recognizes or can relate to, and whine about what you don't like in this game. Are you expecting pity or empathy? Take a digital enema and get over yourself. Your time would be better spend sounding accolades for War of the Ring which you seem to like better. Nice trolling post though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i just managed to beat The automa.

I really dislike euro Games, but scythe has this little something That makes each game unique and satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spield20 wrote:
I'm not keen on eurogames nor am I well versed in Scythe so take this critique for what it's worth but had an itch about this game I just had to scratch. What's all this euphoria about scythe's theme, it really does very little for me. (Yes, the art is beautiful.) These lavishly themed, euro games remind me of a scene from the movie "Go." One of the lead women go to a rave and sell aspirin, disguised as ecstasy, but tells everyone "Just make sure you smoke a lot of pot." The game play for the most part is Euro-Bayer aspirin & the artwork & some of the minis- the pot. I unfortunately do not get very high on this game because essentially it's a euro with for the most part rail roaded best moves with a little variation not quite rigid, Puerto Rico style moves. I love abstract games like chess but most euro games suffer from solitaire play with little to no interaction with others. At least in chess every move an opponent makes cannot in any way be ignored, if you want to win, and each move deeply effects your strategy and next move albeit there are quite programmed openings which evolve into free style mid game and on. Also there is an Ameritrash element to chess. I like that you have to checkmate, kill/capture, the king and not count e.g. stupid point accumulation- "so let's see I have 4 pawns and a rook & you have a bishop & knight. I win 9 to 6." Anyway I'm not duped/doped by the razzle dazzle seeming theme of Scythe. give me the ecstasy of War of the Ring any day over the plodding, wimpy Mechanized gameplay of scythe.

And really, who cares whether you're duped or not? Not me! I'm too busy enjoying this awesome game (and I've owned and played well over 500 games in my time), from Sorry to Scythe)! Scythe pleases me. Don't care what it does for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*yawn*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm a lot more into aspirin than ecstasy, but I'm not sure what that has to do with boardgames...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
The Chicken of DOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear OP: thank you for taking the time to come to the Scythe forum just to tell everyone that you didn't like, understand or appreciate the game. Your comments are really valuable. I was under the impression that I loved this fantastic game and have had many enjoyable plays of it, but you've made me realise that I've been duped by the razzle dazzle. The fact that you're "not keen on euro games nor well-versed in Scythe" only make your comments more incisive and well-informed. Thank you.
I'n now off to troll the War of the Ring forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of get what you're trying to say, and you're kind of an ass -- thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Negative opinions are absolutely fine. I never understand why people seem so put out by people not liking the game they love. HOWEVER, duped?? Are you kidding me? This is probably the most reviewed game if the year. You knew enough to come to the forum to write your opinion, but you didn't know to look at playthrough vidoes or other reviews to see what all the hype might be about?

Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, but this is not 1998. We have resources to let us make informed decisions about games. A small amount of research by you could have allowed you to save your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigus69 wrote:
Thank you.
I'n now off to troll the War of the Ring forums.

That must be fun to watch! Screenshot or link, please whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Freeber
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is an intoxicating power to be smarter than everyone else and not part of the 'herd.'

I'm so fine that people don't like Scythe that I don't even bother trying to defend it. Very rarely do I enjoy something only to be told by somebody else that I actually don't and that changes my mind. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Munchkin....)

Sometimes you just have to let people have their opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go is a good movie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Go is a good movie

Not really. Now Go was a good Moby song.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Das DoppelGanger wrote:
There is an intoxicating power to be smarter than everyone else and not part of the 'herd.'

I'm so fine that people don't like Scythe that I don't even bother trying to defend it. Very rarely do I enjoy something only to be told by somebody else that I actually don't and that changes my mind. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Munchkin....)

Sometimes you just have to let people have their opinions.

With a lot of luck, I actually hope this post does somehow convince a handful of people to become non-believers. That way, I might actually be able to get my hands on a reasonably priced copy of the game sometime in the next 2 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Go is a good movie

Not quite, but Go is a pretty good abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
See, I was thinking the post was going to be about playing Scythe on weed, which isn't my kind of game, but could be hilarious all the same.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the strangest review I've ever read. I think the OP must have actually been high at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP seems to have looked at some pictures, but done no other research before either buying (?) or playing (?) the game. Now he feels "duped". If only there was a website where videos, reviews, session reports were gathered together, he could have found out about Scythe before his investment! Thankfully, he can cuddle War of the Ring and it will comfort him. We can breathe easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Scythe to my game group on Friday night. The box got a wow reaction, but I had to then explain that despite looking like a thematic game it is really a dry euro style worker placement/economic engine game.

Due to late arrival of a couple of players we did not end up playing it anyway.

Scythe art gives off a certain vibe that the game fails to bring to life. In that respect I agree with the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
The OP seems to have looked at some pictures, but done no other research before either buying (?) or playing (?) the game. Now he feels "duped". If only there was a website where videos, reviews, session reports were gathered together, he could have found out about Scythe before his investment! Thankfully, he can cuddle War of the Ring and it will comfort him. We can breathe easy.

If Mage Knight is any judge, Scythe is in for another two years of people complaining on the forums about its supposed false promises. (Because minis + map = Ameritrash.) So y'all have that to look forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
I had to then explain that despite looking like a thematic game it is really a dry euro style worker placement/economic engine game.

Scythe is not a Worker Placement game. Not every game that has wooden meeples called workers uses the Worker Placement mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Go is a good movie

Not quite, but Go is a pretty good abstract game.

Never played it. Go is a decent Pearl Jam track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.