Subject: Can the minions be painted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I may just but this game just for the amount of minions you gee so I can paint them if it is possible....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Christmas is hard, no Santa pony for now :|
badge
Smile despite hardships! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard they're made of a paint-resistance, zero friction alloy of metal developed to stop people from trying to paint the minions. A failsafe against incompetent painters, I presume.

There's probably a EULA inside too that makes painting the minis illegal; if Riot want something painted, they give it to you already painted, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that Riot will make their money back 100X by selling the only special paint that will work on their miniatures. (Makes you wonder if this whole thing was their master plan to break into the paint biz?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about all these sarcastic people. The answer you are looking for is no, they cannot be painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ben

Now that all the yahoos have had their fun, yes you paint the minis. Actually I think adding a little paint here and there would be cool.

Now back to your regular scheduled sarcasm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
bigGameGeek wrote:
Sorry about all these sarcastic people. The answer you are looking for is no, they cannot be painted.

Is wash polyurethane or something that can't be listing over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:
Hey Ben

Now that all the yahoos have had their fun, yes you paint the minis. Actually I think adding a little paint here and there would be cool.

Now back to your regular scheduled sarcasm...

LIES! LIES AND DECEITS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We actually painted a few in house just to see how they'd turn out, and I have to say they look pretty amazing. When I go into work on monday I'll see if I can find them and take a few snaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But to be really clear, the minions only come with a light wash to make the details pop. I hate the practice of showing painted pieces in marketing and then you find that you really just bought something that was unpainted. I know it's a common practice that we're all used to, but it's also a pet peeve of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, I would like to see them. Sometimes a miniature does not have a lot of detail or is made with a plastic that does not look good painted. So that is where my question was really coming from...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we tried painting the washed final minis? The painted ones on my desk are the early prototypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, those are the ones I'm referring to. If that's the case then I don't think we've ever tried painting the washed ones. I'd be interested to see how they'd come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catzpaw wrote:
We actually painted a few in house just to see how they'd turn out, and I have to say they look pretty amazing. When I go into work on monday I'll see if I can find them and take a few snaps.

I was going to make this a separate post, but I can probably just ask it here.
I was thinking about what color(s) I was going to paint the minions. Red is the main color in all of your promotions, but I know that League of Legends plays red vs blue so maybe I should do half and half... Then, I spent far too long trying to figure out what purple minions are (I hear they are OP! ) to no avail. I even tried to download LoL, but it blue-screens my computer 5 min into every game, so that didn't work. (that's not a dis on Riot at all, it's probably just my machine because it crashes the exact same way on Kerbal Space Program.)
My questions are:
1) What are purple minions and how do you get them in League of Legends?
2) Are there more colors besides red, blue, and maybe purple? (not counting player mods)
3) Thematically does it make any sense that the minions in MvM would be different colors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
1) Alright, so a little bit of a history lesson. When LoL first came out there were two sides represented by the colors Blue and Red. The Blue side was your own team, whereas the enemy side was Red. Early on the palette was changed to Blue and Purple, but has since swapped back to Blue and Red. Some older players will still say Purple side when they're referring to the enemy team.

2) Barring any strange new game modes we decide to make, there are only two sides - Blue and Purple/Red.

3) Thematically I'd say it would make more sense for all the minions to be Red, since Blue minions would be the ones that are on your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We also used the model of the red minions (axe) instead of the model for the blue minions (different shaped cowl, and they use a hammer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Christmas is hard, no Santa pony for now :|
badge
Smile despite hardships! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
1) What are purple minions and how do you get them in League of Legends?

On League's main map, Summoner's Rift, there's an epic monster called Baron Nashor. When your team kills it, every champion on your team gets a buff for a few minutes that makes allied minions around them grow in size and power. It also makes the affected minions purple-ish.

While it's a cool thought, I'd say without converting the models painting the minions purple would miss the point, as they'd lack the added mass and size... but that's only if you want to stick as closely as possible to how things are in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Here's what the minions look like painted. We did two slightly different color schemes, as you can see. Also note that these were pre-production models, which didn't have a wash on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Wow they look absolutely great. I hope that with the wash, they can still potentially look as good as this!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter lowe
Ireland
Carlow
Co. Carlow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cleaned them with washing up liquid and painted these. No primer and the gray is the original colour.
time will tell if the paint lifts but feels solid and easy to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Zhang
msg tools
Wow. Could you guys post a video of how you painted the minions? They look fantastic. I can't find online how to paint the metal armors like you did in the picture.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.