Subject: Exploration Cards and System Status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm stepping through a game solo, and I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding a few things.

The Federation sent a ship along a space lane and discovered Janus VI. I pulled an Exploration Card, and it was the Iconian Probe. The ship was destroyed.

So now the System is empty. If/when I sent another ship there, I assume it must survive the system hazard again. If it does, then do I pull another exploration card? Or do you only ever pull one exploration card per system when you first reveal the system?

Also trying to understand the various statuses that a System may be in: what about a system (as above) that's just sitting there with no civilization on it? Is that by definition a virgin world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you only use one exploration card for each new system. so in your example, a card is drawn and resolved, the system then remains empty and open for colonization.

the only unusual thing that happens would be this, if you explore a new world, that has a hazard, and the hazard destroys you. you have not resolved an exploration card in that system so to represent that you place an exploration card face down on that system and the first ship so survive the hazard at the planet then gets to resolve the exploration card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Only when you first reveal a system. Not each time someone encounters it. Also. Don't believe you draw on hazards(nebula and storms) otherwise you'd be drawing warp capable civilizations on nebulas lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules specify you only draw exploration cards for systems that contain a planet, but not for phenomenons.

note, a hazardous system is one that contains the danger level icon, some planets are hazardous and still draw exploration cards.

the different states are;

-system has an unknown exploration card as the exploring ship didnt survive the hazard, the next ship to enter and survive will face the card's effect

-the system has a "remains in play" exploration card, the card is resolved each time its text can be applied

-the system is empty; the exploration card drawn has been resolved previously and left the planet devoid of any civilization ie its virgin.

-the exploration card revealed that a civilization is present (warp-capable or pre-warp), pre-warp must be colonized, warp-capable must either be invaded or hegemonized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, gents. This explains it perfectly.

So the systems that have inherent dangers--those dangers never go away? Even after the Federation has colonized and built nodes, etc.? Every time a ship visits the planet, it is at risk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Thank you, gents. This explains it perfectly.

So the systems that have inherent dangers--those dangers never go away? Even after the Federation has colonized and built nodes, etc.? Every time a ship visits the planet, it is at risk?
correct, but you only brave a hazard when you end your movement in the system (or if you spend a command explicitly to brace the hazard). You do not have to brave the hazard when building ships in the system or when moving through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, your shields do help with hazards. If you increased your shield modifier to 1 and you enter a system with a level 5 hazard your ship would be destroyed on a roll of 6 only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check. Thank you all again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and of course, the Federation can't colonize a Prewarp Civilization, because its against The Prime Directive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
...and of course, the Federation can't colonize a Prewarp Civilization, because its against The Prime Directive.

And we all know the Prime Directive has NEVER been disobeyed in the history of Star Trek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

This was something my brain hiccuped on when reading the rules the first time. The feds can't colonize, invade or try a hegemony on a pre-warp civilization. Basically, that is a useless system for the fed player. There's no way to take advantage of it's resources or build anything (nodes or starbases). Unless I'm mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
chas59 wrote:

This was something my brain hiccuped on when reading the rules the first time. The feds can't colonize, invade or try a hegemony on a pre-warp civilization. Basically, that is a useless system for the fed player. There's no way to take advantage of it's resources or build anything (nodes or starbases). Unless I'm mistaken?

they can wait till someone else colonizes it then hegemony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
The feds can't colonize, invade or try a hegemony on a pre-warp civilization. Basically, that is a useless system for the fed player. There's no way to take advantage of it's resources or build anything (nodes or starbases). Unless I'm mistaken?

They can't colonize a pre-warp civilization. No one can invade or hegemony a pre-warp civilization.

To your point, yes, pre-warp civilizations are effectively dead systems to the Federation unless another faction colonizes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
Klaxas wrote:

Is this the preferred strategy for the Federation to handle pre-warp civilizations? Or would it be worth the resources for the Feds to essentially "protect" the planet from any rivals' colonization attempts, as to deny them the free production? The second option seems thematic, but in gameplay, it would probably be an inefficient use of resources/ships. Any thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DiGiorgio
msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
chas59 wrote:

And we all know the Prime Directive has NEVER been disobeyed in the history of Star Trek...

they need a Kirk card that allows you to disregard the PD, and of course get a girl and leave her behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

Is this the preferred strategy for the Federation to handle pre-warp civilizations? Or would it be worth the resources for the Feds to essentially "protect" the planet from any rivals' colonization attempts, as to deny them the free production? The second option seems thematic, but in gameplay, it would probably be an inefficient use of resources/ships. Any thoughts on that?

in practice one of two things will happen, the planet will either be on the outskirts of your empire, or centralized. if it is centralized, you will most likely colonize past it and end up protecting it as part of your empire if it is on the outskirts someone else may colonize it then you will hegemony. but many times people will still leave them as they know you cant colonize them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.