Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the actual scale is for this game?

What I am trying to do is accessorize my game. I have read in other posts that 1/43 is the answer but... I am thinking that was an estimate. It doesn't seem correct. I could be wrong I just don't know for sure.

I have the truck and if I can match the scale, all is good. If I can't then I am going to get "close" and not use the truck.

Any other thoughts of things I could buy to make Greensville fill out without breaking my wallet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I measured the height of the fully standing American Soldier miniature, from boot sole to top of helmet, at 1.25".

Thusly we could infer that 1.25" = 6', which comes out to around 1:57 scale.

But that's only a rough estimate of the actual scale used!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:

Any other thoughts of things I could buy to make Greensville fill out without breaking my wallet?

Look at O Scale model rail road stuff. Some is very expensive, some is dirt cheap. Plasticville is one brand that has a lot of useful items which would fit in.

My Trailer Park set uses a lot of stuff from them and other model rail road scenery companies.

Many more pictures here: http://s247.photobucket.com/user/CptJake_Minis/library/Mobil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 1/54 is the answer. I will look at stuff in 1/57 just to see.

Based on what a friend told me; he said the proper way to measure a figure is use millimeters and measure from the bottom of the foot to eye level. If you measure the figure to the top of the head the math will be off. He did not know why.

I suspect it has to do with hobbyist establishing a 6' figure at eye level which means all figures are not at a true scale. Anyways...

30mm is what I measured from the bottom of the foot to eye level. 30mm converts to 1/54 which gives you a MUCH higher quality and better range of diecast vehicles. At least that's what I see on a eBay search.

At least I know the range I am looking for when I go to Hobby Lobby in a few minutes. Okay maybe longer than that, it's raining very heavy right now.

Thanks for the responses so far, I'll share what I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I was only going off the height of the average American soldier... around 69"-70". Then add about .5" for the boot sole and another 2.5" for the top of the helmet is why I suggested an even 6'.

But 1:57 vs 1:54 doesn't make much of a difference at all, for your purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You are absolutely correct, that is until you shop between the 2 scales.

Do it and you'll see what I'm taking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature scale is more of an art than a science as there is no actual standards in place by/for the various wargame sculptors. The model railroad folks have it easy! For a while there was an effort by the hobbyists to settle on a standard measurement of sole to eyes, in mm with a corresponding ratio scale. It fell apart when the rug players weighed in because the wargamers said 6 feet and the rpgers said 5 feet so all the ratios were wrong.

It is all about art, artists, presentation, style and silliness.

Then there is Games Workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

michaelwmcfall wrote:
Quote:

You are absolutely correct, that is until you shop between the 2 scales.

Do it and you'll see what I'm taking about.

Hmmm. Interesting. I see now what you mean. Didn't have a clue that 1:54 was even a production scale! I just assumed there was 1:48 scale, then 1:64, and nothing between! Shows you how much I've been paying attention. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Didn't have a clue that 1:54 was even a production scale! I just assumed there was 1:48 scale, then 1:64

I thought the same exact thing. I'm still surprised at the difference in quality.

I collect toy soldiers. What surprised me there was 1/30 verses 1/32. Insignificant difference right? Until you the two side by side. The 1/30 then has a gigantic dwarf head compared to the 1/32 scale.

I still mix them anyways. You just can't display the 2 side by side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I have a question of scale I usually refer to this page:

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

So 1/54 is the scale for most mini games these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I bookmarked that page. That will definitely come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
When I have a question of scale I usually refer to this page:

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

So 1/54 is the scale for most mini games these days.

That is the page I was referring to. It is the culmination of many years of mostly good natured debate and some hot-headed discussion. It is an awesome reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That page is great! Maybe it's due to the late hour, but I'm not grasping what ratio the metric scales are in?

For instance, is the 10mm scale supposed to be, 10mm = 1 meter? If so, then why not call it 1:100 scale?

But that doesn't work out, as it's listed between 1:160 & 1:200 scales. Hmmm... will have to wait till the morning to do some math!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The metric 'scales' are not scales. Thy are measurements of the figures, generally from bottom of foot to eye (or top of head...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jakecarol wrote:
The metric 'scales' are not scales. Thy are measurements of the figures, generally from bottom of foot to eye (or top of head...)

Jake, thanks...

So this means all 10mm figures are standing erect? No one is crouching, or leaning forward? They're all exactly the same height? Are they all clones?

My response is sort of half joshing as your reply is what I expected, but not till after I posted my question and thought about it a little more. Hence my snarky questions above.

Also, does this mean that any vehicles molded in the same 10mm scale are at the same height as the 10mm soldiers? whistle

Just trying to make sense of how you can have scale figures without using a scale reference!

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.