$20.00
$15.00
Gavin Colgan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi all
Getting a twice a year 'sad gits' session together, where 5 of us escape the families, trash the hosts house, play a couple of games then poker.
We will start with eldritch horror...but this stretches our grey matter now. Have enjoyed Small World (quick and easy) but just found the balance and luck too much. Any thoughts for alternatives here?
Thanks for any help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you want something pretty light rule-wise. Risk Legacy?

Cosmic Encounter could also be a good choice, especially since you guys enjoy the bluffing aspect of poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Colgan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks...but no to Risk in any form

Was tempted by Cosmic Encounter myself....don't know it but may be a bit too political....and they will always gang up on me as the 'knower of the rules'.
Looking for something where people can be aggressive, especially after 3 hours of cooperating at eldritch horror!!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavrok wrote:
Thanks...but no to Risk in any form

Was tempted by Cosmic Encounter myself....don't know it but may be a bit too political....and they will always gang up on me as the 'knower of the rules'.
Looking for something where people can be aggressive, especially after 3 hours of cooperating at eldritch horror!!
Thanks
I would not be too worried about people ganging up on you. You generally don't get to decide who you attack in the game (though you can decide who you ally with in the battles), and it becomes clear pretty quickly that you need to gang up on people with strong powers who are in a position to win.

As for Risk, it is totally understandable, especially with the dice rolls. However, this game plays pretty different other than that as you play to victory points, and the games last from like 30 min to and hour and a half. Plus I feel like the legacy element would be amazing for a group of friends getting together like that. It would give you lasting elements from each get together. It definitely might not be for you, but I would say don't pass on it just because of the Risk name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Colgan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just checked.....huge prices!!! Think that's a no-er.
(however looks good- my type of game..but perhaps not the others...arrgggh)
Theme looked very historical- i'm ok with that but 'funner' themes would sell themselves more
Thanks for the suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Colgan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How about Kemet???
Anyone tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II could be a good option. The mechanisms are quick and easy to learn, and it gives players options for how to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavrok wrote:
How about Kemet???
Anyone tried it?
I played it once and didn't care for it (though I would like to try it again). I actually thought about recommending it, but one thing I will say is that it can be pretty overwhelming at first. There are a lot of upgrades and it is not clear how they mesh together for the first play through at least. In fact, even after playing I still didn't feel like I had a good sense of the strategies of the game. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely won't feel light the first few times at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.