Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the unfortunate position of being a relatively recent fan of Stefan Feld's games. Which means, of course, that many of his greatest games are now OOP. This one, in particular, has really piqued my interest. But of course, it and its expansion currently fetch really ridiculous prices on the secondary market.

Now, as I understand it, Jorvik is a reimplementation of Speicherstadt, but the fact is that I just hate the viking theme they are giving it. I know that probably seems silly, but I really love the charming artwork, and even the theme, of the original.

Do you think there's any chance we'll see a reprint if the original with Jorvik on the horizon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
br4nmuff1n wrote:
I am in the unfortunate position of being a relatively recent fan of Stefan Feld's games.

Fixed that for you

Nah, just kidding. To answer your question: I would deem it extremely unlikely that parallel to the release of Jorvik there will be a reprint in any form of The Speicherstadt. However, I would expect that (unless they screw up the new game somehow) the actual release of Jorvik drives down somewhat the secondary market prices of Speicherstadt, with people selling their Speicherstadt base game to acquire Jorvik which includes the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat. I am not interested in the Viking theme. I managed to hunt down a 'like new' copy of the base game Speicherstadt on eBay (German version). But the expansion Kaispeicher is really hard to get and/or expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speicherstadt is a great game and one of my favourite Feld games. Z-Man had to sell off a good amount of stock of it to discount stores. (That's where I got my copy!). As much as there are those of us who are tired of / dislike Viking themes, I suspect the impulse to buy a game about a German warehouse district, with a name that is equally hard to pronounce as it is to spell for English speakers, was pretty low. Whether or not that's the reason it didn't sell so well, I'm gonna guess that's what Z-Man thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I have The Speicherstadt but could never find a copy of Kaispeicher. I'm in the same position as some of the other posters here in that I hate the viking theme and don't like the art I've seen from Jorvik. The warehouse theme is not especially memorable, but I prefer indifference to outright dislike.

Right now I'm trying to decide if my desire to play the expansion (we almost always play two players only) outweighs my dislike of the new theme and art. I could sell my original base game to finance the new version and even have some left over but does that matter if we never play again because we don't want to stare into some dude's beard braids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
...I suspect the impulse to buy a game about a German warehouse district, with a name that is equally hard to pronounce as it is to spell for English speakers, was pretty low...

This. The Speicherstadt killed any chance of a Speicherstadt reprint (at least in English). I wish Jorvik well, but I much prefer the original theming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jórvík is the reprint of of The Speicherstadt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I have The Speicherstadt but could never find a copy of Kaispeicher.

Yup. That's my boat. Rahdo indicated that Kaispeicher makes Speicherstadt more playable with 2, which is my usual player count. Add to that list for me Macao and In the Year of the Dragon. If they've resurrected Ra & Medici, why not these Feld classics? Wondering if they're locked up in some kind of copyright purgatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

Yup. That's my boat. Rahdo indicated that Kaispeicher makes Speicherstadt more playable with 2, which is my usual player count. Add to that list for me Macao and In the Year of the Dragon. If they've resurrected Ra & Medici, why not these Feld classics? Wondering if they're locked up in some kind of copyright purgatory.

Kaispeicher certainly makes the game meaner (a lot meaner) and adds more paths to victory (which are lacking in the base game). Whether it makes it "more playable with 2" is debatable IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
We've always enjoyed the base game just fine with two and it was one of our favorite couples games for a long time. Whenever I heard about the expansion it always included a mention of "great with two" so it got stuck in my head as one of the few game expansions I was actually interested in (probably in part because it was unattainable).

We talked after I posted this and decided that the only way to solve the dilemma was to play The Speicherstadt a whole bunch over the next few weeks to decide if we felt like it needed anything more at the expense of being exposed to all that facial hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

I assume you already saw this, but good news! Ravenburger is reprinting In the Year of the Dragon with the expansions! And Notre Dame, also! I already have Macao, but it seems like maybe it will eventually come back too?

FWIW, I played a couple of rounds of Jorvik at BGG CON as a demo, and I thought the artwork and theme were fine. As with most Feld games, the theme is basically pasted on anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.